Failed PANRE miserably

I recently took the PANRE for the 3rd time in my 18 yr career. I have passed the 1st 2 easily. This year is the 1st time I studied for it. I took the test on a Friday and felt fairly confident. I got my results back early the following Monday as FAILED with a score of 207. 379 to pass. 200 is the lowest recorded score ever. Chance alone would score higher than 200. My score was 160pts BELOW the bottom 1%. Also, my content breakdown in no way reflects my skill set. I have worked in Ortho my entire career and scored 17 SD pts BELOW avg. I scored 23 SD pts ABOVE avg. in hematology an area I have NO exprience, interest or understanding and I did not even study this area. I have contacted NCCPA and I am getting NO loving from them. I believe something is amiss. I can accept it if I failed but not to this degree. i am not the smartest PA in the world but I am not the dumbest. Anyone ever had any similar problems with there test scores?

I am starting to wander why I want to be Certified anyway.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about your score. you'll get it next time. You can bypass it and just go PA without the C. A friend of mine who has been a PA for 30 years, let his C go a few years ago and then he retook the PANCE a few months ago and got his C back. He has been at the same job for 20 years so he didn't feel the need to renew his C. Anyway hang in there!

State specific...

As you know... some states won't grant you a license without the "C"... atleast for the "initial" license in that state.

Some states have much more onerous and restrictive practice rules in place for those without the "C."

For example... here PAs and PA-Cs file different paperwork with the state. PAs have many more limitations on scope of practice, location of practice and a required percentage of chart review/cosignature. Whereas PA-Cs have a much more liberal scope of practice, can work remotely from their SP and are only required to ensure adequate supervision with NO required chart review/cosign. As a matter of fact... here, PAs have "Supervising Physicians" and PA-Cs have "Sponsoring Physicians."

So in some states, locals... the "C" is worth maintaining.

YMMV

Contrarian

sounds like a scoring error. just retake it, pass it and move on.

the valedictorian of our class had the same thing happen. he got almost perfect scores on all the written sections of pance and a score of zero on all 3 practicals which is impossible. you get points for introducing yourself.

anyway his new place of hire realized there must have been an error, kept him on as a "student" with full pay and benefits and when he rocked the test at the next administration he just moved on with his career.

but granted, it would suck. sorry you have to deal with it.

Why not file a formal complaint with NCCPA and get a rescore of the test? Not sure they even do this, but obviously something went wrong..... they must have some type of check for IT mistakes?? atleast if they admit something went wrong maybe you can get a free next test....

FWIW, historically, people generally tend to score lower in the specialty in which they work.

The reason is usually due to OVERthinking the problems, and/or applying the most up to date knowledge.

You have to remember the board exam is usually about 2 years outdated. Good Luck.

• Administrator
Why not file a formal complaint with NCCPA and get a rescore of the test?

Indeed, I've seen a hand re-scoring option--at substantial cost to the candidate--available for most professional IT certification tests, and everything ETS administers. PANCE should have that option as well.

I'm getting ready to take PANRE in 2 weeks and I feel for you. Does anyone know which states PA's can practice in without the "C"?

I believe Washington was the last state to allow non-certified PA's and that ended a few years ago unless they were grand-fathered in. The VA and the prison systems I think allow non-certified PA's. The other thing to consider is whether billing is done under the PA and then whether the insurance company will pay without the "C".

Per AAPA. X=Yes - = No

State

Initial

Renewal

Reinstatementi

Alabama

-

-

-

Alaska

X

X

X

Arizona

X

X

X

Arkansas

-

-

-

California

-

-

-

Colorado

-

-

X*

Connecticut

X

X

X

Delaware

-

-

-

District of Columbia

-

-

-

Florida

-

-

-

Georgia

-

-

-

Hawaii

X

X

X

Idaho

X

X

X

Illinois

X

X

X

Indiana

X

X

X

Iowa

-

-

-

Kansas

-

-

-

Kentucky

X

X

X

Louisiana

X

X

X

Maine

-

-

-

Maryland

-

-

-

Massachusetts

-

-

X

Michigan

-

-

X

Minnesota

X

Mississippi

X

-

-

Missouri

X

X

X

Montana

X

X

X

Nebraska

-

-

-

Nevada

-

-

-

New Hampshire

X

X

X

New Jersey

-

-

-

New Mexico

X

X

X

New York

-

-

-

North Carolina

-

-

-

North Dakota

X

X

X

Ohio

X

X

X

Oklahoma

-

-

-

Oregon

-

-

-

Pennsylvania

X

X

X

Rhode Island

-

-

-

South Carolina

X

X

X

South Dakota

-

-

-

Tennessee

-

-

-

Texas

X

-

X

Utah

-

-

-

Vermont

-

-

-^

Virginia

X

X

X

Washington

-

West Virginia

X

Wisconsin

X

-

-

Wyoming

X

X

X

FWIW, historically, people generally tend to score lower in the specialty in which they work.

The reason is usually due to OVERthinking the problems, and/or applying the most up to date knowledge.

You have to remember the board exam is usually about 2 years outdated. Good Luck.

WE were warned about these points at a recent PANCE/PANRE prep. In fact they said most questions are three or more years old. The killer questions seem to be ones like "which answer is 'most' likely to" or ones where maybe three of the answers would be on your differential but picking the best answer may be counter to current thinking. Double negative questions suck as well.

@surfnturf....this happened to me a few weeks ago! I was shocked when I failed with a 261. I have practiced for 13 years, consider myself a knowledgeable PA and have never failed an exam (much less such a critical one). I studied using Appleton/Lange book, attended a board review course, and borrowed a friend's '08 binder from CME resources. I studied alongside 3 other PA friends and we all scored consistently the same on all of our practice tests. Yet my score was nearly half of theirs! It doesn't make any sense. I took the surgery component yet I don't think I have any "surgery" questions. I am also confident that my test in NO WAY followed the NCCPA published blueprint.

