Emergency Medicine Links/Residencies

Anyone have thoughts regarding which residencies/fellowships are best in terms of overall training received and quality of practitioner produced?  The websites can be informative, but an insider perspective would be appreciated.

I apologize if this has been a previous thread in the past.  If so, I've had trouble finding it, and would appreciate a link.

Thanks!

When I interviewed at Iowa for PA school, I was able to speak to a few of their EM PAs. They talked about the residency there and said its rigorous and very good. Its the only trauma center in the area, you do various rotations in EKG, ortho, burn, etc. Its 18 months, so you have more time to hone your skills as a practitioner. Its a fantastic hospital with a great staff, albeit in the middle of no where. 

I spent a month at Cook County Hospital and worked with all but 1 of the their current EM residents. They all seemed to really enjoy the program, and I can tell you that Cook County Hospital is one of the best teaching hospitals in the country. The pathology is unbelievable and the medical staff are very good at teaching. I think a few of the current and former residents are members of this forum. They could tell you more. Unfortunately, their program is on hold for this year and will resume against next October.

I also interviewed at (and will be attending) Albany Medical Center. You probably read the blog by one of their former residents. That was pretty much what convinced me to apply, although before reading that, Albany hadn't really been at the top of my list. After visiting the hospital and meeting with their directors and current residents, I can tell you that it looks like a fantastic program. It is very well organized and they have a clear plan of what kind of experiences they want you to get during your year there. I would highly recommend checking it out, although I admit that I'm biased.

I spent a month at Cook County Hospital and worked with all but 1 of the their current EM residents. They all seemed to really enjoy the program, and I can tell you that Cook County Hospital is one of the best teaching hospitals in the country. The pathology is unbelievable and the medical staff are very good at teaching. I think a few of the current and former residents are members of this forum. They could tell you more. Unfortunately, their program is on hold for this year and will resume against next October.

I also interviewed at (and will be attending) Albany Medical Center. You probably read the blog by one of their former residents. That was pretty much what convinced me to apply, although before reading that, Albany hadn't really been at the top of my list. After visiting the hospital and meeting with their directors and current residents, I can tell you that it looks like a fantastic program. It is very well organized and they have a clear plan of what kind of experiences they want you to get during your year there. I would highly recommend checking it out, although I admit that I'm biased.

Albany is a great program. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

So Cook County will be starting their next class in October of 2015? I was having trouble figuring out their start date, but it seemed like it was sometime in the Spring.

Thanks, I will try to post periodically to let people know how it's going.

I told you wrong. When I was up there I spoke with the current director and he was pretty sure that the program would be put on hold and restarted with admission starting in October 2015. Then a couple of weeks later I got an email from one of the HR people that said it was officially being delayed until July 2015. (I just re-read the email and saw that it was, in fact, July not October.) I'm sure once they have their new director in place, the website will be updated. It can be a little tough to get a straight answer sometimes, but that's just kind of the way County operates. I would definitely recommend the program, though.

Thanks, I will try to post periodically to let people know how it's going.

I told you wrong. When I was up there I spoke with the current director and he was pretty sure that the program would be put on hold and restarted with admission starting in October 2015. Then a couple of weeks later I got an email from one of the HR people that said it was officially being delayed until July 2015. (I just re-read the email and saw that it was, in fact, July not October.) I'm sure once they have their new director in place, the website will be updated. It can be a little tough to get a straight answer sometimes, but that's just kind of the way County operates. I would definitely recommend the program, though.

Thanks!  I'll try and contact them early next year and see how things are looking. 

My challenge is that I graduate in mid June and won't have much time to PANCE, credential, move, and get started before July 1. Some places are more flexible, but if they intend on starting with the interns, I'm usually out of luck. 

• 3 months later...

Looking over this list of options for possible EM Residencies, I am fairly surprised there is nothing available in the PAC N.W. Does anybody know why this may be? It would seem there should be a few possible locations that would lend themselves to this opportunity. As I move forward in my quest to become a PA,  I would love to see something made available to students that matriculate in this corner of the world as far as potential sights.

• 1 month later...

