Class of Probation 2016

Ask any healthcare provider or facility in the region today about A.T. Still University, and they will tell you, “that is the place with the P.A. program that has fallen into probation.” 

Here is a helpful conversation to learn for students entering the Class of Probation 2016: 

Prospective future healthcare employer:  “I see that you attended A.T. Still University, isn’t that the school that fell into probation?” 

You:  “Well, yes, but our program director told us it’s no big deal and you shouldn’t worry about it either.” 

Prospective future healthcare employer:  “Your assessment of the impact of the probationary condition of the program was based on what staff members told you?  Isn’t that like asking a car salesman whether a damaged car is safe to buy?” 

You:  “No.  Well, you see, the problem was that students were missing out on rotations that are required by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant.” 

Prospective future healthcare employer:  “Oh.  You paid $70,000 to a P.A. school that couldn’t even provide the fundamental educational requirements to train and practice as a P.A.?” 

You:  “Well, $73,910 to be exact.  Luckily, the ARC-PA didn’t terminate our program in March of 2014.  Otherwise, I would have had to wait another year to try to get into a different school's P.A. program.” 

Prospective future healthcare employer:  “Let me get this straight.  You attended a program that: 

1)  Could have been cancelled by the accreditation agency shortly before it started. 

2)  Is $29,038 more expensive than a nearby program in a bordering city. 

3)  Is known by the entire healthcare community to be a program in trouble, forever placing a black mark on you for the rest of your career?  Not only did you attend the School of Probation, but you entered the very year where it could have closed down.  How desperate are you?”  

You:  “But the staff said they are really caring.” 

Prospective future healthcare employer:  “During your interview, did you ask the instructional staff why none of them stood up and took any action when P.A. students were being cheated out of their education?  The students gave the instructional staff $73,910 of their hard earned money.  Why didn’t any of the instructional staff do anything?  How caring were they, really?”  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why I didn't apply to this school.  I don't want to have to explain to all of my co-workers and any knowledgable patients about the probation.  it puts a negative vibe over everything.  I also don't want to feel like people are questioning my competency behind my back.  Even if co-workers or patients don't say anything, I would always feel like they are looking for mistakes or errors.  The reputation of a school really matters.  It will be on your hospital or clinic webpage when you start working.  Patients will Google the school and see that it has problems.  

This is obviously an extreme scenario, but I did turn down my interview here after being accepted to another school. I'm sure the program has been revamped and will be a great program once accreditation is re established, but i didn't see a point in interviewing at a school who may or may not get their accreditation back, when I had been accepted to another school. 

I will say that the whole probation reputation A.T. Still has will only have an impact if you apply for your first job in Arizona or the surounding areas, and it would probably not be a large impact.

where you went to school has nothing to do with who YOU are when you're in the room or in the OR with that patient. Rest assured that ATSU has a more than high opinion in the valley and the number of alumni holding positions speaks for itself.

My patient's opinions will be formed by how they are treated and cared for by me. If you believe the ramblings of a troll or uneducated opinion, please do not apply and continue to be ignorant. I turned down Duke, Utah and MEDEX and it wasn't because I live here. I was not only invited by these schools, but their program directors and admissions staff directly contacted me when I declined as they know I'm am an exceptionally strong candidate.

And as for future employment, again, please stay away. My ATSU degree is waiting to be completed by at least 4 trauma surgeons as they are anxiously awaiting to hire me and my classmates.

Live well... elsewhere

Uscbigdawg:

A: Excited that you decided to stay :) :) 

B: Phew, we dodged that unstable looney bullet.

It sounds as though this individual has some sort of attachment to this program to bad mouth to that extent.

where you went to school has nothing to do with who YOU are when you're in the room or in the OR with that patient. Rest assured that ATSU has a more than high opinion in the valley and the number of alumni holding positions speaks for itself.

My patient's opinions will be formed by how they are treated and cared for by me. If you believe the ramblings of a troll or uneducated opinion, please do not apply and continue to be ignorant. I turned down Duke, Utah and MEDEX and it wasn't because I live here. I was not only invited by these schools, but their program directors and admissions staff directly contacted me when I declined as they know I'm am an exceptionally strong candidate.

