2013-2014 Application Cycle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone who is native to Connecticut, I can say that many areas of Bridgeport are quite dangerous. I know students who go to the program, and many do not live in Bridgeport but instead in neighboring towns. There are some areas of Bridgeport (particularly those closest to Fairfield) that are much better and safer than others.

I am attending the Aug 2nd interview too. Fairfield & Stratford are neighboring towns. I would recommend staying in Fairfield when you come for the interview.

I was invited to the Aug 2nd interview today. Good luck to the earlier interviewers!

Whenever I look for information about UB, issues regarding crime and safety always come up. What neighboring towns would you guys recommend staying in for the school year or at least for interviews?

Hi folks - I used to live in Bridgeport. Bridgeport is a city undergoing a renaissance. Honestly, there are only two areas in all of Bridgeport that I WOULDN'T live in...the rest of the city is perfectly safe, and reasonably cheap, as long as you use common sense. One of the areas I wouldn't live is the neighborhood immediately surrounding UB. There are some new condo/apartment developments that are actually quite nice and right down the street from UB. However, besides these gems, the neighborhood on the whole is quite dangerous. I actually considered buying one of these condos...they are gated buildings and offer loft-stye living. Besides the south end where UB is, other good neighborhoods in Bridgeport include Black Rock (probably too expensive for PA students on a budget) and the North End (less gentrified, more to "do", less expensive).

Additionally, St. Vincent's hospital is in the north end of Bridgeport. I work as an EMT in the area and see UB PA students on rotations in the ER at St. Vincent's. They have said nothing but good things about UB's program.

I am applying to UB's PA institute for this cycle. UB received my supplemental application today and I received a confirmation within a few hours. Now the waiting game begins! If I attend UB, I will most likely find an apartment in the north end or live with my brother in Black Rock. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have about Bridgeport as a city and a place to live - I'm a very big fan of the Park City!

Good luck to all applying!

Phil

Archived