Chances of getting into MEDEX BA program

There is really only one PA program I want to apply to, Medex. Over the last few months I have been trying to beef up my application so I can apply next year. Can you please give me some advice on what I can approve? Also, what are my chances of getting into the MEDEX program? My husband is military, but I'm born and raised in Alaska. Currently we are stationed in Fairbanks. Own a cabin in Soldotna and plan to retire here. I am 26, no kids, love life and have a very friendly personality.

I do not have a degree, my GPA however is a 3.8. I do have a few more classes to take and I'm hoping it stays that high. I have obtained this GPA while working full time and going to school part time. I'm hoping this will help me in the areas I'm lacking. If I don't get into the program the first year I plan to finish my BA in biological science and try again.

I have thousands of volunteer hours, about 4,000 counted. I know it seems like a lot, but it's what I have enjoyed doing since I was 14 years old. I love giving back. Everything from food banks, orphanages in Cambodia, teaching graphic design classes for free, starting a dental clinic overseas and teaching in the streets about health care topics in Vietnam, working with under privilege kids, volunteer children's pastor, senior citizen homes, mentor to youth, tutor, no one dies alone program, trash clean up, and an EMT. Currently, I am a Big Sister, EMT volunteer, helping at the food bank and on a military volunteer committee. I am also trying to start a Pre-PA group at UAF and for local Fairbanks people interested in becoming a PA. If anyone wants to join look me up on Facebook. I think it would be fun to do mock surveys, plug people in with PAs willing to have shadows, etc.

HCE: I currently work as an ENDO-Tech and scrub tech. I assist about 15-20 different doctors throughout the week with all types of procedures. My job also lets me work in the wound care department and infusion once in a while. My boss has been doing everything possible to cross train me in 5 different areas so my HCE doesn't look too specific. I use to me a CNA at a long term facility (over 2,000 hours). I was a PT-aid for 1 year. I teach BLS to health care providers at the hospital and teach first aid skills to Girl Scouts a few times a year.

I was told to become a ER tech, but I feel like I learn a lot from working directly with doctors and patients. If I was to work as an ER tech I would be stuck taking BP and doing paper work. Advice on that?

PA Shadowing: I am still trying to get shadowing done. Right now I have 50 in primary care and 20 in ER. The Medex program does not require this, but I'm learning alot and having a blast! I plan to have at least 100 shadowing in the ER, 150 primary care, 30 with ortho PA, 20 OBGYN. Maybe I'm over doing it?My original goal was 500 hours, but with all my volunteer work, school part time and work full time I'm starting to get over whelmed.

Reference: I have a well respected native hospital doctor who will be writing one for me. A very well known PA in Alaska who has been here for 30 years practicing, and trying to find an RN.

Right now I only have my EMT 1. Before I apply I plan to have my EMT 2 and 3.

I know a lot of people that apply have years of experience on them! I'm worried that I don't have enough! I work with a doctor once in a while that has Medex PA students shadowing him for their clinicals. Everyone I have met so far has been Alaskan Native. I know this probably isn't the case, but I feel like I'm at a dis-advantage because I don't work in a rural area. Also worried that they might not like the fact that my husband is military and it might look like we don't plan to stay in Alaska. When in fact I couldn't imagine living and working some where else. I grew up very poor in Anchor Point and had some many people help my family and I love giving back.

I find my self staying up late at night planning out my classes and the best route to make my self a better PA when I finally get in. Do you think it's a bad idea to only apply to one program? My husband has to stay in Fairbanks no mater what till 2018 and if I go to anchorage or WA we can see each other through out the year. I'm hoping that I can ask to do some clinicals in Fairbanks. I have a few Doctors that said they would allow me to shadow them if I get in. Plus, I see Medex Students all the time up here. Thanks for reading. I know it was long. All typed on my cellphone since I'm laying in bed and can't sleep. Sorry for any grammar errors.

I didn't read everything, mostly because its 4 am, but I think you would have a very good chance of getting into MEDEX. The Anchorage class is almost entirely made up of residents of Alaska. Having that many volunteer/HCE hours and being from Alaska would definitely put you near the top as far as applicants go. If I were you, I would start your application for this years October application deadline. Even if you don't get in, MEDEX is big on re-applicants so having them see your name and stats is huge. If you don't get in, for whatever reason, make sure you find the weaknesses in your application and improve them.

The fact that your husband is military isn't going to really help you since you're not a service member yourself. Also, ED techs don't just take blood pressures and do paperwork. At Banner, which they have in Anchorage, I did pretty much everything a nurse did minus pushing medications. If you get the chance to work in the ED definitely take it. You'll be exposed to such a variety of of things.

Thanks, maybe I will look into an ED spot when one opens. My head boss is actually in-charge of that department.

I would love to apply during this cycle, but I still have a few classes that I need to finish before I can apply and they won't me done until spring next year. I think it would look bad if I applied without meeting all the pre-req. almost as if I didn't know how to follow directions. ???? I don't even think they would see my name across their desk.

I have already started my personal statement so that when the time comes to apply next May I can just submit it.

Quick question: I can't seem to get into a chem class because they all fill up to fast and there is limited seating. What other science do students have to fulfill 4 requirements? I have biology, micro, A&P 1/2 and I need one more. It can't be in the same field either.

I think my major weakness is going to be the fact that I sometimes pronounce things wrong. Growing up dirt poor, father dying, school wasn't a priority but living was, I fell behind and now I'm paying for it. My friends sometimes just laugh when I pronounce words like "ambulance" and "specific" wrong. Some long complicated medical words are hard for me to say. I mainly have a hard time with silent letters. I think if the interviewers catch it, I might look unintelligent. Any thought on this?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm just nervous about competing for 20 slots against about 800 people. I keep feeling like I'm not doing enough to stand out, so the very thing I love to do is burning me out. Only a year left though and hopefully I get in! And if I don't they can tell me the areas where I need improvement.

