EMT-Basic for HCE

I just posted about deciding between pre-med and pre-pa but I've decided to pursue PA school with full force and all my focus. I'm currently a History major (they actually have a good acceptance rate into medical school and I love the classes) but I'm new to the PA thing and I'm wondering if it's appropriate. I'm only a sophmore so I don't have alot of time invested and could switch, but if I were to get my EMT-Basic certification and continued in my history program would that be suitable HCE? I figured out the math to obtain 2000> hours and I could fit that in my schedule with classes no problem. Would 2000 hours as a volunteer EMT at the local fire dept be acceptable or do PA schools want to see paid work, or not EMT at all? There is a four year Paramedicine program at UMBC nearby and a Respiratory Therapy degree at towson. I could do one of those but I'd prefer EMT-B with history if I could be competitive with lots of hours and a good GPA. thanks.

I'd like to reiterate that I'd prefer not to go the RRT/EMT-p route because I wouldn't be able to start working until after graduation. This means matriculation would take longer as I'd have to accrue an appropriate amount of hours for a competitive application. I'd prefer to finish the history program because I love the subject and at university of maryland it is free because my mom works there. I also could take the emt class during the summer and just volunteer on the bus/ER during undergrad.

I have worked as an EMT-b and an EMT-p for some years now. Most schools want paid hands on experience since that gets you the most hands on medical experience. Here in California EMT-B can work on a BLS ambulance (which isn't the greatest experience but depending on where you work it can be) or ride with a medic partner, which is great experience. They also have the option of working in a hospital either on the floor or in the ER. Basically if you can get involved in the healthcare and see a wide variety of patients it will benefit you the most. Also, and you will hear this a lot if you read the other forums, SHADOW A PA!! Actually knowing what a PA does and be able to ask them questions is invaluable.

Good Luck!

Archived