2016-17 MEDEX PA Jan 19th Interview-ees Meet up

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Everyone,

I am checking into the Watertown Hotel on 1/18/17 for interviews the following day. I read in one of the other forums that there's an area close by the interview location with a bunch of food and coffee places. Really looking forward to meeting!

Does anyone have a good idea of what to expect for the interview?

Jeremy

I live in Seattle, but unfortunately do not know of a particular excellent location to meet up at. I honestly am fine with Starbucks. Very much looking forward to meeting everyone. 

Jeremey- I have been trying my best to prepare since finding out about my interview! So far I'm pretty much only reading online forums and a book that I bought. It's definitely best to prepare for the team format, as that is the information that MEDEX sent out. What about you?

Hi Andora,

I have also been reading a book about PA school. I also took on the task of compliling all of my academic writings into one bound volume and reviewing some of my personal journals.

I am also speaking with every PA I know about getting my head in the game.

Since our interviews are in groups of three meeting up before will be one of the strongest ways to prepare.

Really hope we make it!

I've been preparing by reading forums and several PA books I have, and speaking with every PA I know.  I really do not have a good idea of what to expect.  I have had one group interview in the past and it wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be.  I think the best advice is to just be yourself, be honest, and stay away from canned answers.

I will also be checking into the Watertown the afternoon of 1/18.  Does anyone think that meeting at the site of the interview would be a good idea to familiarize ourselves with the environment, calm nerves?  If not, I am willing to meet anywhere else.  Jeremy, since you will be at the hotel let me know if you would like to get together.

Does anyone have any idea if they have already started filling spots for the Seattle cohort?  I personally did not submit my application until the October deadline, and wasn't contacted until 12/21 for an interview.  I think there may still be hope for others who submitted late.

Denise

I don't know about the Seattle cohort. I personally submitted my application very early, which was a first since I am a major procrastinator! I am sure they will stand a good chance, though :)

I think that meeting at the Watertown hotel beforehand for practice is an excellent idea. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Hi Crystal, 

I too am flying in to Seattle the day before the interviews and staying in the Watertown Hotel.  I would be very happy to meet up.  Denise, who is also interviewing is going to be there too.  Maybe we should pick a specific location and time like was originally suggested by Joito911 and post in this forum so everyone can get together?

What time does your flight get to Seattle? My flight is scheduled to arrive in Seattle at 1:36pm on 1/18.  I am planning to ride the train to the Watertown.  What is your plan? I have been checking out Anchorage online and trying to figure out all the specifics on how to get my family and belongings up there if I am offered a seat in class.  Do you live near the MEDEX program?  Is it on the University of Alaska campus?  Lots of questions...I really want this opportunity and I am super excited about it.

Respectfully,

Jeremy

I too made reservations to stay at the Watertown hotel. I plan on checking in before the evening traffic starts.

Meeting in the hotel lobby sounds good. See you all at 5:30.

I have been preparing for this interview via. book and online. I feel that our answers needs to be genuine and not scripted.

Meeting together will help our nerves and hopefully feel more relaxed during the interview.

Looking foward to meeting you ALL!

Hi Shawna,

Glad you joined in. I think your right about being genuine and not scripted.  Last semester I had a professor that focused on leadership as a process of being self-aware to increase congruence with one's values.  This promotes  authenticity, cultural diversity competence, and being present with one's emotional center.  I think the interview will be a gauge of how connected we are with our emotional center.

I really like the fact that we are interviewing in groups.  Hopefully being in a group will have a synergistic power to increase all of our potential!

See you soon!

Respectfully,

Jeremy 

Hey all! Best of luck to you in your upcoming interview. I was accepted for this coming year and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I interviewed last year as well, and both times, no matter how much I tried to "prepare" they really just ask you questions to get a sense of who you are, your personality, and your ability to articulate your thoughts. The whole day is super fun and relaxed. They aren't trying to be tricky in the questions that they ask and everyone is incredibly nice. My best advice would be to relax, have fun, rest the night before, and def meet up for dinner the night before. There were about 18 or 20 of us at dinner in my group and we had the best time which also made for an even more fun interview day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hello all!

