What are your thoughts on PCT for HCE?

So the local hospital is hiring PCTs and I decided to ask the person in charge of hiring for more information. She explained to me that PCT, PCA, and STNA are all the same thing and that they assist nurses, do vital signs, make beds, do baths and feedings, walk patients, transport, etc... The nice thing about this job position is that it doesn't require any certification like STNA/CNA does. However, i don't want to find out that all i'm going is making beds and giving people baths everyday. I'm not sure that'd be considered beneficial to me as a Pre-PA student.

I'm trying to debate whether I should take classes this summer or work at the hospital as a PCT. I probably can't do both since the hospital is 20 minutes away and the school is another hour away that i'll be commuting to everyday. If anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it.

PS: I have 0 HCE.

Technically, that's what a CNA does: taking vitals, helping patients with ADL such as walking patients, helping with bed and bath, etc. I am a CNA, but just recently at the hospital I work at they are changing the title of Unit Assistant (CNA) to Patient Care Tech. To me, it's basically the same thing, except you are expected to do some unit secretary duties as well.

Work the night shift!! I HATE giving baths and making beds because it is so time consuming and tiring..I also dislike feeding patients. So I work the night shift and only do vitals and assisting patients with the bathroom. I float to different floors so some days all I do is vitals because all of my patients are continent (love these days). Also during the nights it is more laid back since the bosses and doctors are usually not there so the nurses are more willing to talk and teAch you things

Technically, that's what a CNA does: taking vitals, helping patients with ADL such as walking patients, helping with bed and bath, etc. I am a CNA, but just recently at the hospital I work at they are changing the title of Unit Assistant (CNA) to Patient Care Tech. To me, it's basically the same thing, except you are expected to do some unit secretary duties as well.

Ya it sounds like hospitals use the term CNA, STNA, PCT, and PCA interchangeably.

get the HCE, unless you have a terrible GPA.

I'm not sure how to answer this. My GPA is 3.2 which isn't the greatest... I have 3 C's in general chmy 1, bio 1, and bio 2 which I have to retake at the university i'm transferring to next semester. All the programs around me change the requirements to B or higher in EACH prerequisite instead of overall. I've had straight A's and a couple B's the past 2 years and have made the dean's list every semester since 2011. So i'm improving.

Work the night shift!! I HATE giving baths and making beds because it is so time consuming and tiring..I also dislike feeding patients. So I work the night shift and only do vitals and assisting patients with the bathroom. I float to different floors so some days all I do is vitals because all of my patients are continent (love these days). Also during the nights it is more laid back since the bosses and doctors are usually not there so the nurses are more willing to talk and teAch you things

Thanks for the info! This is what I was afraid of. I don't want to go to work everyday just to change beds, clean poop, and give people bathes. That's not going to give me the experience I need nor is it going to look good on my resume when applying for a PA program. When you say night shift are you referring to the 7:30PM to 7:30AM shift? I've never worked the night shift before so it'll probably be a rough transition to get used to.

On an average day do CNAs, STNAs, PCTs, and PCAs do more nursing duties or non-nursing duties (clean poop, give bathes, change beds, feed patient, etc...). Thanks

screenshot20130416at121.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/2160/screenshot20130416at121.png

Any recommendation on which of these positions would benefit me the most. Should i apply for the resource pool so I get a variety or get into one of the specific positions? And what about Unit Secretary?

At the hospital I work at we do 8 hour shifts so I work 11p-730a. If u don't wont to clean poop I highly suggest finding a medical assistant job but that can be very difficult considering they want a med ast license. I did not want to become a pct but I did what I had to do to get where I want to be in life. It will only be temporary u just have to remember that. Wiping butts is just ONE part of the job. I also do straight caths and accu-checks. In terms of what floor to apply to I can't really help you with that. I LOVE not being assigned to a single floor because sometimes actually alot of times I have to wrk with a nurse or patient that quite frankly pisses me off..and what keeps me Sane is the fact knowing that I will not have to deal with that nurse or patient the following day! And pcts do non nursing duties only.

At the hospital I work at we do 8 hour shifts so I work 11p-730a. If u don't wont to clean poop I highly suggest finding a medical assistant job but that can be very difficult considering they want a med ast license. I did not want to become a pct but I did what I had to do to get where I want to be in life. It will only be temporary u just have to remember that. Wiping butts is just ONE part of the job. I also do straight caths and accu-checks. In terms of what floor to apply to I can't really help you with that. I LOVE not being assigned to a single floor because sometimes actually alot of times I have to wrk with a nurse or patient that quite frankly pisses me off..and what keeps me Sane is the fact knowing that I will not have to deal with that nurse or patient the following day! And pcts do non nursing duties only.

