Accepted Students to Enter Sept 2013 Post Here

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone! I just committed to Drexel for next fall. I live in Philadelphia right now (about 10 minutes walking from Hahnemann Hospital), so feel free to ask any questions about living in Philadelphia! Looking forward to next year

I have been looking around for housing, but not quite seriously yet since I still have a few months before I will move out there. I am moving from utah and am trying to figure out the best place to live with my wife and young daughter. I have read that fairmount, queens village and west Philly are relatively safe for families. You suggest anywhere?

I live in Fairmount right now--and its super close to Hahnemann!! 10 minutes walking, but also super accessible via Broad street line. My brother lives in QV, and its awesome there too but quite a bit further from campus. I wouldn't recommend West Philly unless you stay near Drexel Main Campus, but there you'll have a LOT of student life going on (not necessarily the best for a family, in my opinion).

Hello Everyone,

I'll be starting at Drexel next year. I have been thinking about the housing set up. I'm moving from Pittsburgh by myself so I just need a room somewhere cheap and close to the campus. Anyone know how the graduate housing works? Or, has anyone considered just getting a big place with all PA students so the rent is cheap and everyone is pretty much on the same schedule? Let me know your thoughts..

So would you say that Fairmount is a good place to live with a family? My wife found a list that said Philly is the 18th most dangerous city in America, so it has not helped my cause. ha ha. I have heard that up near Temple is a bit sketchy, but is it better closer to Hahnemann? Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it because I don't know much about Philadelphia itself. Just want to find the best place for my wife and daugther. I could live anywhere, but I don't want them to.

I don't know who all is interested, but I read some comments about wanting to start a facebook group. I wasn't able to find one, so I just created one. It's just called Drexel University/Hahnemann Physician Assistant Class of 2015. Clever name I know. But anyone who is accepted and is planning to attend can join and we can share information before and especially once the didactic year starts. I don't know about anyone else but I keep up better with facebook than this forum.

Hello Everyone,

I'll be starting at Drexel next year. I have been thinking about the housing set up. I'm moving from Pittsburgh by myself so I just need a room somewhere cheap and close to the campus. Anyone know how the graduate housing works? Or, has anyone considered just getting a big place with all PA students so the rent is cheap and everyone is pretty much on the same schedule? Let me know your thoughts..

You can apply for stiles hall (graduate housing in center city campus) online but to be honest I'd recommend living somewhere else. It feels a bit too dorm-ish.

Thanks for the info. I've since filled out a housing request for that hall. However, I would like to stay out of the "dorm-ish" housing if I can. I'm gonna keep a look out for some roommates to grab a place near the campus. Any recommendations?

Find a PA student roommate on that facebook group you guys started. That's how most people from my year found theirs.

So would you say that Fairmount is a good place to live with a family? My wife found a list that said Philly is the 18th most dangerous city in America, so it has not helped my cause. ha ha. I have heard that up near Temple is a bit sketchy, but is it better closer to Hahnemann? Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it because I don't know much about Philadelphia itself. Just want to find the best place for my wife and daugther. I could live anywhere, but I don't want them to.

Jon-- If you're okay with a 15-30 min train ride to Suburban Station, I suggest looking into the areas that are a little further from center city (yet still considered Philadelphia) or the close suburbs for the sake of your family. There are very nice apartment buildings downtown, but they'll cost you and even then they're still not the best. I've lived near Temple, in Center City, South Philly, and now in Manayunk and I can't imagine having to go for an order of groceries with a baby and stroller, park on the street with my 4 ways, then carry everything up 20 floors on an elevator, then come back down and park. Any downtown living is pretty much small apartments in high rises.

Many of my neighbors in Manayunk are families with young kids, but that area also has a lot of college students who can be loud in the streets on weekends (and parking sucks!).

If you want to stay within city limits, I recommend Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy (I'm looking to move there when my lease is up). It's a nice neighborhood; it has a little main street with shops and restaurants. It's a safe area and has things like grocery stores and pharmacies nearby. I've also heard a lot of families are finding newly constructed rowhomes in Fishtown and are very happy with them but for me it's too close to the hipster Northern Liberties and the crime ridden Kensington areas.

As far as Fairmount, streets west of the prison are very nice and safe but I'd avoid the blocks between Broad and ~18th Streets which can be a little scary.

Roxborough also has some nice homes but you may have to sift through a bunch of dumpy listings before finding one that's good for your family.

Lafayette Hill, Conshohocken, and Plymouth Meeting/Whitemarsh are also nice but further away (~30min train ride). Anything along the Main Line will also be very safe but to find a nice (newer) place the rent can get a little high. These areas have more opportunity to find places with yards and driveways.

Feel free to reach out with your questions, I've lived in Philly since 2005 and have moved more times than I'd like to count so I can understand how hard it is to find a place without knowing the area. If you plan on visiting to look around, I'd be glad to give you a tour around the different neighborhoods so you can get an idea of what they're like. Good luck!

Archived