You will need to meet ALL the pre-req's for your app to be considered, so if you are going to be a few classes short, I would put off applying until you do. Otherwise, it's a waste of money & displays an inability to follow basic instructions/directions.

That is not to say that you should not be preparing, however, and it is good that you are already working on things such as your personal statements, etc. The pre-PA group is a great idea, & you could use that to practice mock interviews as well. If you've been researching MEDEX as much as it sounds, then you know that there are no secret questions you need to know the answers to, just that you need to be honest, professional, & let them get to know you. The app only gets you halfway there, so work on your interviewing skills to get you the rest of the way.

You may consider a genetics class, or even physics. You can always call or email MEDEX & ask if a specific class would qualify as a science pre-req. You may also be able to take a speech class or even an acting class to help you with speaking, if you feel it is a weakness. But, it may also be seen as part of your personal charm, so maybe you don't want to completely change it, just enough that your pronunciation is correct & you can interact comfortably in a professional setting. You sound like an ideal applicant for MEDEX Anchorage so far. Good Luck !!!

Thanks for the advice ToppDog! Your right, its smarter to wait and apply.

Question: I'm still fighting with the idea of giving up my job to work in the ER as a tech. A week of work looks like this for me: Assist doctors in about 10-20 Colonoscopies, bronchs or EGDS, in which I help set up the patient, take Vitals, run to the ED, ICU or OR for emergency cases. Once a week I assist surgeons with frozen excisions, removing skin cancer and port insertions. Assist different OBGYN doctors with D&C's and soon I will be scrubbing in for C-sections. I also Assist a doctor with injections into the spine and run the C-arm. When ever I get a chance I try to go hang out with our patients that are going chemo treatment in the infusion room. Once in a while I get to spend time assisting patient with their wound care.

Is all that worth giving up to go work in the ER as a tech?' I'm exposed to so much and I'm am constantly learning new things and seeing rare diseases. I love listening to the Doctor talk to the patient about their H &P and try to guess what we might find during a procedure or what their possible diagnosis is going to be. I feel like its invaluable and if I go to a different department I might not grow as much. Again, I've already done CNA work on a med surg. floor and long term, also PT aid and I'm an EMT.

My husband always jokes that I need to buy hooked on phonic, I just hit in the arm :) I love speaking in front of people and didn't even notice that I have a problem pronouncing things until recently. For example: My brothers name is Jeremiah and when I was 18 speaking at an event in front of 1,000 people I made mention of his name. After the event my friend came up to me and said they thought my brothers name was Jeremiah not Jemiah. I still forget to pronounce the R when I speak is name. It's just random stuff like that. They might not noticed. Do you think I should mention it? or mention it as something I have had to overcome if I make more improvement before I apply? To be honest, I almost gave up the PA route just because I thought it would hurt my chances, even though probably 1 out of 30 people notice I say "ambulance" wrong or "testosterone" wrong.

Looking into other areas to broaden your exposure to medicine can never hurt. Maybe you could ask to shadow in the ED dept. to get a feel for what the tech's there do, to see if it would be beneficial. If they get to do a lot, then it may be a good idea to work there. You'll learn a lot in a variety of topics, & get to learn & observe many new techniques & procedures. And, keep working on your classes. I am in a similar situation... as a former army medic/corpsman also trained as a urology technician, I spent many hours working at the ER at Madigan Army Medical Center, along with my assignment to the urology service, where I performed all urologic radiographic studies, ultrasound, & assisted in the main OR. After getting out, I worked as a CNA, & then as an MA, in various specialties & primary care clinics. Overall I have somewhere around ten years in primary care & another ten in specialties, & now I have been teaching medical assisting for four years. But, I feel my lack of formal education is what is holding me back. I have decent grades, just not enough of them. My military training doesn't count, & my credits are all over the place & do not lead to any degree, & I only have the minimum amount of pre-req's. If you can, try not to be in that situation when you apply, & I think your chances of being accepted will be much higher.

Looking into other areas to broaden your exposure to medicine can never hurt. Maybe you could ask to shadow in the ED dept. to get a feel for what the tech's there do, to see if it would be beneficial. If they get to do a lot, then it may be a good idea to work there. You'll learn a lot in a variety of topics, & get to learn & observe many new techniques & procedures. And, keep working on your classes. I am in a similar situation... as a former army medic/corpsman also trained as a urology technician, I spent many hours working at the ER at Madigan Army Medical Center, along with my assignment to the urology service, where I performed all urologic radiographic studies, ultrasound, & assisted in the main OR. After getting out, I worked as a CNA, & then as an MA, in various specialties & primary care clinics. Overall I have somewhere around ten years in primary care & another ten in specialties, & now I have been teaching medical assisting for four years. But, I feel my lack of formal education is what is holding me back. I have decent grades, just not enough of them. My military training doesn't count, & my credits are all over the place & do not lead to any degree, & I only have the minimum amount of pre-req's. If you can, try not to be in that situation when you apply, & I think your chances of being accepted will be much higher.

Have you ever met with a speech therapist regarding your difficulty pronouncing words? It is obviously something that bothers you, since you say that you almost gave up pursuing the PA profession because you thought it would hurt your chances. There may be some simple vocal exercises you could do to help correct your speech, and that would give you one less thing to worry about if you get an interview!

Have you ever met with a speech therapist regarding your difficulty pronouncing words? It is obviously something that bothers you, since you say that you almost gave up pursuing the PA profession because you thought it would hurt your chances. There may be some simple vocal exercises you could do to help correct your speech, and that would give you one less thing to worry about if you get an interview!

• 1 month later...

Archived