The Kentucky Battle - - - What's Your Thoughts?

Pardon my ignorance,

I was trying to research current statutes regarding regulation of PA's in KY, but to no avail. I see the new SB43 that KAPA is lobbying for and understand that.

The way it stands now: Am I correct in saying that after the 18 month supervisory period a PA is free to open their own clinic?

If SB43 passes: Am I correct in saying the SP can oversee you at their discretion for 18 months, then after that period you are free to move on your own without an SP?

Pardon my ignorance,

I was trying to research current statutes regarding regulation of PA's in KY, but to no avail. I see the new SB43 that KAPA is lobbying for and understand that.

The way it stands now: Am I correct in saying that after the 18 month supervisory period a PA is free to open their own clinic?

If SB43 passes: Am I correct in saying the SP can oversee you at their discretion for 18 months, then after that period you are free to move on your own without an SP?

nope. still need an sp....always need an sp in every state.....levels of supervision vary from meeting with them twice a year in states like NC to some states that require they be on premises with the pa whenever they work.

Pardon my ignorance,

The 18 month rule states that a new grad PA cannot see any patients unless his or her SP is physically present in the building. After 18 months, the SP just has to be reachable by phone. No matter how many months you have been practicing, a Kentucky PA must have all charts signed by the SP and PAs are not allowed to prescribe any of "scheduled drugs." Kentucky is pretty close to the bottom of the list as far as "PA friendly" states, unfortunately.

This has all the info you're looking for. http://dev.aapa.org/uploadedFiles/content/The_PA_Profession/Federal_and_State_Affairs/Resource_Items/Kentucky%202011.pdf

• 1 month later...

Archived