Hello I'm new to this website and forum but I have a plan to continue my education to become a Physician Assistant specializing in Dermatology. I wanted to hear from PAs or students who are in the minority specially the African/black community. I am a 24yr old Female, Jamaican-american. I plan on applying to a PA program here in Florida in the next 4 years, and was hoping to get some more information and advice please!!
I will be attending an accelerated program (5-6months) to be a Medical Assistant (Sept.- Feb. 2020).
After I am licensed in MA, I would like to reapply to UCF for my biomedical sciences degree. Where I can get in my hours for healthcare experience as an MA and finish my bachelors before applying to PA school.
I have just a few concerns:
1. Is becoming a MA worth it before PA school? or worth the money to go to school for? I'm worried because most companies here are looking for bilingual MAs. I do want to learn another language preferably Spanish, but later on while I get my B.S in Biomed (Also I do not want to be CNA or RN).
2. Is a biomedical science degree more looked at to enter a PA program? Which degree/major is also acceptable if I decide not to go the science route but I make sure I take my required science classes?
3. As a minority do we have an advantage or disadvantage to enter a PA school?
4. Does anyone have experience as a PA student either at NOVA or Barry University? If so, how are the professors and the overall work load?
5. After becoming a PA, do we experience racism throughout the country in our profession? (Regardless if we do or not, no one is going to stop me from doing my job correctly, I will treat every race with respect. I would just like to know because I'm curious since again there is not many of us as PAs.)
6. How was the job search for you as a minority? How long did it take to land a job in your specialization?
7. Are there any forums or websites to find a black PA to shadow? or if anyone can refer me in central to south Florida locations?
8. I am highly interested in this career but want to know if this profession is worth committing to and seeking a job for in the years of 2024-2028? I know that's a stretch time but I like to be prepared lol
Thank you for your time!!