UC Davis General Chemistry Prerequisite Question

Hello. I spoke with one of the UC Davis PA/NP administrators today. I called about the General Chemistry requirement because I was considering taking the course online through the University of New England and I wanted to see which one (Medical General Chemistry I or Medical General Chemistry II) they accepted. She explained that the course could be either one; however, the course needed to be 5.0 units. This information came as a slight shock because not all courses are 5.0 units. For example, the University of New England's Medical General Chemistry I and II is only 4.0 units each. I know there are colleges out there that offer 5.0 unit courses. Does anyone know any further info or insight regarding this? I did not get the persons name that I spoke with. She was very short in her response (not rude or anything) and when I asked for a reasoning, she said that she doesn't know anything further other than it just has to be 5.0 units. If in fact it is 5.0 that is required, that's fine, just trying to make sure I obtained the correct information.

Maybe that means the course needs to include a lab component? That's really the only way I would imagine that would work. I'd send an email to the program asking for clarification just to make sure that's what they mean.

Non-lab gen chem classes are worth 3 credits. With a lab they are worth 4. I'm unfamiliar with any worth 5 credits, even with an intensive lab.

I am applying this year, waiting on a decision after my interview, and am a recent graduate from CSU-Sacramento. Both of our general chemistry classes (CHEM 1A and 1B) are 5 unit classes, so I know they are out there. These both include a lab component. Hope this helps. :)

Fascinating. Are you on a quarter or semester system?

Hello Cloudteta,

In regards to your chemistry course pre req look into what is called integrated science program or ISP. ISP program is in LA, courses are weekends only for 1 month each. All course units are fully accredited. If you can, take your Chem course here, why waste valuable time trying to enroll into a Comminity or State college Chem course or risk spending money on a course not accepted at Davis or elsewhere. In my personal experience PA programs in Cali tend to shy away from accepting online biology/chem courses from their applicants. Davis will accept any pre-reqs taken from ISP, a friend of mine who graduated from the Davis PA/NP program in May took several pre reqs through ISP. Hope this helps

Kagildersleeve,

I did send an email. Nearly one week went by without a reply, so I decided to I call and they returned my call that same day. If they do still reply to my email, I will paste their reply in this post so every one can have a read.

Nlara,

Yes, I am actually a registered student at ISP. I am scheduled to take their General Chemistry 2 course during the February block. I wasn't sure if every PA school accepted their courses as I have been going through the rounds of each program to find out the specifics of each, but I'm glad to hear that schools such as UC Davis will. The ISP General Chemistry course is 4.0 units; however, the ISP website explains that if you do need 5.0 units, you can take an independent study course that will allow a person to obtain 5.0 units. I was informed of the ISP program from the SJVC PA program. However, the SJVC PA program explained to me that they will only accept General Chemistry 2 from the ISP. SJVC will not accept General Chem 1 from ISP.

However, If anyone here's any further news from the UC Davis program regarding unit requirements and wants to share, that would be much appreciated.

Personally, my first thought was that the person who gave me the info about the 5.0 unit was getting the number 5 mixed up with the years they recommend the course to be taken. Although, if the 5.0 unit requirement for UC Davis holds to be true, I will not be surprised because just about every PA program that I have researched, thus far, has different requirements.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to share!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived