Did anyone attend emergency medicine boot camp course?

I've been to one of their many EM courses (Kauai) and they are great, along with the monthly abstracts (better than the Stanford EM course, at least back in the 90's). J. Hoffman has me questioning anything I hear or read now after approximately 15 years of subscribing to their abstracts and as a result, I now subscribe to his and R. Bukata's premise that in most cases, the less we treat the better off the patient usually is.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking about going to this conference. Did anyone on here go to their first one? I believe it was only a couple months ago. http://ccme.coursehost.net/course/embootcamp

I attended the Dec. CCME EM Boot Camp in Vegas - as a new grad a year and a half or so out in the ED, EM Boot Camp was excellent. High-yield, quick 45-min lectures on tons of bread-and-butter EM topics. While there were numerous docs attending well, it was very much geared towards PAs/NPs and taught at a beginner/intermediate level. It was inspiring to hear some of the guys like Bukata and Henry speak, and many of the other lecturers were really entertaining/hilarious as well. Everyone provided a wealth of good info. I've got the Boot Camp binder with all the lectures they gave us at the event stashed in my bag that I take to work and reference regularly and am in the process of going through the CDs/DVDs from the event (you could purchase them for 1/2 normal price as an attendee - $222 for 3 1/2 days worth of audio and video) to review and refresh myself periodically. One of the lecturers mentioned they were trying to put together an Advanced Boot Camp for folks who'd attended the first round (they've held it twice now) and want to learn more - the day they announce that, I'm signing up :)

I have been to both the CMR4CME Specialty Training for EM and the CCME EM Boot Camp now. Haven't attended SEMPA yet (considering that for 2014, CME budget doesn't re-up until June!) so I can't speak to that one. But so far, Boot Camp is the best for my money.

I ( and all other pa and np folks) at one of my per diem jobs was required to do the online version with 45 lectures and 45 quizzes. lots of good info but fairly basic for folks with more than a few years of experience. I actually took and passed all the quizzes without listening to the lectures in about 3 hrs(although I have heard many of these lectures from the same folks before elsewhere).

Hi,

I'm also a recent graduate, 5/2012, working in the ED who attended Boot Camp this past December. My focus entering boot camp was to gain more insight towards clinical decision making, improving my work flow and efficiency of lab testing ordered, and learning about new therapeutic options for common chief complaints. Leaving the conference I feel the majority of material was a refresher of what had been taught the last two years while in school. There were a few clinical pearls that have changed how I treat a few orthopedic injuries but overall no new information was gathered. The most meaningful sessions with a wealth of knowledge were the Q and A events that occurred twice a day, as long as questions remained academic and were not side railed onto the topics of PA vs NP etc. My favorite lecturers included Dr. Klauer and Dr. Henry.

I feel a great bang for the buck is http://www.emrap.org/ a monthly podcast with amazing topics and entertaining speakers. Many of these speakers will be at SEMPA. I've learned more from reviewing this material than any other CME to date.

• 1 month later...

West Virginia University is also offering 2 great programs for PAs interested in specialized EM training. We have not only our annual procedures workshop (June 6-8, 2013), but also our 100% web-based Emergency Medicine Certificate Program, with 10 online courses covering the core content of Emergency Medicine. Feel free to reply with questions, and be sure to check out our website, www.emcpwvu.com.

West Virginia University is also offering 2 great programs for PAs interested in specialized EM training. We have not only our annual procedures workshop (June 6-8, 2013), but also our 100% web-based Emergency Medicine Certificate Program, with 10 online courses covering the core content of Emergency Medicine. Feel free to reply with questions, and be sure to check out our website, www.emcpwvu.com.

• 3 years later...

Bump. Yeah a medical director who called me this AM about an EM position told me to take one of these. He said it will help me to get hired and help me to get up to speed faster. Don't have to tell me twice! Going to broach the topic with my clinical coordinator manana. Anyone familiar with this one?

https://www.northwestseminars.com/full-schedule.php?gclid=CPrciby87tICFV61wAod_roLWA

Would like to get this done in next few months and Charleston or New Orleans is a little easier for me than Vegas.

CCME courses/subscriptions are all about "pearls" IMO. I've been a subscriber to either EMA or PCMA since early 90's, have attended one of their Hawaii courses (done by noon!), and have used their information to keep me more current on topics than what you find at most traditional conferences, AND they pick apart the validity of the studies if applicable. I give them the credit for my revelation that "OMG, I'm going to die from strep pharyngitis!", NOT (in vast majority of cases). What they DID teach me is that as in every other scenario, the devil's in the details.

Example: 06e7664d50ba79cb41ce8ba71c8dc1f0.jpg

Archived