17 year old arrested for impersonating PA

An Osceola County juvenile faces charges Friday of impersonating a physician assistant. </SPAN>

Authorities with the Kissimmee Police Department said Matthew Scheidt, 17, was charged with five counts of impersonating a physician assistant at Osceola Regional Medical Center. </SPAN>

<XMLBLOX id=25364386 active="true" pool="orl" poolid="143"><UNIVERSAL_PROPERTIES active="true"><SUBHEADLINE></SUBHEADLINE></UNIVERSAL_PROPERTIES><XMLBODY><XHTML></XHTML></XMLBODY></XMLBLOX>Authorities said Scheidt conducted exams, provided patient care and accessed restricted patient information. </SPAN></SPAN>

An investigation found Scheidt was a part-time billing clerk at Surgical Management Group. </SPAN></SPAN>

Scheidt was being held at the Kissimmee Police Department, and investigators said he'll be transported to the Orange County Regional Detention Center pending further action in the case.</SPAN></SPAN>

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/health/29063711/detail.html#ixzz1WpQa6yp1</SPAN></SPAN>

"Our initial review of patient charts indicates that patients treated in the ER during this time received the medical care they needed," Osceola Regional Medical Center representative Vanessa Guevara said.

Wow, he's good. And to think I had to go through all those classes and clinicals in order to give patients the medical care they need. I bet he doesn't have anywhere near the student loan debt I have either.

http://www.wftv.com/news/29063519/detail.html

"Scheidt requested a new hospital ID badge and told the hospital that he had changed physician offices and that he was a physician assistant. Hospital officials told police that Scheidt was then issued a physician assistant ID card."

Silly HR, someone is going to recieve some reprimanding for that one.

IMO, the statement about Scheidt's pt's recieving "the medical care they needed", over this week-long period, is to save face.

ARGGH!!!! First thing I heard, the reporter said 'Physician's Assistant' and the second thing I saw on the article 'Physician's Assistant'.... These people need to learn the right way of saying the title before they produce this report. After these incidents, I didn't care much about the news... I felt like having these mistakes makes them not so credible. sigh.

ARGGH!!!! First thing I heard, the reporter said 'Physician's Assistant' and the second thing I saw on the article 'Physician's Assistant'.... These people need to learn the right way of saying the title before they produce this report. After these incidents, I didn't care much about the news... I felt like having these mistakes makes them not so credible. sigh.

I printed and showed this article to a few MD's, RN's and friends...Not one commented on the use of the title...IMHO I can safely say only PA's notice things like this...

This forum is the only place I have ever seen a big deal made of the apostrophe. I even see the apostrophe used in literature from colleges as they describe their PA program. I think it is so interwoven into mainstream you will have better luck changing PA to be physician associate before you will be able to drop the possessive form of the title.

As for the OP's article...That kid has huge stones to pull that off. Too bad all that creative energy is going to be wasted. Hopefully he can get on track with his life and do some good.

I printed and showed this article to a few MD's, RN's and friends...Not one commented on the use of the title...IMHO I can safely say only PA's notice things like this...

Interesting...I'm not a PA yet nor a PA-S. But, part of becoming one and just to be correctly informed, we need to know tiny information like those (PA's vs PAs). How will we teach the public if a mass medium fail to do so?...You know, that small mistake (') can be a HUGE problem (ie mistunderstanding the PA role, etc)... Just saying :)

He is facing 5 felony counts...

He would have been better off if he tried to pose as a Doctor who breezed through medical school and graduated at 16 like Doogie Houser M.D. They would have laughed him out of the building and he would not be facing multiple felonies.

P.A. students are trending down to be younger and younger... but 17... how did they NOT know he was a kid! Is there any street smart people in hospitals and medicine anymore? All you would have had to do to double check was call a few numbers. He had to have raised a few eyebrows...

On the bright side, at least we are popular enough to be impersonated now :;-D:

This is absolutely crazy, but I cannot seem to get past the mis-representation that our profession receives. Yahoo at first called it a "Physician's Assistant", but now they have down-graded the profession to a Physician's Aide. For some reason I let these things run right through me. :/ Maybe I just need to calm down before I blow a gasket.

That makes me angry

I have far too much on my professional plate to get worked up over what truly reflects the high level of incompetence of the hospital's HR and Medical Staff Office not to mention the ER Physicians!!!!! Lazy and stupid is no way to go through life.....it seems that the appropriate people at this hospital didn't get the memo!

BTW, I know some folks who actually graduated from PA school, who in my opinion are imitating PAs everyday they see patients! Those are the folks that get me riled up.

It just makes the media look dumb... in our eyes. The blissfully ignorant public will not know this though.

FREAKIN DOCTORS AIDE!!! are you kidding reuters... What if we stuck a "Roto" in front of their name... it should not matter right!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/florida-police-nab-teen-posing-hospital-doctors-aide-233556974.html

this makes me want to puke... but it gives us more cannon fodder for the name change. The kid is indeed old enough and could be qualified enough to be a doctors aide also known as Medical Assistant.

Archived