56 replies to this topic

#1 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hello All! My Name is Jordan, and I am a current PA Fellow(resident) in the Emergency Department at Albany Medical Center. I decided to create this on-going discussion as I found one of these useful when I was considering applying for residencies/fellowships. From here on out I'll refer to the program as a fellowship because it is annoying to type /residency. In case you didn't know, they are the same thing as far as PA's go, its basically just whatever your institution wants to call it. I'm sure we will spend many hours at the conference some year deciding between the two. I digress

Currently I am about a month and a half into the program and it has been a blast. We (the other fellow and I) pretty much jumped right in to the action of the Albany Med ED right off the bat. We had a short orientation and shadowing experience and were walked through a few patient care scenarios our first few days, as we waited for our first rotation to start...Ultrasound. Ultrasound was two weeks and it was amazing the amount of skill that could be acquired during that short time. I accumulated nearly 200 scans during that period. Ultrasound will be one of the most useful tools for me as I plan to go rural when I finish my year here in Albany. The instructor for the course was Dr. Beth Cadigan, an attending in the ED/ Ultrasound guru. She was great to learn from and patient with each individuals learning curve (us fellows and 1st year ED residents), she stated several times that it took her awhile to acquire US skill, which was probably related to her being the worst kid on the street at video games! We spent 2 weeks in the ED ultrasounding willing participants, several hours in the simulation lab receiving training, and individual time with online US lectures.

We are currently on our Radiology rotation, mostly spending time in a radiology suite looking at chest films. As for rotations, next we will enter Ophthalmology, and subsequently Pediatrics (ED), and then in no particular order, SICU, EMS, Trauma, Toxicology, electives, interspersed between all of these are ED shifts. I believe total AMC ED shift time will be around 7-8 months.

I'll finish today with a comment about the faculty in the AMC ED. They have been AWESOME! The attendings, PAs, and residents have been great to work with and willing to take time to teach.

Any questions, just ask.

Be back soon!

#2 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,007 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Looking forward to your ongoing commentary, thanks!

Moderator, Emergency Medicine Forum
Emergency Medicine PA, EMT-P
Doctor of Health Science & Global Health
30 years in Emergency Medicine

#3 Contrarian

Contrarian

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Are you being paid a stipend or do you pay them...????

#4 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,007 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Albany and all the other residencies/fellowships/postgrad programs pay a stipend between 40-60k.(see link at top of em forum to all 19, regularly updated by yours truly)http://www.physician...nks-Residencies
the hurley ten week trauma exposure is the only program I know of which charges a fee to attend.

Moderator, Emergency Medicine Forum
Emergency Medicine PA, EMT-P
Doctor of Health Science & Global Health
30 years in Emergency Medicine

#5 True Anomaly

True Anomaly

Emergency Medicine PA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Congrats dude- I sure don't have to tell you that a residency is well worth it. It'll be interesting to follow along with yours to see how it compared to mine.
Emergency Medicine PA
Gig 'Em Aggies

#6 jsfelder0417

jsfelder0417

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Congrats! I am hoping to attend a residency as well once I graduate.

#7 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hey Y'all, time for another update. My last post finished with us (the other pa fellow and I) finishing up our radiology rotation and transitioning into our ophthalmology rotation. The optho rotation consisted of one week of clinic and one week of on-call ED shifts, it was nice to focus on one body system for 2 weeks and get a good grasp on the use of the slit lamp. I've also been training with our ultrasound machine in the ED, scanning eyes for retinal detachments and/or signs of increased intracranial pressure. I try to do this on anyone I see with vision changes.

I've also completed 2 wks of specified pediatric ED training. We will dedicate 2 more weeks in the summer, to get both seasons. The 2 weeks consisted of a host of viral illnesses, which manifested with plenty of youngsters in respiratory distress, febrile seizures, and reassurance of parents. Also of course the flu has come early and heavy in the East this year. Albany Med had to make a public service announcement requesting that people with flu-like symptoms stay home rather than seek care in our ED. I was anxious for my 2 weeks in the "peds zone", but I found that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Our next rotation coming up is AIRWAY!, were I'll get to spend some time with anesthesia and hopefully get around 30 advanced airways.

Overall, my time at the hospital is going great. Now that I'm starting to accumulate general emergency knowledge and also the hospital's systems, I find that I am enjoying myself more and becoming more efficient. We'll be starting interviews for the next class soon. If you haven't applied yet, you should. I look forward to seeing those of you who will be interviewing with us. The website! http://www.amc.edu/A...wship/index.cfm

Any Q's?, just ask!
Jordan
Emergency Medicine PA Fellow, PA-C, Ski bum

#8 mjohn7wy

mjohn7wy

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hey all,

So my name is Matt Johnson and I am fellow number 2 at albany med. Just finished a night shift in the PED ED and cant fall asleep so i though i would shoot out a post. Everything jordan has said is spot on. Its been a blast so far, I keep in contact with a number of my fellow graduates and I feel like I am already leaps and bounds ahead of them. The AMC staff is great and our program director is top notch. This is truly a learning experince, the attendings are great teachers and I spend more of my time learning that really "carrying a zone". We are really incorperated into the residency program and have the same oppourtunities extended to us, if you are considering a fellowship in ED look at AMC.

