#21 mjohn7wy

mjohn7wy

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hey all,

Jordan and I are in vegas for SEMPA continuing to have an amazing experience. We both just finished our airway rotations in anesthesia. Great oppourtunitys, I was able to get 12 ET and 2 were video assisted in a week. Jordan was actually able to get something like 25 tubes. The attendings over in anesthesia were amazing, most were great educators and very patient with our learning experience. We start cardiology in april which I am very excited about, 2 weeks in the CCU should be a great chance to learn more cardiology and our first foray into critical care.

This continues to be a great decision from my point of view. While we do work alot, its absolutely worth while. We continue to get amazing oppourtunitys to further our education and feel more comfortable with a diverse patient load. I absolutely reccomened this for new PA's looking at going into ED and dont want to be stuck in fast tract for your first years

Hope that helps, and if anyone is at SEMPA PM jordan or I to meet up if you have questions. We will both be at the residency/fellowship roundtable tomorrow.

Matt

#22 akdEM

akdEM

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for answering my question a few weeks ago. Thanks for keeping this blog going!

University of Kentucky

Albany Medical Center Emergency Medicine Fellowship

#23 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,005 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Matt and Jordan- great to meet you both at the roundtable. Thanks for keeping this thread open with discussions about your residency.

Moderator, Emergency Medicine Forum
Emergency Medicine PA, EMT-P
Doctor of Health Science & Global Health
30 years in Emergency Medicine

#24 True Anomaly

True Anomaly

Emergency Medicine PA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Want to echo E's comments- great to meet you guys last week in Vegas! You're doing your program proud
Emergency Medicine PA
Gig 'Em Aggies

#25 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

UPDATES>

Howdy! Time for some updates from the program. Matt has just completed and I am just starting my two weeks in the CCU. As you can imagine a definite change of pace from the ED to the hospital management of sick cardiac patients. I'll have more to say later about this subject as I am early in. On other news the program just interviewed 4 qualified applicants today (hello if you are reading this). It was fun to meet them and discuss where I was at and where I've come to this point. An applicant asked me what my favorite aspect of the program was????? I answered, becoming more confident and efficient in my management of ED patients (or some gumbled version of that). Something I haven't thought about yet, but is ultimately true. Speaking with them brought me back to where I was a year ago, I'm still fascinated with how much you can learn in a year. Its a nice reminder that I can do just about anything if I work hard at it.

CADAVER LAB! Wowza, do we have an awesome scientific gift program. Last week Matt and I were fortunate to be involved in some cadaver simulation. Apparently there is this new methanol embalming technique that is the "beez knees." This specimen was soft and pliable, fluid actually came back in my chest tubes (I clamped just in time to avoid nastiness). So basically we got a variety of airways including surgical, chest tubes, lateral canthotomies, and thoracotamies. Apparently this new methanol process makes the cadavers much easier to schedule for use as it takes around a month or something to complete. This with the pliability of the specimen = REVOLUTIONARY. I didn't realize, but apparently AMC has one of the largest scientific charitable gift donation programs in the country!

-Jordan
Emergency Medicine PA Fellow, PA-C, Ski bum

#26 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hello Everyone. As I left you I was entering the CCU for some sweet intensive cardiac education. It went well and I did learn a ton about the different methods for cardiac monitoring and support, LVADs and whatnot. It was nice to get the exposure. After another stent back in the ED, I have entered the wonderful world of Surgical Intensive Care. The early mornings are fine with me as long as I can get my hands on as many central/A lines, intubations, and chest tubes as possible. I'll be here for a month and exposure to some more hospital medicine is definitely aiding me in becoming more well rounded.
About 3 1/2 months left of the fellowship and I am seeing the light at the end. Matt and I are knee deep in decisions to make about where we will be working in the fall; weighing options is a good thing. All-in-all my life right now seems like a almond-joy/mounds commercial "sometimes you feel like a nut..." More accurately clinical accumen is growing, however we all have those days that humble us. Keep calm and carry on.

#27 True Anomaly

True Anomaly

Emergency Medicine PA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

Good to hear you're getting actual SICU experience. Our SICU was....let's just say a little less than welcoming. We found other avenues for getting what we needed, but the real heavy action (outside the ED) occurs in the SICU.
Emergency Medicine PA
Gig 'Em Aggies

#28 cinntsp

cinntsp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

When does the program start? I didn't see a date on the website other than it being in the fall.