Excited to meet all of you. I will try to be at the Watertown maybe around 5 or so on the 18th, just in case anyone arrives early. I live pretty close, so it's not really a problem. I guess the main lobby is good? I could where a sign, I suppose, to increase visibility :). 

I also agree with Jlynneg. I have interviewed with two people thus far- one current MEDEX Tacoma student, and a friend that has an interview for med school on the 16th- and in both instances, the answering style that I developed from research, primarily the interview book written by that Harvard guy, the answers sounded way too canned and fluffy, or were just downright not the right thing to say. I have also practiced interviewing myself in front of a mirror. The responses always sounded better when I calmly thought about the question and how I wanted to address it, and then respond. Plus, it's more genuine and fun! Think of it like you're interviewing the school-which in fact you are!

See you all very soon!

Andora

Hello Everyone!

I too got an interview on the 19th and I am curious, is this for applicants for the Tacoma and Anchorage sites? Did any of you apply for the masters program? I applied to just the Tacoma program. Anyways, I'd love to meet all of you before the interview, it looks like we're planning the day before, which works for me. I live in North Seattle, so if I can help any of you out in anyway let me know. Just contact me on here via pm. If any of you live in the area and would like to meet up soon let me know, my schedule is fairly flexible. Good luck to you all!

Tom Riordan

Hi jlynneg,

Thank so much for offering some comfort about the big day. I really want this and hope my personality is what the MEDEX staff is looking for. How was the Human Anatomy and Physiology 'warm up' course?

Jeremy

I'm part of the upcoming class so that A&P doesn't start until March 1st.

Excited to meet you all!  I live in Renton and will be driving in about 3ish.  If anyone wants to contact me prior to meeting on the 18th my number is 505-463-1140.  Anyone else interviewing for a spot in the Seattle cohort.  So far I've heard Anchorage and Tacoma.  Emilyk, Shawna808 and Joito911 what class are you interviewing for?

Denise

jlynneg,

I have a few more questions.  Once the interview was complete, how long was it before MEDEX informed you of your acceptance?  Do the PA classes only begin on March 1st?  In the interview, are responses open to the floor or does each candidate have an allotted time to respond to each question?

Again, thank you very much for helping prepare the way for us back here that are following in your foot steps!  It's nice to know that thoughtful and considerate individuals like yourself are what the MEDEX is searching for.

Respectfully,

Jeremy 

jlynneg,

I have a few more questions. Once the interview was complete, how long was it before MEDEX informed you of your acceptance? Do the PA classes only begin on March 1st? In the interview, are responses open to the floor or does each candidate have an allotted time to respond to each question?

Again, thank you very much for helping prepare the way for us back here that are following in your foot steps! It's nice to know that thoughtful and considerate individuals like yourself are what the MEDEX is searching for.

Respectfully,

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

My interview was on Saturday Dec 10th and I was notified at 1030am on Weds Dec 14th. Yes all students begin class on March 1st. It is the online portion and then Summer quarter in June is when all classes will be at the Seattle campus for all MEDEX students M-F from 830-4. Each interview session (you have 3) are an hour long. No, there is no time allotted to each applicant for their responses to individual question. Most questions are nothing you can truly prepare for. It is best to relax, be yourself, and speak from your heart. It will allow them see who you really are, your personality, and your passion for becoming a PA will shine through.

Jenni

Hi guys!

I'm also interviewing on January 19th for the Anchorage Medex program, and I can't wait! I'll see you guys at the Watertown Hotel at 5:30 :) if anyone wants to text me or get in contact beforehand let me know, email me at kkcarr at alaska.edu and we can exchange numbers.

See you guys soon, and remember to just be yourself. We're all going to be great.

-Kelly Carr

Archived