Merger with Hospital--Advice Needed!

I work in a general surgery practice with 2 surgeons and 2 other PAs. We were told this summer that the hospital would be buying the practice. We have been kept in the dark quite a bit about what is actually going on. We were given salary quotes about 6 weeks ago which were a joke as well as now we will be paying our families insurance premiums. All in all about a $10K pay cut. One of our surgeons talked to them with our salary requirements and told us everything was fine. We have yet to hear anything from the hospital representative or from our docs. Needless to say I'm pretty restless and uneasy about the whole situation. I know these things take time, but I am starting to look for another position.

Should I just be patient and see how things pan out or is it time to move on? I must say I do love my job and they are very good about me needing to take off etc.

welcome to the world of big business ----- good luck dealing with professional HR departments - -

It took a long time for me to get my local Hospital system to "see the light" and I think it has more to do with the fact that they could not hire at the wages they were offering than anything else.... brush up that CV and start sending it out.

I would organize your thoughts and clearly state what you are looking for at the hospital position if you might want to stay on board. Give them a list of the lowest requirements you have and make sure to stick to it (dono't get talked down). Also make sure they realize you are making money not costing money!!

Hey, I went the exact same thing (but I was with Internal Medicine) about 15 years ago. The docs, whom I liked a lot, kept saying relax, it's all going to work out. Yetthey were fighting tooth and nail for their salaries.

Finally, once the deal was done, the hospital talked to me and told me what my salary was going to be. I said absolutely not. Then they asked me to "try out the salary for a year and then come back and talk to them if I didn't like it." There was nothing to try out. It was a big cut. So . . . I left. The docs were mad at me for leaving but they really didn't consider my needs when they done the deal with the hospital.

Wow this happened to a friend of mine, except it was two hospitals that merged thus a new name, new everything. She was told that she was going to have to reapply as a new employee since it was a "new" hospital and that there would be no guarantee. They basically wanted to let a lot of high paid people go and she was one of them. They hired NPs at half of her salary, but they also let go two ED docs and hired new ED docs at a fraction of their salary/hourly rate. The bottom line was/is the bottom dollar, get that CV updated and get it out there just in case. Good luck, and I hate to say it but nothing good and wonderful will last forever....this is the medical field.....

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with marilynpac - update your CV and keep your options open. A $10k pay cut is nothing to gloss over. Think about it: how many years would it take to make that salary difference up? You'll be in a much better bargaining position if you have something else to potentially fall back on. A PA with your experience should be able to pick up some other offers fairly easily. Don't let them push you into accepting pay and benefit cuts!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived