Vancouver, WA Job Offer - Question

hi ya,

i'm a new grad and scored the job i most wanted with the practice i wanted (rotated through with them. great docs who are easy going and enjoy teaching). by their admission, they arent really busy enough to add a PA at this time, but they didn't want me to "get away". great for me because it means i get to stay in the portland area.

so, here is the scoop. oncology gig in vancouver, wa. 4, 10 hr days. no call. no nights or weekends. rounding w/ docs at hospital included in 10 hour days.

75k, malpractice and tail covered

120 hours pto

$1000 cme plus negotiating room for cme days

medical (HSA vs ppo), dental, vision, short and long term disability and life insurance (disability and life covered 100% by them)

401k no match, but profit sharing

i saw in the appa salary survey that the avg new grad in IM or IM subspec pay for this region earned 78,500 according to the 2009 survey. given the local economy, i dont feel like i can angle much in terms of salary. but, does anyone think i could angle for $1500 cme plus cme days? is it std to have company pay for your DEA # and WA/ OR licenses and certs? or, should i just accept the offer as is. i'm fine as is - ideal job for me, but i dont want to miss something "standard". thanks.

WA license is cheap, comparatively, just $125. I think you can pay for that yourself. If your Docs want you writing scripts, you should ask that pay for your DEA# b/c it is not cheap. I would at the very least ask for 1500 CME, and at least 4-5 days CME pto. As for your starting salary vs. national avg its pretty negligible, so I think starting off w/ DEA, and CME is a great start. GL

Archived