My stats are not great, but would love some constructive criticism!!! HELP

Hey all!

I graduated from Mizzou with about a 3.0 (BS in Biology). Science GPA: 2.7, rather low I know.

I still need to take a few prereq's: Stats, Anatomy/Physiology, Microbio, Biochem.

If I do well in these classes (mostly A's maybe one B), do you think I have a realistic chance?

These would raise my last 45 hours GPA to about the 3.1-3.3 range and my Science GPA overall to about a 2.9

I also plan to work as an EMT until I get in, while volunteering and shadowing a PA.

I appreciate any thoughtful responses!

Health care experience. If you have a bunch, you have a chance (4000+). I'm in a similar boat as you, in first bachelors I killed my GPA so my overall is 2.8, but my 2nd bachelors I have a 3.4 (Science 3.3). I was wait listed for an interview last year so hopefully I get an interview this year (had 4000 hours HCE at the time). Also be quick and ready to apply once caspa opens next year because Red Rocks deadline only gives you little time to get everything set (June 15 for this year to hit submit on the caspa site). If you live in Colorado, go to the open session, they have a sign in sheet that I suspect they look at and can answer any questions. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
Health care experience. If you have a bunch, you have a chance (4000+). I'm in a similar boat as you, in first bachelors I killed my GPA so my overall is 2.8, but my 2nd bachelors I have a 3.4 (Science 3.3). I was wait listed for an interview last year so hopefully I get an interview this year (had 4000 hours HCE at the time). Also be quick and ready to apply once caspa opens next year because Red Rocks deadline only gives you little time to get everything set (June 15 for this year to hit submit on the caspa site). If you live in Colorado, go to the open session, they have a sign in sheet that I suspect they look at and can answer any questions. Good Luck!

For RRCC do they consider HCE only "patient care" or do they also include "other health care?"

I'm not 100% sure. Most schools require "hands-on patient care" so I'm guessing RRCC does the same. But on the site:

[h=2]5. What kind of paid healthcare experience do you accept for admission to the program?[/h]There are no specific parameters for what qualifies as “healthcare experience.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are people that get in on their first shot. I highly doubt anyone looks at an information sign-in sheet. The program is looking for the best individuals that fit with the mission of the program.

Remember, the PA profession is (originally) built on upgrading the skills of people that already had healthcare experience. If you try and shoehorn yourself in with "what passes for HCE," contemplate whether you are doing yourself or your future patients any favors. 

The program asks that you justify your HCE through an essay. If you can convince them your experience is HCE, it's HCE. BUT, as above, research the PA profession and ask what your goals are here.

This is editorializing, of course. Just one person's opinion. For me, it is disappointing to see applicants view HCE as another hoop to jump through, rather than the foundation of your future education.

Archived