10-20 seconds "What a PA is"

I'm beginning to rotate on patients with one of my professors for a Pt. Evaluation course (1st year PA student) and I'd like to get some opinions from you guys on the best way to summarize exactly what we are/what we do. I know this can be done fairly easy, I'm just interested in hearing from you folks that have actually had this conversation with patients several times and can comment on the most impactful way to present/explain our profession (in a 10-20 second statement).

Thanks,

JD

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to rotate on patients with one of my professors for a Pt. Evaluation course (1st year PA student) and I'd like to get some opinions from you guys on the best way to summarize exactly what we are/what we do. I know this can be done fairly easy, I'm just interested in hearing from you folks that have actually had this conversation with patients several times and can comment on the most impactful way to present/explain our profession (in a 10-20 second statement).

Thanks,

JD

I'm not a PA but I feel like I would explain that you're a mid level practitioner similar to a NP but that your training is the medical model, so you are closer to a doctor than a nurse and you are allowed to treat and diagnose like a doctor can, except the doctor has to approve some decisions? This is basically what I tell people who don't know what a PA is but I'm sure it's an awful explanation so you know...you probably don't want to use this one. :sweat:

I'm not a PA but I feel like I would explain that you're a mid level practitioner similar to a NP but that your training is the medical model, so you are closer to a doctor than a nurse and you are allowed to treat and diagnose like a doctor can, except the doctor has to approve some decisions? This is basically what I tell people who don't know what a PA is but I'm sure it's an awful explanation so you know...you probably don't want to use this one. :sweat:

Say it in eight words.... "physician assistants are very similar to nurse practitioners". They will understand that.

Dang dude, that's ridiculous. I get that you were pre-PA and now are pre-NP, but that doesn't answer the question AT ALL. I'm also pretty protective of the fellow Med Techs on here, but I'm getting to a point where I don't understand your posts anymore. I'm wondering why you post as much as you do on a PA site. I understand there is a lot of back and forth between PA's, NP's and Docs here........but do you frequent any NP forums? Perhaps you should begin transitioning to those? Please stop telling PA students to introduce themselves as 'similar to nurse practitioners', that does NOTHING to support and build the PA profession. Makes us sound like we are second class providers when compared to NP's. You KNOW we are NOT. And if you can't see why your statement is offensive then you need to re-evaluate why you post here.

My answer to the OP's question:

I am a licensed health care provider that can diagnose disease and prescribe medications. I work with the physician to provide quality care for my patients.

That usually does the trick.

Say it in eight words.... "physician assistants are very similar to nurse practitioners". They will understand that.

Dang dude, that's ridiculous. I get that you were pre-PA and now are pre-NP, but that doesn't answer the question AT ALL. I'm also pretty protective of the fellow Med Techs on here, but I'm getting to a point where I don't understand your posts anymore. I'm wondering why you post as much as you do on a PA site. I understand there is a lot of back and forth between PA's, NP's and Docs here........but do you frequent any NP forums? Perhaps you should begin transitioning to those? Please stop telling PA students to introduce themselves as 'similar to nurse practitioners', that does NOTHING to support and build the PA profession. Makes us sound like we are second class providers when compared to NP's. You KNOW we are NOT. And if you can't see why your statement is offensive then you need to re-evaluate why you post here.

I am a licensed health care provider that can diagnose disease and prescribe medications. I work with the physician to provide quality care for my patients.

when asked what my training involed I tell them my personal story:

emt for 5 years, BS in medical anthropology, paramedic school, medic for 5 years, PA program with focus in em/trauma, ms in clinical em, postmasters cert in family and emergency med and currently in a doctorate program in global health.

if they want the short answer about what pa school is I typically say 2/3 of med school in half the time including the entire ms 3 clinical year.

emt for 5 years, BS in medical anthropology, paramedic school, medic for 5 years, PA program with focus in em/trauma, ms in clinical em, postmasters cert in family and emergency med and currently in a doctorate program in global health.

if they want the short answer about what pa school is I typically say 2/3 of med school in half the time including the entire ms 3 clinical year.

while I hate this answer, I have heard it many times from many people and it is something folks understand because the np's have a pr campaign.

I have been asked after giving my pa shpiel " oh, so you're like an np?" and I typically say the programs are similar but we draw more from paramedics than nurses and our clinical training is 2-3x as long based on the third yr of med school.

while I hate this answer, I have heard it many times from many people and it is something folks understand because the np's have a pr campaign.

I have been asked after giving my pa shpiel " oh, so you're like an np?" and I typically say the programs are similar but we draw more from paramedics than nurses and our clinical training is 2-3x as long based on the third yr of med school.

And I'm not going to re evaluate anything because YOU decided to take offense where none was intended or implied.

You are absolutely right, I chose to be offended. It may not have been intended but that is how it was PERCEIVED. And as they say, perception is reality. You didn't mean it that way? You should have clarified. Apparently I'm not even the only one on this thread who feels that way.

Tell me PAMAC, how do you describe your job as an MT? I worked as one for years and nobody knows what we are. I spent most of my time telling people that no, I'm not a phlebotomist. Do you describe it by comparing it to another field or do you validate your chosen profession by educating the person that is asking? I don't know about you, but I choose to educate. I have two professions that have very little public understanding. I make it a personal goal to help the public understand what I do by telling them, not comparing.

Yes NP's and PA's are indeed peers, but I don't personally know of any NP's that would be ok with their profession being described as 'similar to physician assistants'. I also work with an NP and I can tell you that she hates being referred to as a PA (there are 2 PA's and 1 NP in my office). Yes, NP's have a better lobby. Yes they are well known. But I'm not an NP, I'm a PA. It's my responsibility to educate my patients about what I do.

Archived