Ill let jordon get back with his posts but please shoot me an email if you have any questions.
Matt

#9 mercedes214

mercedes214

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

To mjohn7wy and jd4mvp, I've enjoyed reading your posts about your residency experience and am comforted to know that you think it is beneficial to you. I'm a 2nd yr PA student doing my clinicals and I finally made the decision to do an ER residency b/c I wasn't sure whether it would be something worth doing but your posts say it all. I am interested in either Albany's or NY Presby's program.
In terms of the application, was there anything in particular that these residency programs are looking for?
In terms of future job prospects, will you try and work at Albany Med or look for work somewhere else? Does the residency program help you obtain employment there or elsewhere?

Part of the reason I want to do a residency is because most jobs want experience so I figure doing a residency couldn't hurt.

#10 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hey Mercedes, great questions. Personally I do not plan to stay at AMC, I came from Montana and have planned from the start to return there when I'm done and work rurally. The program can tailor your needs to your future plans. For instance I plan to do an elective rotation in wilderness medicine, etc.
In regards to employment, the word is that we'll be sitting pretty. Our previous fellows have had excellent results (interviews at Hopkins and Cleveland clinic, offered positions w/o interviews elsewhere , teaching ultrasound). In regards to enumeration, informal reporting looks like we'll start on the scale equivalent to 3-5 yrs experience. The program educates on job placement. If anything were to be a must for an applicant, I would say a definite commitment to Emergency Medicine.

#11 mercedes214

mercedes214

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thank you very much for your insight.

#12 akdEM

akdEM

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hi guys, thank you both for taking time to do this. It is so valuable to get a glimpse at what I might be in for in a year or so. I know it's hard to quantify, but how competitive did you feel it was to get into a residency program? Did you have to just cast a wide net and hope that one of them works out?

Also, what kind of hours are you working? I am sure it dominates your time, but do you have much of a personal life during the program? Again, thank you both!

University of Kentucky

Albany Medical Center Emergency Medicine Fellowship

#13 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hello Akdem. I found the process to be much less competitive than I would have thought; with info from my director. I casted a small net, but perhaps was lucky. Think about what will make your application stand out. Most PA schools require keeping above a 3.0 gpa, and most students will keep well above that to reduce anxiety. Therefore your personal statement, noting why you want to do a fellowship, and your references are weighed more heavily than grades.

We are definitely more busy than if we were working a regular pa job, attending conferences and such. I've heard that other fellowships are even more time consuming. I've had plenty of time for personal activities; plenty of skiing this year. At AMC we will end up accumulating 20 days of paid time off. So far everyone has chosen not to take much vacation time during the year and get paid for a month after the fellowship is finished.

#14 cclark50

cclark50

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi Jordan and Matt. Is there any chance I can contact you via email? I'm a second year PA student (graduating in December) and will be applying to AMC, Johns Hopkins and NY Presbyterian. I'm the first one to do so in my school and was looking for a little guidance! I have a few specific questions. Please let me know if this is possible! Thank you!!!

#15 dreatx

dreatx

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

This sounds excellent. I hope I get into school and then a residency.

#16 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hey yall. So I'm in the middle of my airway rotation where I hope to get as many "tubes" as i can in the OR. Its been a great week, I placed 9 tubes today! It's also been nice to focus on the various pre-treatment, induction, and paralyzing agents that I may use in the ED someday. BAGGING!, am I right? It is so important and an often overlooked aspect of proper ventilation and airway management.

In other news, I find myself having nearly daily discussions with staff from different areas of the hospital about becoming a PA and/or the fellowship. I encourage any of you out there who are applying for PA school or fellowships to stay strong in your conviction. You never know what school (or single person making a decision) will like how you look on paper. MANY students do not get in to school on their first attempt, as you probably know. If you beleive in what you are doing, then don't let anything or anyone stop you along the way. You will find that some (even family or "friends") will try to bring you down or discourage, this stems from jealousy. KNOW THIS and MOVE ON.

#17 cinntsp

cinntsp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for keeping this blog going. I'm also interested in a residency/fellowship after school so it's great to read about your experience.

#18 Friction

Friction

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I love reading about your experiences. Just wish they took Bachelor's level PAs, I'd love to live on the East coast for a year and see something different than CA/AZ.

#19 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Off to Vegas on Friday for the SEMPA conference! Who's gonna be there?

#20 jd4mvp

jd4mvp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hello All. Just a reminder, every private message I have received has been appropriate for the forum page. For the sake of my sanity and the benefit of everyone else, please post you questions on the main page.

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: albany, emergency, fellowship, residency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users