Canadian friendly PA schools

I'm in my second year now and have a gpa of ~3.5. My plan is to finish my 4 years of my BSc in Biology and then go for a short program (like resp therapy) to gain experience working in healthcare. Am I competitive for US PA schools? Also, can anyone here recommend Canadian friendly schools I can apply to?

• Administrator

I don't think there is such a thing as a Canadian-unfriendly PA school. Getting loans as a non-US citizen is the biggest hurdle, I expect. I would also expect schools in northern states would have more experience with Canadians, and not try and make you take the TOEFL unless you're from Quebec. ;-)

I'm in my second year now and have a gpa of ~3.5. My plan is to finish my 4 years of my BSc in Biology and then go for a short program (like resp therapy) to gain experience working in healthcare. Am I competitive for US PA schools? Also, can anyone here recommend Canadian friendly schools I can apply to?

i was under the impression that RT was a two year program. Solid education and experience but not as short as some other choices available. Is the school not two years?

i was under the impression that RT was a two year program. Solid education and experience but not as short as some other choices available. Is the school not two years?

All the RT programs I know (n=4) are 2 years...with a bio BS you could probably knock a semester off that, but not much more.

If you really want to go the RT route, get your AAS in RT first, then get your BS after that. There are plenty of schools that have pre-set tracks for this...plus you can work part time as an RT while you're finishing your BS.

I don't think there is such a thing as a Canadian-unfriendly PA school. Getting loans as a non-US citizen is the biggest hurdle, I expect. I would also expect schools in northern states would have more experience with Canadians, and not try and make you take the TOEFL unless you're from Quebec. ;-)

Money isn't an issue for me but if I cannot get accepted to a US PA school I would rather seek a career as a specialized NP here (instead of PA).

I haven't done any research into this. I only just found out about PAs and was instantly attracted to the career.

I'm Canadian and had no problem getting into PA school, but I have a green card. AND I was asked very specifically about my status. Sort of depends on where you want to practice as a PA? If you want to stay in the US you'll need to figure out a visa or a green card.

Was this just for one specific school? I would like to practice in Canada but I don't mind practicing in the US either. It's just that it's a newly introduced career here and the future of it seems unpredictable. So flexibility to practice here or in the US is a plus for me.

EDIT: I read up on the situation for PAs in Ontario- I guess I'll be working in the US then (if I can get a green card).

All the RT programs I know (n=4) are 2 years...with a bio BS you could probably knock a semester off that, but not much more.

If you really want to go the RT route, get your AAS in RT first, then get your BS after that. There are plenty of schools that have pre-set tracks for this...plus you can work part time as an RT while you're finishing your BS.

What a wonderful idea, I hadn't even thought of that... I don't know if it's possible to put my degree on hold for the time I will need to complete a small program but I will look into that (as soon as I figure out what program I want to do). Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Archived