If this is the case then I don't see how this would be beneficial to me.. I understand if i have to do this once in a while just like nurses do, but if the majority of my job is to clean poop, give patients bathes, feed them, and make beds then I don't understand how this is considered patient contact health care experience.

If anything, the job sounds like nursing home aide. I was always told to stay away from that if I wanted good HCE.

I'd say that's pretty hands on with patients... when I decided on PA school and researched what it took to get in, I saw all these threads on this forum asking if one thing or another would actually count as patient care experience. Pretty much every school's website I saw listed things like CNA, EMT, RN, paramedic, RT, etc. I wanted to do something that would open up as many doors as possible that also had a reasonable certification time/cost for my circumstances, so I ended up getting my CNA and starting a job in a hospital. While there's plenty of baths and bathroom trips, I've been able to learn a ton by asking questions and just experiencing what happens day after day. If you decide to do one of those PCT jobs and make it just about toileting patients and making beds, then that's all your going to get out of it. And no, it won't help you very much in PA school.

If you're uninterested in the PCT jobs, look at other options - like EMT for instance. If you're wanting something that will give you more responsibility and more experience (which would certainly have you better prepared for PA school), maybe you just need to bite the bullet and work towards becoming and RN, RT, paramedic, etc.

I'd love to work in the ER or ICU as a PCT. I feel like i'd have more responsibilities there. Too bad there aren't any openings in those areas though. Oh well, i'll give this a try and see how it's like.

I'm sure everyone says this, but I wish I knew what I wanted to become when I was in high school. I would have had my associates/certificate in a much better position if i knew better. Now i'm stuck with a general associate degree in science working my way towards a bachelor degree in health science.

Dont say u would love working in the er or icu unless you have tried it. In the er or ICU you will have all the responsibilities as a regular floor pct PLUS some. I hate floating to those areas because it is too physically demanding and stressful. Plus most patients in the ICU can't talk to you and so it's boring. Why don't you ask if you could shadow a pct? Oh and working in a nursing home is nothing like working in a hospital. In a nursing home all your doing is wiping butts because those patients are old and main incontinent.

I work as an ER Tech. Yes it's physically demanding. No I don't find it nearly as stressful as my previous non-healthcare jobs. I find lots of reward working there. The only downside I face is working with 2 other ER Techs who have no ambition in healthcare and spend their time hiding leaving me to pick up their slack. Yes you need thick skin to work in an ER because you see some F'ed up stuff not to mention the personalities there... But learning wise I put it at the top of the list of HCE.

Where else do you get to help with lumbar punctures, sutures, I&Ds, CPR, Periscentesis, thoracentesis, Central Lines, intubation, place an OPA and use a BVM, see a wide range of sepsis, triage patients, help treat burns / wounds / pressure ulcers, apply various preformed / plaster splints / ortho boots / remove fiberglass casts, perform 12 leads, non-stop vital taking, review imaging like CTs / Ultrasound / X-Rays / Cardiac Sonography / etc.. I can keep going with this list.

So what I wake up sore, have back pain / routinely popping IB Profen / Tylenol in the AM because I'm in pain and I work weekends / holidays.. Its not going to be any different when you become a PA.. I love what I do and recommend it to anyone looking to become a provider whether its an RN, RT, MD, NP or PA.

Even if I have to wipe some persons butt who has scabies, Hep C and C. Dif... At least I know how to be around that person now versus later as a practicing PA.

PCTs are also found in L&D, ICU, and ER.. That's some pretty good areas to land at IMO. Maybe just get the foot in the door and try to migrate into one of those departments.

Having worked as a CNA on an L&D floor, I would not recommend it. Most nurses on L&D units are 1 on 1 with a patient... and you'll just get in the way. I ended up mostly just stocking birthing carts and supplies. Time drags, hardly ever got to touch a patient.

I learned sterile technique -- I did get to set up sterile instrument tables, which I enjoyed. I got to see plenty of interesting things (C-sections) -- but I didn't actually get to do very much. I was assigned to do the paperwork for deliveries, call admitting, make baby bracelets, record apgars, etc. I put placentas in formalin and sent them to the lab. I was a glorified Unit Secretary.

