What HCE is immediately available for me?

Hey, I'm planning to graduate this fall with a B.S. in Kinesiology/Clinical Rehabilitation and I am looking to get some HCE this summer and then perhaps a better position after graduation while I go through the application process of PA school (more related to my major, but with the right PCE, such as a CV tech).

I am about to apply to a bunch of CNA and medical asst. jobs at a hospital nearby, but I have no certifications. Is this a waste of time?

Due to my past interest in the O&P field, I focused mainly on opportunities related to it, so excuse my experience:

16 hours of shadowing O&P Practitioners

40 hours of volunteering at a hospital's O&P department

120 hours as a production assistant for a prosthetic socket manufacturing/fitting company

I've been swamped this semester, but I know I could ask some of the practitioners I've shadowed for a connection to a PA I could shadow. Otherwise, I need a job ASAP.

Am I on the right path?

A lot of hospitals will hire CNAs without the certification, or take a summer EMT-B course (8 weeks I think) and work as a basic or ER tech.

Hospitals where I live weren't hiring CNA's even with certification. I applied to 4 different hospitals (several times) in the city where I live and...nothing. However I agree that CNA, EMT or ER tech are good, inexpensive ways to get your foot in the door.

Hospitals where I live weren't hiring CNA's even with certification. I applied to 4 different hospitals (several times) in the city where I live and...nothing. However I agree that CNA, EMT or ER tech are good, inexpensive ways to get your foot in the door.

My EMT course was ~$1300 and ~10-11wks long (160hrs)....something to keep in mind, kind of pricey and time consuming when working full time and taking an online genetics class... just look in to certifications and program in your area.  I would have chosen a different course that I could have completed in shorter time but taken later on in the year, had I known how time consuming it was going to actually feel like to stretch it out over a long period of time...

Archived