National Guard for PA's

Hi all,

I'm currently a PA student and will be starting rotations in just a couple months. A few weeks back, I spoke with a National Guard recruiter about potential loan-repayment options serving as a reserve. From what I gathered from him, as a PA reserve, we are eligible for 75K paid at 25K per year over 3 years duration. After that up to 60K (20K per year over 3 years) will be paid. All of this totals a 6 year contract. I was also informed that our commitment would be the initial officer training (roughly 1 month), 1 weekend per month working at a clinic (where? Doing what? I really have no idea, but apparently will be compensated with additional pay during this time), and 2 weeks during the summer for additional training. I was told that there will be a maximum of ONE deployment per 6 year contract with a maximum of 180 days per the one deployment. If anybody has any additional information or at least would like to validate what I've been told, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I realize that many current and prior military remembers will be asking me the initial question of what my motivation is to join. Yes, it is not all about the money. I would not mind serving my country, and I do expect to be deployed. That is OK with me. However, being a reserve grants me the opportunity to work full-time in another PA field. Right now, I'm leaning towards Emergency Medicine and desire to complete a residency after graduation. Factoring in signing a National Guard contract, I am uncertain when to complete my residency and when would be the most appropriate and logical time to sign that contract.

I appreciate ANY advice. Thanks!

if you are in the military you have the option of completing one of their residency programs.

anything regarding "maximum deployments" is subject to the "needs of the service" as I understand it. I am not military or ex-military but can tell you that the reservists I work with deploy fairly regularly(like every 2 years for a few months). keep this in mind. the military has lots of great options for PAs but they pretty much own you while you are in so don't expect 1 weekend/mo and 2 weeks/yr + min. deployments. recruiters lie. one of my partners has a small child and was told "no overseas deployments" so he signed up and spent 6 months in Afghanistan as his first depolyment.

Thanks for the info EMED. You bring up good points..I'm sure recruiters do lie. I've read in previous military forum posts that recruiters can specify their quoted contract obligations in writing. Having no family or friends in military, I am completely military ignorant. But the last thing that I would like to happen is to join and get screwed by the system with my hands tied behind my back.

I don't know about the "maximum one deployment" thing, but everything else looks right.

Right now, with A-stan winding down, deployment opportunities are getting more scarce.

My thoughts exactly, although few people probably know we have units deploying to places like Africa still.

I was active so I don't really know about the Guard. What I do know is that everything that is on the contract I signed at MEPS I have gotten with absolutely no trouble on my part. I didn't know some of the things I could have asked for, and didn't consider certain things when I signed up, but overall I felt like my recruiter was honest. Ask for things you want and see if they are possible. Also, the 180 days thing is pretty short- does this include deployment training time? My friends in the reserves have all been on 6-12 month deployments, but the time they went to the training centers was included so they really spent 10-11 months overseas or less. If it's not included you might have to leave for a month to head to a NTC site pre-deployment, then go home for a few weeks before the 180 days kicks in.

As a veteran from the Navy, I would like to say thanks to those that want to join the military. To me "It's an honor to serve the country". The most questions I have seen from the forum are: when, for how long, how many deployments, will be like? and I understand that. However, when you think about joining the service, be ready for deployment very soon and the time of staying there maybe extended. When you have that mind set, I think you'll be fine. Ask yourself "why do I want to join the military", because of the money or it's my passion to serve those men and women who are protecting our country? Now, I'm a Pre-PA but when I become a PA and if the country needs my service I'll be back with no question ask. Have a great day to all.

I got my butter bar last august. Ill tell you what I know thus far.

Hi all,

I'm currently a PA student and will be starting rotations in just a couple months. A few weeks back, I spoke with a National Guard recruiter about potential loan-repayment options serving as a reserve. From what I gathered from him, as a PA reserve, we are eligible for 75K paid at 25K per year over 3 years duration. After that up to 60K (20K per year over 3 years) will be paid. All of this totals a 6 year contract.

Officer contracts are 8 year durations. Tuition reimbursement and special pay are two separate things as you described.

I was also informed that our commitment would be the initial officer training (roughly 1 month)' date=' 1 weekend per month working at a clinic (where? Doing what? I really have no idea, but apparently will be compensated with additional pay during this time), and 2 weeks during the summer for additional training.[/quote']

While in school, you go to school. Your job will be to become a PA. Cant perform as a PA in the military if you are not a PA yet. Upon graduation you have to schedule to attend a condensed (24 days) version of officer training school within 1 year of you anniversary date. It is possible to do a residency during that time if your dates workout right. There are other ways to do it too if they don't. When you are done you are assigned to a unit and work in that capacity for your unit.

I was told that there will be a maximum of ONE deployment per 6 year contract with a maximum of 180 days per the one deployment. If anybody has any additional information or at least would like to validate what I've been told' date=' any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

Not sure about a MAX deployment per six years. I was less concerned about this because i plan to volunteer to go soon after I graduate. There is always a need somewhere and this is why I chose medicine as a career. Deployments are 180 "boots on the ground" days. This doesn't include pre-deployment "training" and post-deployment "relaxation." Those can vary, maybe 4 weeks more.

I realize that many current and prior military remembers will be asking me the initial question of what my motivation is to join. Yes' date=' it is not all about the money. I would not mind serving my country, and I do expect to be deployed. That is OK with me. However, being a reserve grants me the opportunity to work full-time in another PA field.[/quote']

Only you know why you would want to serve. Only do it if you truly want to SERVE. Yes, the tuition reimbursement and special pay are incentives, but if that is all you are looking at then you can become disheartened quickly.

Right now' date=' I'm leaning towards Emergency Medicine and desire to complete a residency after graduation. Factoring in signing a National Guard contract, I am uncertain when to complete my residency and when would be the most appropriate and logical time to sign that contract.

I appreciate ANY advice. Thanks![/quote']

Hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

Hello,

I can only speak for my very short experience at a 1LT in the California National Guard -- I have only drilled 1x since my commission in Feb.

Your initial training, "BOLC" or Basic Officer Leadership Course is 3 wks, 2 days in TX. You have to do this within 2 yrs of commissioning but sooner the better. You will also have "AT" (annual training) of 2 weeks.

For my "clinic job" in the ARNG, I work at the state headquarters and basically give medical clearance to soliders for deployment. No treatment rendered. Every unit is different, I chose to be in this type of situation since I had no military experience and was told this unit was particularly a good starting place for a military career.

Re: deployment, I think there are a lot of different rumors floating around. I have heard max deployment is 6 months for a PA in the ARNG. I have found so far that the Guard will accommodate my schedule as far as further training. You can always ask for a make-up date.

The loan repayment or cash bonus are nice but you have to do this because you want to serve. Everybody can tell if you're just there to get the cash. It's not worth the time or sacrifice if that's why you are joining. I joined because I wanted the best of both worlds -- a civilian primary care job and military experience. I wanted the training the military gives plus I really wanted to give back to those that have allotted me the freedom to post on this forum.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with your decision.

I agree that everything looks about right except the maximum one deployment per 6 years. One thing to remember is that in the Reserves you are a federal asset of the Army as opposed to in the Guard you are an asset of the state and your unit first. You can't get scooped up just because they need PA's in the Guard. With the Guard your whole unit is activated and thus you. I am a Guard medic and our PA's seem to love it.

AMEDD= Army acronym for Army Medical Department.... Each state has a medical recruiter that specializes in what qualifies you to be a medical officer and what contract terms apply to your specific field. Contact the state recruiter's office and ask for their medical representative. As far as deployed time, ask anyone that was in the guard in 2000 and then ask what happened when planes struck towers. Any rule that is written can be re-written. Your state Governor can shield you from more or volunteer you for more deployments. Like you said about your motivations, as long as they are true you wont be on the losing end. Loan repayment programs vary by state. Reserves is uniform across the service. If you are looking for a Reserves AMEDD recruiter, hit me up via message. One of my former platoon sergeants is an AMEDD recruiter in the NorthWest. He can either help you with the reserves or get you linked up with his counterpart in another area.

• 1 month later...

Pulling this back to make a quick comment.

For those thinking about boots on the ground as only 180 days, think of this: most deployments for units are really 9+ months, can you or your fellow soldiers do without you being there for the entire deployment? You know these guys and gals and if you leave after 6 months in country, that's crummy...

kenyabill how goes the process for you?

• 3 years later...

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone else has gone through the direct commissioning process for the Guard.

I'm currently approaching my 2nd year of PA school and in contact with the special branch/AMEDD recruiter in my area. I'm a prior medic in the national guard so I'm familiar with the process of enlistment. Can anyone touch on the boarding process? What kinds of questions can I expect to be asked?

What unit assignments do the guard PA's have on this forum? Anybody in a combat arms unit?

Have any of you gone to any extra schools? Airborne, air assault, flight, etc.

What are deployments like?

Thank you!

Archived