That's a completely different aspect of healthcare that I don't get to see and IMO would be a great opportunity for someone interested in working OB/GYN. You know what tests are ordered. I'm sure you've seen NRP protocols in action. Familiar with tests, instruments, and various procedures that can't be learned elsewhere. You may not be taking vitals but you're seeing everything first hand and can ask pertinent questions. Would it be difficult to have a sit down with your boss and ask to be more involved in taking vitals at least at initial point of contact and to update charts? I can't imagine a nurse telling you no to that since they'd be busy with giving meds, assisting in delivery, triaging, and updating their nursing notes.

I work as an ER Tech. Yes it's physically demanding. No I don't find it nearly as stressful as my previous non-healthcare jobs. I find lots of reward working there. The only downside I face is working with 2 other ER Techs who have no ambition in healthcare and spend their time hiding leaving me to pick up their slack. Yes you need thick skin to work in an ER because you see some F'ed up stuff not to mention the personalities there... But learning wise I put it at the top of the list of HCE.

Where else do you get to help with lumbar punctures, sutures, I&Ds, CPR, Periscentesis, thoracentesis, Central Lines, intubation, place an OPA and use a BVM, see a wide range of sepsis, triage patients, help treat burns / wounds / pressure ulcers, apply various preformed / plaster splints / ortho boots / remove fiberglass casts, perform 12 leads, non-stop vital taking, review imaging like CTs / Ultrasound / X-Rays / Cardiac Sonography / etc.. I can keep going with this list.

So what I wake up sore, have back pain / routinely popping IB Profen / Tylenol in the AM because I'm in pain and I work weekends / holidays.. Its not going to be any different when you become a PA.. I love what I do and recommend it to anyone looking to become a provider whether its an RN, RT, MD, NP or PA.

Even if I have to wipe some persons butt who has scabies, Hep C and C. Dif... At least I know how to be around that person now versus later as a practicing PA.

I'd definitely agree with Timon here... I've worked as a Navy medic (Corpsman) and spent about 20 months in the ED. I can't even describe how much I've learned being there and working with the MD/PAs. That being said, I took a MED-SURG float position at Phoenix Children's Hospital in order to diversify my work experience. Going through PA school, one is obviously going to need to know more than just ED/trauma experience and I'm really embracing learning more of the critical care/long term care side of medicine.

I think if its possible, you should look to find work in both sides of the house if at all possible. Regardless of what direction you want to pursue post graduation, learning both will, imo, give you a leg up when you're doing rotations for school.

... I can't even describe how much I've learned being there and working with the MD/PAs. That being said, I took a MED-SURG float position at Phoenix Children's Hospital in order to diversify my work experience. Going through PA school, one is obviously going to need to know more than just ED/trauma experience and I'm really embracing learning more of the critical care/long term care side of medicine. I think if its possible, you should look to find work in both sides of the house if at all possible. Regardless of what direction you want to pursue post graduation, learning both will, imo, give you a leg up when you're doing rotations for school.

I think both of these statements say it all … TY gentlemen :wink:

I might be able to land a job as a PCA in ICU by the college I plan on attending next semester. I have a relative that's a nurse who says they're hiring. I'll give that a try first. However, I still need to find a place offering CPR/BLS around here... Thanks for all the advice and comments!

I might be able to land a job as a PCA in ICU by the college I plan on attending next semester. I have a relative that's a nurse who says they're hiring. I'll give that a try first. However, I still need to find a place offering CPR/BLS around here... Thanks for all the advice and comments!

That's a completely different aspect of healthcare that I don't get to see and IMO would be a great opportunity for someone interested in working OB/GYN. You know what tests are ordered. I'm sure you've seen NRP protocols in action. Familiar with tests, instruments, and various procedures that can't be learned elsewhere. You may not be taking vitals but you're seeing everything first hand and can ask pertinent questions. Would it be difficult to have a sit down with your boss and ask to be more involved in taking vitals at least at initial point of contact and to update charts? I can't imagine a nurse telling you no to that since they'd be busy with giving meds, assisting in delivery, triaging, and updating their nursing notes.

Patients are on constant monitoring, BP taken automatically at intervals. I did talk to my supervisor, and the only added responsibility I got was doing urine dips for L&D triage patients. I have since left the unit (I worked nights, which were painfully slow) and moved to a telemetry unit at a larger hospital, where I have been taught phlebotomy. I'm much happier working days and providing true direct pt care.

Patients are on constant monitoring, BP taken automatically at intervals. I did talk to my supervisor, and the only added responsibility I got was doing urine dips for L&D triage patients. I have since left the unit (I worked nights, which were painfully slow) and moved to a telemetry unit at a larger hospital, where I have been taught phlebotomy. I'm much happier working days and providing true direct pt care.

Archived