Nephrology?

Guest kelmo14

Guest kelmo14

Hey everyone!

I am currently a PA student in Naples, FL. I am interested in becoming a nephrology PA. Although, I never see any openings for any in this field. I always see Urology but never Nephrology. I hope that PA's in Nephrology will become more common because this is where my interest lies. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks!

~Kellie

Hey everyone!

I am currently a PA student in Naples, FL. I am interested in becoming a nephrology PA. Although, I never see any openings for any in this field. I always see Urology but never Nephrology. I hope that PA's in Nephrology will become more common because this is where my interest lies. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks!

~Kellie

i think the renal transplant team utilizes a PA at OHSU in portland, or. i do believe that a nephrology group at OHSU also has a PA.

good luck!

Hey everyone!

~Kellie

I worked for a nephrologist in Marquette, Michigan. He had two PAs. Myself in his outpatient clinic and another PA (who had been there for years) in the dialysis unit. Right now I have a local nephrologist who has asked me to come and work for him. My only hesitation is that he travels to a different location each day of the week (each of the five towns is about 30 miles apart) and the PA would do the same. So, nephrology PAs are out there.

jmj

• 1 month later...

Contact the AANPA (American Academy of Nephrology PA's). You can join for free if they still have the grant from Genzyme. The other thing to do is go to your local hospitals and arrange to shadow a nephrologist. From there, all you need to do is sell yourself. I believe one of the Nephrology associations is planning on developing a Nephrology training program online that would give you a certificate at the end. Again, contact the AANPA

http://www.aanpa.org/

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did Nephrology for 1 year. Basically all I did was babysit for dialysis patients so the docs could bill medicare for 4 monthly visits, spend more time in the hospital and in clinic. Did have to travel to multiple centers in the same day. Nephrology is a fascinating field- just did not like the role I was in.

• 1 year later...

if all you did was 'babysit', did you find they tried to lowball you on salary? did you find that you didn't get to use all the skills you learned throughout PA school? I'm doing an elective rotation at a nephrology clinic and they are trying to 'recruit me' (their words) but i think i would be doing the same things so I'm curious to hear from someone that has actually had that type of position.

• 7 months later...

I've been in nephrology since 2001 and I wouldn't want to do anything else. I've worked for two different groups in different towns. I have seen groups that only babysit dialysis patients. Thankfully I didn't work for any of these groups and if I found myself in that situation I would make a move as soon as possible. It is important to get weekly visits from a business standpoint. The practice I work for did weekly rounds from the time it was started in 1976, long before Medicare changed the payment system in 2004. They realized from the beginning that better outcomes required close management of dialysis patients and their complex issues. We work as a team rounding in the dialysis clinics, managing CKD patients in the office and rounding in the hospitals. I find it a rewarding area of medicine to work in.

As a side note, I joined this site years ago and actually forgot about it. I recently logged on again and started looking through the different posts. I wonder why nephrology is being discussed under urology. What does it take for nephrology to have its own forum?

have the nephrology PAs on this site taken the nephrology CAQ? I assumed there were more nephrology PAs since there is a CAQ for it. We need an internal med CAQ.

Archived