Commuting to Yale

Just wondering...do most people drive to school, and if so...where do you park/is parking hard to find/is it expensive? I've been looking into housing options/finding safe locations within New Haven, and I can't help but to wonder if it's difficult to get around there. I know there is a shuttle, but I'm not sure how extensive its routes are/how much I want to rely on it. I'm also a little worried about parking because at the interview, a faculty member told me my car (Honda accord) was the most stolen car in the city.... Any advice would be appreciated!

From what I've heard, most people live within walking distance of the campus, and walk or take the shuttle to school. There are Yale Shuttles that are quite extensive and more reliable than you would probably think, and even some of the further away neighborhoods like East Rock are about a 30 minute walk. At my interview session there was one student who commuted from Middletown, and a few others from different places. The Middletown student pays (I think about 350 per semester) to park in the Air Rights Garage (the big one near the campus where a lot of hospital employees park). She liked not being in the city, while others probably enjoy having everything close by. I think its really up to personal preference, but it seems like people have been successful doing either.

Archived