Applying to lots of schools

I assume I find myself in good company with applying to several schools. I have a 3.1 overall gpa, graduated with a BSW in 2008 & took my prerequisites over the past few years with a 3.6 gpa average. I have applied to several schools, not so much out of desperation, but rather the mine set of, if "I don't try I'll never know." I know my lower gpa will get my quickly dismissed from several schools but here is my question, when interviewing & getting asked the question of, "which schools did you apply to?" How do I best answer that question? I don't want to lie, but I also don't want to appear desperate. Do schools see on caspa where you apply? Please advise.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My understanding is that programs do not see the numbers or names of other programs. If they ask, be honest: you want to be a PA and want to cast a broad net to do so. In my opinion it is either arrogance or obliviousness to the challenges of entering PA school to only apply to one school.  

Guest JPG13

Schools expect you to apply to other programs, I think they just want to figure out where they might fall in terms of competitors 

There's another thread that comments on this as well.  Schools sometimes want to know who you consider their competition (even though students are competing more for slots than schools are competing for students!).

I 'cast a wide net' myself.  But when asked, I did make it clear that I had no limitations on WHERE I go to school so I took the time to do at least a cursory review of EVERY school that uses CASPA; I've worked in many parts of the country, so I am not unacquainted with the area for most of them; my interests are broad at this point so I selected schools for application that were professional in their presentation, provided the most information about their program, have demonstrated good 1st time PANCE pass rates, and appeared to appreciate diversity (even with the variety of people entering the PA field, I'm an outlier in multiple respects).  

I'm not positive, but I don't think that is a question they're "supposed" to ask and would be surprised if they did.  But I second coptopa's post and would just say you realize your GPA makes some schools dismiss you quickly and you have a strong desire to be a PA.  I did the same thing this year, 20 schools - what a headache !

I'm not positive, but I don't think that is a question they're "supposed" to ask and would be surprised if they did. ...

At least 3 of the schools where I applied asked as part of their supplemental. Two others asked in the context of the interviews.

I posted a similar question in another thread (link) and received the following response from an admissions director:

I would ask that question for two reasons:

1. I am interested in who might be considered peer institutions. This can vary from year to year and will change as new programs open.

2. I am looking for some kind of rational though process in why a candidiate selected a set of schools (location, mission, etc.) If someone comes in for an interview I generally ask why they picked the schools they did. If it looks like they drew the names out of a hat and can't articulate a reason I would be concerned.

I would not worry about answering it - there is no sinister intent. In the end programs only have one goal - we want to admit students with the best chances for success.

This was just my experience at one particular school, but during one interview I was required to write down every school I applied to. The interviewers made a pretty big deal about my "long" list (11 schools, all of which I chose very carefully) and they clearly didn't like it. The interview got pretty uncomfortable after that..all their responses were along the lines of "well you applied to so many schools so you don't need us to accept you, you can go somewhere else". Most schools don't have a reaction like that, and if they do, it's not the right fit for you anyway.

SHU-CH is a nice guy, but I don't really give two flips for the answers he provided.

The school that is openly shaming students for applying to "too many" programs should be publicized.  What a dirty, low blow.  Put human beings on adcoms and it's amazing how fast some of them get a god complex out of it.

Archived