HCE advice needed

Hi,

I've been working toward becoming a PA for years now, and faced a ton a setbacks. First, setback #1: I have a Bachelor degree in Fine Art, so I had to take a lot of classes. I have taken cell bio, A&P, chemistry, microbiology, medical terminology and pathophysiology all with a 3.9 GPA. The next step was to get the necessary health care experience, so I left my well paid management job for a position as a Physical Therapy Aide. I got seven months experience working with patients, then the clinic had to lay people off due to some bad financial decisions - I was one of them. So, setback #2: I had to take whatever job I could get, and since most of my experience was in retail I had to go back to that. Now, I'm faced with figuring out another way to get HCE. I was thinking of volunteering? Or should I take out more loans go back to school and become a medical assistant? I've already devoted years trying to be a strong applicant and was hoping for advice on what to do without quitting my job and being in a financial mess to get more HCE. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

sounds like you have a good start on your quest to become a pa.

if you can't find other pt asst. positions you might look at emt-basic and cna training. both are cheap, short and have flexible training programs so you could do them around a work schedule. don't take out more loans.

if you already have 1000 hrs of work experience as a pta there are several programs you could apply for without getting more hce.

good luck.

Agree with EMEDPA - there are programs who would consider you presently. As he said, EMT-Basic or CNA training is a good way to get the HCE you need. I am a proponent of EMT training over CNA training if you have the option, but both will get you set up. Your science GPA is solid, your prior life experience will be invaluable as well. I think you will be a good candidate, maybe even now. Keep getting the experience and see what's out there.

Andrew

Thank You! I've started looking into programs that require 1000 hrs or less, but I'd like to have some better HCE under my belt just for the experience. That said, I plan to apply next summer regardless because I'm getting anxious to get into school and be a PA! I'd love to hear any thoughts on volunteering and if that would help?

Volunteerism is always viewed highly, especially if it's in your hometown/community involvement type stuff. Unfortunately, unless it is volunteering in a professional capacity (as an EMT or other licensed provider) it doesn't usually count for HCE (though this varies school to school). An EMT course would be more worth your time, I think, even if you don't have much opportunity to practice in the field. And you're 100% correct: the more HCE you get prior to PA school, the easier the program will be and the better you'll be for it.

Andrew

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize EMT basic was only six months of training. I wish I would have done that a long time ago! I did sign up for some volunteer classes in the Emergency Team through the local fire dept. They teach everything from natural disaster training to basic medical triage. It isn't until March, but that will give me a little boost before applying . . . Thanks again for the great advice.

I'm not positive that this works as I haven't really asked many questions about it, but I believe scribes are considered paid HCE? At one of the hospitals where I work PRN (x-ray tech) I see different scribes in the ER all of the time. I asked one day what they were, and they are doing that for paid medical experience for acceptance to medical school. Just a thought, and good luck to you :) It sounds like you definitely have the drive and determination to become a PA. You will be accepted, in school, and finished before you know it!

Archived