How Much of an Impact did Your PA School GPA Have on Your Employment?

If I were to guess, I would say PA school GPA matters much more for your first position and then your experience takes the lead from there? 

yes. my first job was impressed with my gpa/class rank, the program I attended, and my board scores. after that it was all about experience.

• Administrator

Pacific doesn't give grades or class standings, and I had zero problem with that.  Got phone screens for 4/5 jobs I was interested in, 2 weren't a good fit, got the FM offer I wanted, and politely thanked the final job (GI) and withdrew from their process after my initial phone screen but before I interviewed.

Pacific doesn't give grades or class standings, and I had zero problem with that. Got phone screens for 4/5 jobs I was interested in, 2 weren't a good fit, got the FM offer I wanted, and politely thanked the final job (GI) and withdrew from their process after my initial phone screen but before I interviewed.

Wow things have changed...we most definitely had letter grades and class rank!

• Administrator

Wow things have changed...we most definitely had letter grades and class rank!

The collaborative approach--you could never hurt your own success by helping your peers--was a deal maker for Pacific in my mind.  Of course, reality is that we were 40-odd very different people who all got on each others' nerves occasionally, but the structure of the program supported collaboration.

• Administrator

Rev, 

How does your transcript look upon graduation?  Are all the classes just listed as P?

Yep.

I should find a way to get a single graded graduate credit from my school, and get a 4.0 in it, because then my entire PA school graduate GPA would be 4.0.... ;-)

I just found this on indeed.com check out the bold print... I guess GPA matters in NY

Physician Assistant - Cardiothoracic Surgery

Responsibilities - CUMC

Physician Assistants at NYP:
A Growing, Autonomous Team

Step into a high-achieving hospital, where premier clinicians deliver personalized care. Join our team as a full-time Cardiothoracic Surgery PA, and be a part of Making It Possible.
As one of the world's leading heart centers, we are at the cutting edge of new therapies. Every day, we are meeting the needs of patients with extraordinarily diverse problems, performing over 1500 complex cardiac procedures each year including hybrid, minimally invasive and robotic procedures.

Physician Assistant - Cardiothoracic Surgery

Join our expanding adult cardiac surgery service where there is 24/7 PA coverage.

Preferred candidates for this role have at least one year of experience along with current NYS licensure. New graduates with a G.P.A above 3.5 are encouraged to apply. This role requires three 12.5 hour shifts per week, including some weekends and holiday scheduling. This opportunity includes operating room, SDU, ICU, and hybrid responsibilities.

• 4 weeks later...

Obviously I plan on doing the best I can in PA school regardless of where I go but right now I have to choose between two programs: Pacific University uses Pass/No Pass and Loma Linda uses grades. If for whatever reason I decide to apply to a residency program after PA school am I going to be ineligible if I don't have a GPA?

Not one employer or prospective employer ever asked me what my GPA in PA school was. All they wanted to know was: 1. did I have my license? 2. did I pass the boards? 3. Do i have my DEA number? 4. do I have my BLS and ACLS? 5. have I ever been suspended, my license revoked, privledges denied, named in a lawsuit, or been convicted of a felony?

In 13 years, I saw one ad that wanted a PA with high scores (I'm guessing on the PANCE) which I though was more of a reflection on the doc than any thing else (I know him personally).

NO ONE CARES.

Seriously. Sometimes a big name academic program may get you noticed, but at the end of the day the only things employers care about are 1) your license, 2) your credentials, and 3) your experience.

Not once has anyone asked me about GPA or Board scores. And I was in the 99th percentile so I wish they would! Lol. They only ask about experience and legal stuff.

Hospitals in NYC may ask if you're a new grad. Here's a recent job posting I came across: 

Physician Assistant - Internal Medicine

New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
Job ID: 711240
Full Time - Nights
Three 12-hour shifts are required per week
Some weekend scheduling.
One year inpatient exp. preferred.
New grads with gpa >3.5 encouraged to apply.

Archived