PA's in Mexico

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

aiviphung,

Do you have any idea on what she does there? It says health education and medical care on the website, but I'm curious as to whether her scope of practice would be any different practicing in a foreign country.

Also, for anyone who may have some insight, how does she practice in a foreign country? It looks like it is an a non-profit organization in both the U.S. and Mexico. So (assuming the organization is based in California) does that mean as a PA one would operate under California laws?

aiviphung,

Do you have any idea on what she does there? It says health education and medical care on the website, but I'm curious as to whether her scope of practice would be any different practicing in a foreign country.

Also, for anyone who may have some insight, how does she practice in a foreign country? It looks like it is an a non-profit organization in both the U.S. and Mexico. So (assuming the organization is based in California) does that mean as a PA one would operate under California laws?

I'm not exactly sure about the legal aspects of it all. I only spoke to her briefly and believe she has an SP in the states that signs off on a few charts and comes to the clinic once and a while but she essentially is the primary care provider for that area as there is really no one else serving that community in Mexico. She runs the clinic herself and offers the regular services provided in most family practice settings. There are also a lot of volunteer health professionals that travel from the US to offer their time and expertise as well.

Sorry I don't have more details but they seem very responsive to emails if you want to learn more.

Guest Paula

Looks like they are doing wonderful work and much needed to help the poor and underserved people on the area.  Good for them!  It might be a great place to volunteer sometime. 

Archived