Mandatory Coverage - Mass.

Not sure if this topic has been brought up elsewhere, I could not find it .....

If it has then I will delete this thread, just let me know ....

Anyone practicing in Massachusets? With the requirement to have health insurance, more individuals will be utilizing the benefits of such a policy. What are your thoughts on this new demand for medical care? I have not seen much literature on how hospitals/gov have been preparing to meet this demand. What is being done?

• 3 years later...

Some people have told me that reinbursements are going down. Some people are finding it harder to keep the doors open. I spoke with a Dr. the other day that said he is basically breaking even and not having a lot left over to live. But like he said if you look at many other countries with complete medical care the medical people do NOT make a alot. We have a system in the U.S. where medical school costs a lot but the rewards keep going down. Many medical people will never pay off their loans. Where is the money coming from to pay????? Let's face it the insurers want to pay the least that they can and that is a fact of life.

Some people have told me that reinbursements are going down. Some people are finding it harder to keep the doors open. I spoke with a Dr. the other day that said he is basically breaking even and not having a lot left over to live. But like he said if you look at many other countries with complete medical care the medical people do NOT make a alot. We have a system in the U.S. where medical school costs a lot but the rewards keep going down. Many medical people will never pay off their loans. Where is the money coming from to pay????? Let's face it the insurers want to pay the least that they can and that is a fact of life.

Salaries are lower overseas but these providers have less educational debt and less burden from the costs of their own medical care.

I like it - have been in and out of mass since 2002 (mostly in) really nice to not have to explain to people that care costs money (those that did not have insurance) and in turn give away free care to people. now I would saw 95%+ of people have insurance and most the one's with out are making the conscious choice to not have it. Lots less free care and a lot more paying patients. Unsure if reimbursement went down, but can still make a living. My IM Doc's are making 200+ per year as partners.

Overall a good thing in my eyes.

Archived