Emergency Med New Grad Offer

Hi Everyone, 

I received this offer for a busy ER. Please let me know what you think.

There is a 3 month "provisional" period where I would still get the starting new grad pay but no benefits yet. After 3 months, if all goes well, benefits kick in. But during the first 3 months, I would still get sick leave as mandated by the state. 

Pay:

Starting hourly pay: $60/hr

Pay increases with time and productivity 

Pay Differentials: 

Weekday evenings = +$5

Weekday Overnight = +$15

Weekend shift = +$10

Weekend evening = +$15

Weekend overnight = +$25

Overtime pay:

Overtime Pay:

1st – paid by day. Any hours worked OVER 10 hrs are paid 1.5x shift work. Any hours worked over 12 hrs are paid 2x shift work.

Then if employee work more than 40 hrs per week (but not more than 10 per day), those hours in excess of 40 hrs are 1.5x rate of shift worked that put them over 40 hrs.

Benefits:

- 6% for pension

- Health insurance

- Vision

- Dental

- Disability

- Malpractice insurance 100%

- 10K bonus for retention if stay full time for 5 years

- CME allowance of $500

- Sick days available after 30 days of work

- PTO eligible after 1 year of work 

Shifts are 10 hours; 12 shifts per month qualifies for FT benefits. Most FT PAs average about 14 shifts per month, says we can work 16 shifts and FT employee get priority in scheduling over part time. 

I really like it at this ER. Do you think the pay is reasonable? Is the 3 month provisional period something I should worry about or is that pretty standard?

I'm not too worried about hours, I'm sure I can get at least 12 shifts per month to be full time.  I have the potential to do per diem at another ER too so I could always pick up shifts there if I needed more hours. I'm just worried about the 3 month period and if the benefit is good. PTO not kicking in until after 1 year is strange but it is ER and stacking shifts is always a possibility. Please let me know, thanks!

Could you please expand on your offer of "Pay increases with time and productivity"? And where is this being offered?

Thanks.

Sorry, I can't really. Because they do pay raises on the individual level base on my performance and productivity. So I'm not sure how much or when pay raises would occur. 

Looks mostly good. CME is low. I'd try for atleast 1500 and 5 days off.

Thank you! Are you concerned at all about PTO not kicking in until after 1 year? I know a lot of ER PAs don't have PTO at all and just have to front load or backload their shifts to go on vacation... Also, is the 3 month provisional status standard?

3 months provisional is not standard, however your pay rate is significantly higher than standard for a new grad so might be a fair trade off. only you can weigh in on that. weekend overnight +25 is unheard of. I get an extra $5 for any night shift and nothing extra for weekends/holidays/etc. also don't get 1.5x for overtime at most places.

cme is low.

who pays dea, licenses, etc?

3 months provisional is not standard, however your pay rate is significantly higher than standard for a new grad so might be a fair trade off. only you can weigh in on that. weekend overnight +25 is unheard of. I get an extra $5 for any night shift and nothing extra for weekends/holidays/etc. also don't get 1.5x for overtime at most places.

cme is low.

who pays dea, licenses, etc?

Thank you for your feedback! I would pay for my own dea/licenses. 

If all of the other benefits kick in after 90 days, why doesn't PTO?? I guess I find that strange. Usually you accrue PTO by a percentage over at the beginning of the pay period or month, so it isn't like you'll have a lot to take from the beginning, I've just never been told no PTO for a year.

Congrats Calipa! Sounds like a great opportunity. Your pay looks great. I concur with marktheshark- and think you should counter with increase in CME ($500 isn't enough for most conferences and would barely get you an EMRAP subscription). I would ask for $1500. Also, they should pay DEA/licenses.

It never hurts to counter!

Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived