Preference for GPA vs. clinical experience?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if admissions weighs clinical experience heavy in the admissions process? I was not able to get in last time around but after taking some classes I raised the GPA to the 3.2 range. However I have over 5000 hours of direct patient care in the ER and as an EMT. GRE scores were strong, just a weak GPA. Any advice would be much appreciated!

• 1 year later...

As a current student, I can't tell you for sure what they want, but for what it's worth, I know lots of classmates with little clinical experience. As in 500 hrs or less. Perhaps that is just the people I talked to, (I have much more than that) and that doesn't necessarily mean they don't value clinical experience, or that they value GPA more, but it does mean you don't necessarily need a lot to get in.

On the other hand, my academic science background is on the short side (humanities major...) and I think my clinical experience must have been part of what got me higher up in the pile. That and applying crazy early.

I'm sure that you having brought up your GPA will help, as well as being a second time applicant. Best of luck!

(Edit: wow I necro'd that post, sorry! Forgot to look at the date)

Archived