The letter about the trouble at chatham (aka probation status)

HERE IS THE LETTER THAT WAS SENT OUT TO PA STUDENTS AFTER THE MEETING ABOUT PROBATION, it was forwarded to me by a WELL WISHER OF THE SCHOOL.

To: Students in Chatham University’s MPAS program

Thank you for meeting with me, members of the administration, and MPAS faculty yesterday to discuss the MPAS program’s accreditation. As I mentioned then, conversations were already underway between Chatham and the ARC-PA, the MPAS program’s accreditors, regarding the adverse ruling. As a result of those conversations, I am happy to inform you that as of this morning:

(1) ARC-PA has agreed to allow Chatham to seek reconsideration of ARC-PA’s decision, which Chatham will do on or before April 23;

(2) pending a decision on Chatham’s appeal, ARC-PA will no longer require that Chatham declare that it is on probationary status.

We are by no means out of the woods yet, and we have a great deal of work to be done on the appeal and thereafter to address the issues that the ARC-PA identified. As I shared yesterday, some things have already been done, such as the decision to end Puerto Rico as a didactic site. Others will surely follow, both before and as a result of the appeal process.

I want to reassure you, however, that Chatham is doing everything in its power to fix this situation and ensure that the MPAS program is not just fully accredited, which it remains, but that the MPAS program also enjoys a sterling reputation with its accreditors – one commensurate with the reputation that the program and its students, faculty and graduates enjoy within the Chatham and healthcare communities.

Esther Barazzone

President

Sharon L. Fross, Ph.D.

Dean

College of Graduate Studies/Continuing and Professional Studies

Chatham University

Woodland Road

Mellon Center

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

SFross@Chatham.edu

412-365-1711 (Office)

412-365-1206 (Direct Line)