#29 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

...Oct. 1st...

#30 lmccary31

lmccary31

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Awesome post guys. I am really enjoying following what you have been learning. It has inspired me to seek out local residencies!

#31 mjohn7wy

mjohn7wy

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hey guys,

start day is officially October first but they were flexible with me and allowed me to start the 15th. Just to echo Jordan, we are starting to see the light and I'm getting excited for my future opportunities. Jordan and I are just starting our trauma month and I was lucky enough to be involved in a throacotomy on the fourth, very interesting to see the procedure we have worked through in cadaver lab on a real person. It should be a great month as we act as the second resident for all trauma in the department.

sicu was a blast for me, I have always been very interested in critical care. We have a few attending who are dual certified intensivist and Ed docs who were the most helpful and really involved us in the icu team. However, overall the entire staff up there was helpful, I saw some amazing and sad cases, learned a ton about the importance of the initial ressucitation of these critical patients. I was able to get a ton of procedures(10 or so central lines, similar amount of a-lines, a few chest tubes, and intubations), learned a lot about vent management, renal replacement, and why you don't ride motorcycles(wowza). I am going to go back and complete my elective in critical care as well.

i continue to be very pleased with my decision, I have learned so much and been given some amazing opportunities that would not be avalible to a PA one year out of school. We just got our new interns in the Ed and watching them bumble arround really affirms how much I have grown as a provider.

Well that's all I've got for now, pm me with questions

#32 pvdude

pvdude

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

Were you able to have your student loans deferred while in the program?

#33 chiefPA

chiefPA

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Where are you looking to practice when you are done ?

#34 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hey pvdude, yes I was able to defer my loans which are through Great Lakes, it was very easy, I can not comment on other loan agencies. ChiefPA - I plan to practice rurally, it looks like western ND at this point, but we are still hashing out the details. I will be back soon for a longer post, thank you for the great questions folks!

#35 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Well well well.  Here we are folks.  One year later and looking back I cant beleive how much I've learned.  Today I am mentoring our new group of fellows as they enter the forray of the AMC ED;  coming full circle I guess.  As I plan to move on to a new adventure, the feelings are bittersweet.  AMC has provided me so much in the way of medical knowledge, confidence, and experience with high acuity patients.  At this point I truly do feel that I am able to treat any patient that presents to the ED appropriately, or at least know when something is "out of my league".  I know there is still an immense amout to learn in Emgergency Medicine, but I feel that I've seen enough of the "normal" to know when something is not.  It really feels good to come to work and feel comfortable; no longer unsure, "green", scared.  People have continued to ask if I think the fellowship is "worth it".  To them I say "are you kidding!"  I really can not find a reason not to do a fellowship in Emergency Medicine (for reasons I have explained extensively previously in this blog).  I hope to keep this blog open for further communication and continued discussion.  If anyone has any questions, continue to feel free to ask.  Thanks for reading and replying.

-Jordan

#36 True Anomaly

True Anomaly

Emergency Medicine PA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Congrats dude- I remember how great I felt when the class under mine started- makes you feel like you actually accomplished something :D

Emergency Medicine PA
Gig 'Em Aggies

#37 SoCalPA

SoCalPA

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Congrats! Where will you go now? Do you have the next job lined up?

#38 akdEM

akdEM

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Congratulations! It has been great to follow your experiences for the last year. I'll be applying to AMC's EM residency when I graduate in June :-)

So do you plan on taking the CAQ? Are there many tangible benefits to having that certification (such as having people seek you out for job offers) or is it more of just a resume builder?

University of Kentucky

Albany Medical Center Emergency Medicine Fellowship

#39 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

-  I'm actively looking for a position now, trying to find that perfect fit.  I'm looking to head to the mountain west.

-  At this point I am not planning on attaining the CAQ, it must prove it's utility before Ill think about it.

#40 DolphinsPA2

DolphinsPA2

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

I have a few queations if you wouldnt mind answering them.What was your schedule like? Did you have the chance to moonlight at all? Did you have a chance to do a lot of procedures (central lines, chest tubes, intubations,etc)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: albany, emergency, fellowship, residency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users