BS or MS PA Program?

Hello All!

I'm a little confused about which route to go. As I'v beeen reading tons of forums about the PANCE exam and finding out that both dgrees can sit for the exam, I'm not sure what program to apply to. I have a BS in Health Care Administration and have worked in healthcare for the past 4 years, but not in a clinical setting. I've worked for two hospitals in NYC and can get great recommendations. I do however, have a low GPA from undergrad and I have to take two prerequisite courses for a BS program which I will bust my butt to get A's in. Will that help my chances? Do program frown down upon the classes that are taken after receiving a Bachelor's degree, although you do well in them? A little feedback would help and will be great appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest Paula

MS program.. The entry level for PAs will be a Masters degree starting 2016 I think and it is wise to get the Masters from the start. I can't imagine any program would frown on you for taking classes after having a BS, but do well on them.

The transition date is 2020. To the OP if you can apply to the BS program, do it. If you get in you can get a MMS, or MPAS from St. Francis, Nebraska, AT Stills, Nova Southeastern post PA-C, as a working PA. Just a thought. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

Hello All!

I do however, have a low GPA from undergrad and I have to take two prerequisite courses for a BS program which I will bust my butt to get A's in. Will that help my chances?

Thanks!

Honestly, no. Making an A in two classes isn't enough to overcome many bad grades that led to your low GPA. How low is it? You will need to start taking lots of upper level sciences(30+ SCH) to show an upward trend.

Why would you waste time getting another BS degree, knowing you still have to get an MS in the future? Do you have money to waste? Also, consider your job prospects. An employer is more likely to hire a PA with a master's degree over one with a bachelor's.

Your GPA could definitely be a problem. While they wouldn't hold it against you that you took some prerequisite courses now and did well in them, you still have to meet the program's minimum GPA for admission.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

Archived