Yale University PA Class of 2013 (^.^) !

Hello everyone, my name is Deanne and I received a call from David that I will be joining Yale University's PA Class of 2013! Just wanted to start a thread to get to know other students who have also gotten in. A little about me... I'm from San Diego, 25 y/o, and can't wait to get to Connecticut to freeze my butt off! Can't wait to meet all of you! :;;D:

Aww hey Deanne! I heard from David when I was in my car! crazy right! well my name is Noren and I go to school at USC, South carolina and live in North Carolina... and omgoodness i am sooo not looking forward to the cold weather... i already told everyone id like warm presents for my graduation in May! I am 20 yrs old and will be coming straight from undergrad! I am debating whether I should do the dual program, I am looking into it, but lets see what happens =)

O btw do you think we should make a fb group just yet or wait a little longer...

Hi Everyone! I got the call from David last night at 9PM. I was shocked that he'd be working that late on a Sunday, but he made my weekend to say the least! My name is Justin and I'm 23. I live in Montgomery, Alabama and I graduated in May 2009 from Auburn Montgomery. It will be cold there for sure, but I'm looking forward to actually having seasons. Here in Alabama, we have about 2 weeks of fall it seems like. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and I think a FB group would be great!

Hi guys! I made this account just to introduce myself. I'm Belinda hailing from Cerritos, a suburb just outside of greater Los Angeles. I graduated from the University of Southern California with a B.S. and M.S. this May. As I'm sure many felt, I fell in LOVE with Yale's program during the interview and was thrilled when I received the call from David. I can't wait to meet the newest class of PA students!!

Hey everyone! I'm Jon. Currently live in DC, hometown is Anchorage, Alaska (don't think the "cold weather" New Haven has to offer will be an issue). Have a B.S. in Exercise Science from Liberty University. Currently work as a CVT in a Cath Lab. Loved Yale's program and I've already sent my deposit in. Looking forward to getting to know next year's entering class!

Go to the Grad Ghetto on the northeast side of town... over in East Rock. It is right on the various shuttle lines, you'll be in a safe neighborhood, and you will be away from campus when you don't want to be thinking/doing things PA... All of the housing lets out around late May/Early June so that would be a good time to lock in something for the following year...

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would suggest searching in April/May. Any later than that and you're going to have slim pickings. My roommates and I went searching/signed our lease in late March/early April and all of the real estate agents we went through said we came at a good time. A few of the people in my class (2012) live in the dorms. Since I live in East Rock, I definitely wish I'd lived downtown or in the dorms sometimes, but both have their ups and downs. The ups of living where I am is that I'm paying about the same as they are for my own apt (not just a room) and that I can get away from Yale when I want to not think about school. The ups of living in the dorm are that you have the gym and library right there and you don't have to walk outside to go to either (or class for that matter). The people that live downtown/in the dorms definitely save time not having to ride the shuttle every day (although I usually used shuttle time to either chill out or study flashcards). All of the buildings on Cedar street are connected through walkways underground or bridges. You literally could live in the dorm, get up, go to class, go to eat lunch, go to the gym, shower, eat dinner, and go to the library for the night all without ever having to go outside! The downside to the dorm is that you're paying for just a room with a community bathroom. You DO have to buy their meal plan and the food at Marigold's (the dining hall) is pretty expensive. Also, there aren't a lot of options (maybe 3-4 meal choices for each meal) so you have to eat what they serve and they are closed from Friday night-Monday morning, so you're on your own for the weekend as far as food is concerned. I don't live in the dorms, so I can't exactly speak from experience, but that's what I know. It is great living there to meet other people, though. Most of my friends outside the PA program are people I've met through my classmates that live in the dorms. I think after you factor in the money you pay for your room, plus food, it ends up being either a little cheaper or the same as living off campus (depending where you live.) Downtown is obviously more expensive than if you live in East Rock. Hope that helped :)

Thank you chikita!!!! I was just wondering too if u (or other current or alumni of the Yale PA program) had more info on living in apartments on campus vs. living in an off campus apt. Are on campus apts near the lecture halls or would u still shuttle? Do the on campus apts also have access to those connected hallways so u don't have to go outside? Any other major up or downsides to on campus vs off campus apartments? Thanks in advance!

Thank you chikita!!!! I was just wondering too if u (or other current or alumni of the Yale PA program) had more info on living in apartments on campus vs. living in an off campus apt. Are on campus apts near the lecture halls or would u still shuttle? Do the on campus apts also have access to those connected hallways so u don't have to go outside? Any other major up or downsides to on campus vs off campus apartments? Thanks in advance!

Only the Harkness Dorm has access to the underground hallways (no other off-campus housing). Of my 29 classmates, 2 lived in the dorm. I believe they liked it for the convenience but did find the lack of a kitchen and meal-plan requirement a nuisance.

You have several options for living...

1) Harkness Dorm (already discussed)

2) Off-campus Yale Housing http://www.yale.edu/gradhousing/och/index.html .

-Yale University owns much of New Haven property and rents it to students. I don't think anyone from my class used this option, but know a resident who found his apartment this way. You do need your Yale username to browse online.

3) Off-campus non-Yale Housing

-"The Towers" http://www.newhaventowers.com/ Located maybe 2 blocks from the hospital, which will not be quite as important when on rotations (only half of mine were at YNHH). Very convenient but hard to get.

-Craigslist- Looking at apartments you can either live downtown or in east rock. If living downtown, I wouldn't go beyond Howe/Dwight border as the neighborhood gets sketchy rapidly. East rock benefits are more living space for cheaper, parking, less noise than downtown... The orange and blue lines run through eastrock and are relatively convenient for getting to class. One thing to be aware of is that the shuttle doesn't start until 7:20ish (?). On rotation at YNHH, you'll have to drive. I'm not sure how parking is working with the expansion of YNHH with the Smilow Center. When I was there, students paid $54/month to park in the deck. Shuttle route http://www.yale.edu/transportationoptions/shuttle/

I lived in East Rock all through school and then for more than a year after while I was working as a hospitalist at YNHH. I'm in favor of this option but the Towers are also appealing. I couldn't live without a kitchen (dorm life).

• 10 months later...

Hi Class of 2013!

I'd like to start a FB group for the Class of 2014...what did you guys name your group page? I searched what I thought were all the possible names for your group page but I couldn't find it.

Also, would anyone mind sharing how much grant money they received and roughly what their financial circumstances were in order to be awarded grant money? I understand the loan process, but grants were not explained very well due to all the various factors considered when awarding grants. I understand that they are awarded on an individual basis, I'm just trying to ballpark if I have any chance of getting one. The program will send us financial aid info in the next few weeks, I'm just getting anxious. :)

Thank you!

Archived