Any schools that accept online science courses w/ lab?

I understand that every school has their own pre-requiste requirements, I like to know if anyone knows any specific schools that will accept online courses that offer lab as well, specifically Microbiology and Organic Chemistry.

I was surprised classes this difficult were accredited and offered online with in home lab kits or online virtual labs.  (University of New England and Ocean County College)

Due to time constraints I feel like this is a great opportunity.

Thank you

You are asking questions that I doubt anyone knows the answers to. Most of us went to one PA school! Talk to the schools or at least last the admissions person who posts in the sticky notes section.

You will find that the best way to learn something is to go to the source. The rest of us just know about our side of the elephant!

Good luck!

Do most or all schools look down on online classes? even if they have a lab?

Thank you for your response.

When it comes to pre-reqs or sciences...probably. Some programs do accept them or will have a max number of classes/hours that can be taken online. Some don't allow and online pre-reqs. Spend some time going through each program's website.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm taking the UNE online courses right now (biochem and micro). The micro class has an online lab component. UNE has a list of programs on their website that accepts these classes. Take a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thank you for your reply, I've checked the FAQ and the Post Bacc Sequence page, neither had a list of programs that accepts their classes.  Can you please be alittle more specific where you found the list?

Thank you

Thank you for your reply, I've checked the FAQ and the Post Bacc Sequence page, neither had a list of programs that accepts their classes. Can you please be alittle more specific where you found the list?

Thank you

This is the listing for biochem. But I would imagine if the program is listed here they accept other distance courses.

http://www.onlinebiochemistry.com/accepting%20schools.html

This is the listing for biochem. But I would imagine if the program is listed here they accept other distance courses.

http://www.onlinebiochemistry.com/accepting%20schools.html

That link was extremely helpful.  Can you tell me more about your classes (biochem & micro),

ie. how its structured, level of difficulty, how labs are graded/conducted, thank you!

From what i see, biochem online has been recently restructured?

That link was extremely helpful. Can you tell me more about your classes (biochem & micro),

ie. how its structured, level of difficulty, how labs are graded/conducted, thank you!

From what i see, biochem online has been recently restructured?

Of course! Micro is very straight forward. The tests are open book, open notes, etc. There is a quiz for every chapter. Each chapter has an online lecture to listen to. There are 4 exams, which are also open book. One of them is protored (see below for more on this...). The micro lab is kind of neat. It's all virtual. You buy software and conduct the experiments on your computer. It's not as cool as doing it in a lab, but it's convenient and I feel it's taught me a lot!

Biochem is a lot trickier... Which, from what I've gathered, is just the nature of biochem. There is a quiz every week, and 4 exams. 2 of those exams are cumulative, and proctored. It is totally closed notes and books and the teacher can be a little tricky.

Proctored exams; these are taken through proctor u online. It is an online company that has a proctor watch you take your exam through your webcam. They make sure you don't have access to any testing materials around your room, your eyes are on the screen, you are who you say you are, etc. This does a really good job of legitimatizing online courses. There's no difference between this and taking a class in person.

Both courses are technically self paced.

But you're expected to finish within 16 weeks (a standard semester). The nice thing is that if you're behind a week, you can catch up.

All in all I'm really happy with the online stuff at UNE! I definitely recommend it!

I hope this helps! Any other questions let me know!

I really like virtual labs. They aren't as time consuming, and if you mess up and need to start over, or if you just want to repeat it a couple of times to make sure you understand the process and the data right, that is easy to do. Plus, you don't have to worry about breaking stuff, and the cleanup is a breeze :)

Just out of curiosity, besides the convenience of an online lecture/lab course. Why would you want to severely limit the number of programs you could apply to by taking science prereqs with lab components online? Wouldnt it be more beneficial to take them in a classroom setting and give yourself a better chance of getting accepted somewhere?

Just out of curiosity, besides the convenience of an online lecture/lab course. Why would you want to severely limit the number of programs you could apply to by taking science prereqs with lab components online? Wouldnt it be more beneficial to take them in a classroom setting and give yourself a better chance of getting accepted somewhere?

I don't think hardly anyone who has the free time (or flexibility in their schedule) and money to take a campus class chooses the online lab courses. Like every other decision in life, you have to look at the pros v. cons, cost v. benefit, and so on. Why quit a well paying job that you've been at for ten years just so you can take Chemistry I on campus on Monday and Wednesday mornings with a Thursday afternoon lab because that is all that is available near you? And sometimes you just don't have a choice, such as when I was in the military. 

I also work full-time and the community college where I took many of my pre-req courses offered a lot of night time classes in their schedule or online lectures with in class labs for those of us with jobs. I guess colleges in other regions aren't as accommodating. Get it now. Thanks.

Archived