There have been two new variables introduced to change the PANRE recently. The first was the practice-focused components (surgery, adult or primary care) and also the change on June 1st of 240 questions instead of the 300. I feel that something has gone grossly awry since these changes were implemented. Computers are not foolproof. I received no help from the NCCPA when I called them but they did admit twice that they have recently been inundated with phone calls of concern. Isn't that indicative of a possible problem?

Surfnturf, I feel for you. I am depressed and quite disheartened about this situation. I hope more people speak up. I would appreciate and advice or insight anyone has, particularly to review materials successfully used since the new PANREs of June 1st. I have zero confidence now and want to get all new review sources.

@surfnturf....this happened to me a few weeks ago! I was shocked when I failed with a 261. I have practiced for 13 years, consider myself a knowledgeable PA and have never failed an exam (much less such a critical one). I studied using Appleton/Lange book, attended a board review course, and borrowed a friend's '08 binder from CME resources. I studied alongside 3 other PA friends and we all scored consistently the same on all of our practice tests. Yet my score was nearly half of theirs! It doesn't make any sense. I took the surgery component yet I don't think I have any "surgery" questions. I am also confident that my test in NO WAY followed the NCCPA published blueprint.

There have been two new variables introduced to change the PANRE recently. The first was the practice-focused components (surgery, adult or primary care) and also the change on June 1st of 240 questions instead of the 300. I feel that something has gone grossly awry since these changes were implemented. Computers are not foolproof. I received no help from the NCCPA when I called them but they did admit twice that they have recently been inundated with phone calls of concern. Isn't that indicative of a possible problem?

Surfnturf, I feel for you. I am depressed and quite disheartened about this situation. I hope more people speak up. I would appreciate and advice or insight anyone has, particularly to review materials successfully used since the new PANREs of June 1st. I have zero confidence now and want to get all new review sources.

This just happened to me as well. I took the test the same week as surfnturf. I never scored like that in my other 2 times. When I was taking it I felt like it wasn't anything like the panre of the last 2 times. Still I did feel like I passed. I did not contact them but now feel like I should. Did anyone compare their scores to the last time. Mine were not that different. I'm confused and depressed.

This just happened to me as well. I took the test the same week as surfnturf. I never scored like that in my other 2 times. When I was taking it I felt like it wasn't anything like the panre of the last 2 times. Still I did feel like I passed. I did not contact them but now feel like I should. Did anyone compare their scores to the last time. Mine were not that different. I'm confused and depressed.

Yes, please call them. I doubt that the system is completely infallible, particularly with the recent changes. When I contacted the NCCPA I was ultimately directed to email Richard Carr the exam coordinator. I did so and he replyed about a week later but did not answer my specific request to have my exam reviewed and instead explained how the scoring works with standard deviation (which I did not even ask about). Perhaps some exams were keyed wrong as someone else suggested? If more people that raise concern then hopefully they will take a second look. I am confused and depressed as well.

Yes, please call them. I doubt that the system is completely infallible, particularly with the recent changes. When I contacted the NCCPA I was ultimately directed to email Richard Carr the exam coordinator. I did so and he replyed about a week later but did not answer my specific request to have my exam reviewed and instead explained how the scoring works with standard deviation (which I did not even ask about). Perhaps some exams were keyed wrong as someone else suggested? If more people that raise concern then hopefully they will take a second look. I am confused and depressed as well.

I'm a bit dense sometimes, especially when the heat indices is over 106 degrees like today.

Does this mean a state, Alabama for instance, you don't have to take the PANCE or PANRE? They have "-" marks at the appropriate location. On you list, I think my state NC, I believe is incorrect. They have the same "-" marks. Also what does * mean?

Per AAPA. X=Yes - = No

State

Initial

Renewal

Reinstatementi

Alabama

-

-

-

Alaska

X

X

X

Arizona

X

X

X

Arkansas

-

-

-

California

-

-

-

Colorado

-

-

X*

Connecticut

X

X

X

Delaware

-

-

-

District of Columbia

-

-

-

Florida

-

-

-

Georgia

-

-

-

Hawaii

X

X

X

Idaho

X

X

X

Illinois

X

X

X

Indiana

X

X

X

Iowa

-

-

-

Kansas

-

-

-

Kentucky

X

X

X

Louisiana

X

X

X

Maine

-

-

-

Maryland

-

-

-

Massachusetts

-

-

X

Michigan

-

-

X

Minnesota

X

Mississippi

X

-

-

Missouri

X

X

X

Montana

X

X

X

Nebraska

-

-

-

Nevada

-

-

-

New Hampshire

X

X

X

New Jersey

-

-

-

New Mexico

X

X

X

New York

-

-

-

North Carolina

-

-

-

North Dakota

X

X

X

Ohio

X

X

X

Oklahoma

-

-

-

Oregon

-

-

-

Pennsylvania

X

X

X

Rhode Island

-

-

-

South Carolina

X

X

X

South Dakota

-

-

-

Tennessee

-

-

-

Texas

X

-

X

Utah

-

-

-

Vermont

-

-

-^

Virginia

X

X

X

Washington

-

West Virginia

X

Wisconsin

X

-

-

Wyoming

X

X

X

I'm a bit dense sometimes, especially when the heat indices is over 106 degrees like today.

Does this mean a state, Alabama for instance, you don't have to take the PANCE or PANRE? They have "-" marks at the appropriate location. On you list, I think my state NC, I believe is incorrect. They have the same "-" marks. Also what does * mean?

Per AAPA. X=Yes - = No

State

Initial

Renewal

Reinstatementi

Alabama

-

-

-

Alaska

X

X