And as for future employment, again, please stay away. My ATSU degree is waiting to be completed by at least 4 trauma surgeons as they are anxiously awaiting to hire me and my classmates.

Live well... elsewhere

Uscbigdawg.... I was just accepted to ATSU and I am thrilled.  However, I was curious about your post.  You were accepted to some of the top PA programs in the country...they are the envy of most applicants.  I have family members who are ATSU alumni and I have nothing against the program but why ATSU over those other programs?  I know you said it wasn't because you live here and perhaps this is too personal of a question but I was just curious how you came to make your decision. :)

uscbigdawg, first off, your reply to my comment was pretty rude as I was just sharing my experience not implying anything bad about the program or students. For starters, I admit that what I meant by "non-accredited" is that A.T. still is on probation, which I understand, however, I do see the original posters point about there being a risk of the school losing accreditation and not knowing until close to before the program start. I am not bashing on anyones decision to take that risk. Now your second argument is a facile argument and of course you can't speak for everyone in Arizona by saying A.T. Still has an "excellent reputation." I know I will get crap for this, but you seem very defensive in all of your comments on this thread which makes me feel that maybe you aren't too confident in your decision, and if I had an interview offer to Duke and Utah, I wouldn't be very confident about my decision either.

It is not my intention to upset anyone, but I am surprised by the defensiveness and emotionality of the responses to the original poster.  It tells me that some very legitimate issues may not be getting fully processed.   

A non defensive reply would directly address the arguments made in the post, and avoid ad hominem or "personal attacks" against another individual. 

For starters, is it a legitimate concern that teachers who failed to address preceptorship failures in the past, could allow other problems to occur in the future?

Prior to seeing the school, I did not know much about the school besides what I read online. I knew they were on probation status, but I wanted to check out the school anyways. When I interviewed at the school last week, I had nothing but good a vibe and experience throughout that time. The chair was open and honest about the probation status. He informed all the interviewees in the beginning of the session that the school was placed on probation and explained their plan to resolve the issue. Knowing the school's reputation in the healthcare education, I am confident that school will do whatever it takes to comply with the board standards.

During the interview, I was interviewing the faculty and current students as much as they were interviewing me. The program is solid with staff that wants only their students to succeed. All the faculty were open and honest. They had nothing to hide when I asked them questions in regards to the program and preceptors' perspective about their students. The current students were welcoming, honest, and helpful. They even gave out their emails if we needed to contact them for ANY questions. I have been to other interviews where current students were not friendly and felt obligated to show the interviewees around. I have seen faculty member at another school put interviewees on the spot and made them feel uncomfortable. My interview at AT Still was a fun and memorable experience.

Ok, well I have rebuttal to what's been said, but I think instead I'll just let it go, since it is a waste of time. i'm sure AT Still has a good program and I wish everyone luck who is applying or been accepted.

That's a good idea nate, it's really not worth your time. Last time I tried having this conversation with uscbigdawg he just cussed me out via personal message. To be completely honest, I would not want to go to this program just because he would be my classmate. But everyone has their own fit and will go where we are meant to go.

YOU could never upset me.

So as for lightening up, go **** yourself.

And for the gentle hearts, it's like my wife says. Yep, my husband is in fact an asshole, but he's one to everyone. So, while he is, he also is more honest than most and knowing where you stand is better than someone being a friend to your face and stabbing you in the back.

So yeah, I could be all cuddly and friendly or I could be the d ick. In the end, above all else, I'm honest and that is often too much for modern society to handle. I don't apologize for it. Don't like it, too bad.

BTW aiviphung, I did pull my applications from UCD and both Touro's after getting interview invites, so now you have a chance to get in this year. Can't say I haven't done something nice for you.

H&K's

I have the stats to get into PA school on my own merits thank you.

So glad I withdrew my app to ATSU. This is exactly what I'm talking about. You couldn't pay me enough to spend two years with someone like this.

Good luck to you in practice with your charming personality and proud-to-be-a-dick attitude. Just what doctors and patients want in a PA.

Archived