Midwestern vs. Northwestern reputation

There are a ton of differences between those two programs that ought to decide you flat out based on your own personal learning style and preferences. I thought Northwestern did a great job of explaining their philosophy and approach when I interviewed there, but things may have changed in the last two cycles. If you didn't get enough information from either place, call them.

Making a decision based on "reputation" when the schools are so extremely different seems like folly.

Just one opinion.

Hi there! Both schools are really well known and have great health care programs. I only looked into both programs for a bit, but hopefully I can help? Because northwestern is downtown, the program is going to have a totally different feel.. And cost of living.. than Midwestern. Also, MW has a larger class. I'm not a hundred percent sure how MW is designed, but I really like programs that use system based teaching. For me, learning each system one by one would more more helpful than taking the courses individually. Truthfully, I would go to whichever you felt more confident with after the interview (philosophy of the program, clinical sites, quality of didactic teaching, what the students say about it). Either school will give you a great education, but its really personally choice for where you go! Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! While there were many things that are different about each program, I ended up deciding that the most important factor was the teaching style during the didactic year. I remember things better when new facts/concepts are immediately integrated into examples of real life problems as opposed to a mostly lecture style format. I hope you are happy wherever you are going to school!

• 2 months later...

Teaching style-- plays a very imp role esp for me, as i recollect 5 yrs back. Class room style with each system, exp docs as instructors played a crucial role for me.

Some schools just provide info, books and leave it to us to learn in group style solely did not make sense to me.

Ask what kind of instructors are there ?? and if they have on site Anatomy lab ?

etc... questions asked from the senior/clinical students will help you too to make a decision !

Good luck :)

Archived