• 7 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 3 replies

• Just curious, the ones who have been accepted, did y’all interview in the morning or afternoon session? 
    • My call was for acceptance. I interviewed on Aug 24th. Not sure how many calls went out though
    • Rejected today!  My GPA is sub par (3.3 overall, 3.2 sGPA) and I live out of state.  Good luck to everyone else! 
    • Local NP schools banned PAs from being preceptors because we didn’t have doctorates.... Now they have changed their minds and that WHOPPING 80 HOURS of Primary Care can be with a PA. 80 HOURS OF PRIMARY CARE. Try six MONTHS at one bloody site PLUS other nationally mandated PA rotations..... I declined. If I wasn’t good enough six months ago - never mind.
    • I don't think the article posted above is addressing what's being claimed by the OP. I also couldn't find any evidence that 50% of clinical hours can now be replaced by simulation, at least not as it's worded. However, according to the Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs (NTF, 2016), it is allowed for NP programs to use clinical simulation to replace some clinical hour above the minimum required for accreditation. Basically, NP programs are required to have a minimum of 500 hours to be accredited, and clinical simulation can't replace any of that 500 hour requirement. But simulation can replace clinical hours above that 500 hour requirement -- for instance, if a school says they require 750 clinical hours for their program, technically up to 250 of those hours could be completed in simulation.  "Simulation is recommended to augment the clinical learning experiences, particularly to address the high-risk low-frequency incidents; however, simulation experiences may only be counted as clinical hours over and above the minimum 500 direct patient care clinical hours." From the Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs: see Page 12 http://www.acenursing.net/resources/NTF_EvalCriteria2016Final.pdf    I'm fine with highlighting areas where PA education is stronger than NP education, which I think in general, it is. But we should be careful not to spread unsubstantiated claims about NPs or their education; they are still our colleagues. Facts are our friends, rumors and hearsay are not.   (The above site was found by looking at the 2018 Standards for Accreditation of Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing Programs, which outlines on page 13 that all Master's NP programs must incorporate the Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs. Link here: https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/CCNE/PDF/Standards-Amended-2018.pdf)    Post edited for formatting & clarity.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More