Yale-New Haven Hospital is now accepting applicants for the inaugural class of the YNHH Emergency Medicine PA/NP Residency Program.  Information is posted here on the forum on the PA Residency Thread (see link below).  Feel free to contact any of the program directors listed on the attached brochure for further information about the program.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/15522-yale-new-haven-hospital-emergency-medicine-residency/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't been to one (plan on applying to some next year), but a few forum members have attended Einstein in Philly and Albany and they sound excellent. Pretty much integrated into a PGY1 resident. The off service rotations sound great as well (Ultrasound, Opth, etc.)

I'm sure many of the other are good too. Just do your due diligence when applying and interviewing.

I haven't been to one (plan on applying to some next year), but a few forum members have attended Einstein in Philly and Albany and they sound excellent. Pretty much integrated into a PGY1 resident. The off service rotations sound great as well (Ultrasound, Opth, etc.)

I'm sure many of the other are good too. Just do your due diligence when applying and interviewing.

How would I do due diligence? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the internet about many of these programs.

Also, why are some of the programs listed here on the APPAP website, while others are not?

The lack of information can be frustrating, but it is a reality of this relatively new and small segment of the PA profession. I can suggest two things to help with your due diligence.

First, last year at AAPA there was an information session on PA residencies right after the APPAP member meeting, if you are going this year, look for it. Very few students attended. I was able to get a lot of useful information on applications and interviewing, plus I met a few program directors. Also, if you can't make it to AAPA, but can go to SEMPA or ACEP, reach out to some of the programs and see if they will be there. You might be able to set up a short meeting with a director or some of the residents. I can't emphasize how helpful these face-to-face meetings can be.  

Second, contact the programs directly. This was the advice I got from all the program directors form a wide range of specialties who were at the meeting. I did this countless times over the past year and it really helped narrow the field to the programs I wanted to apply to. 

Unfortunately, there is no centralized application service and the websites aren't as developed, so those of us looking at residencies have to somewhat go it alone. We are pioneers in our field, so we have to make it work. Good luck and I'm happy you're starting the process early, applying early is something else that was recommended by all the program directors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

How would I do due diligence? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the internet about many of these programs.

Also, why are some of the programs listed here on the APPAP website, while others are not?

To me (disclaimer: I haven't participated in a residency): Due diligence = contacting programs and making sure your goals for a postgraduate program line up with theirs. They aren't just interviewing you, but you them. Some are community based EM programs and some are Urban Level I trauma centers. You will have vastly different experiences at each. I'm sure you know this but the PD's will have different personalities. Some will be research focus and others not as much. Some will have options for EMS and flight work, others not. Go into it with specific goals and questions and they will probably appreciate you even more based on your unique ideas and goals.

From my understanding APPAP is just an association with a few standards and an admission fee for postgraduate programs. Non-affiliated programs may have equal qualifications and just not be members.

• Upvote 2

I agree with all of the above. It's tough gathering info on programs. My strategy was to narrow down a few places based on location, info on the website, application timing with my graduation date and then dig deeper into those 3-5 programs. I emailed program directors, spoke to a few on the phone, and eventually ended up applying to a couple of the programs. I would also recommend asking if you can speak to some current or former fellows/residents. That's the best way to learn about a program in my opinion.

As far as the APPAP and the whole accreditation thing... accreditation for PA fellowships is still in its infancy. They still working out the details on what the standards should be and trying to come up with a more uniform education process similar to the MD residents. It's a work in progress. At this point, getting accredited costs a lot of money and offers no real benefits to the program or its graduates. I wouldn't put much stock in accreditation right now.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

These last few posts have been particularly helpful! I don't graduate until Dec. of this year and have already started the process for programs that begin next spring. Between these forums and the program websites/Facebook pages I have learned a lot about the different programs. I have found that the program directors are usually more than happy to talk/email with you and answer any questions. I've also spoken to several graduates of these programs and gained good insights. 

• 2 months later...

This information is great, and I look forward to applying to a residency for after graduation next year. Thanks to all who have contributed info.

I do have one question: can anyone think of a major downside to completing a residency at a facility that IS NOT a level I trauma center? My goal of completing a residency is to gain the experience necessary to function at a high level (I.e. not be relegated to fast-track), and I am worried that a residency at a level II or III facility may compromise my exposure to the full gamut of ER experiences. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, especially from individuals who have completed residencies or worked alongside graduates of them.

On another note, the University of Missouri has a 12 mos residency in EM. I am not referring to their 15 mos critical care or 12 mos hospitalist residencies, either. The website is a work in progress, but their first class just started (they have an early July start). I know without a working website it may not be worth posting, but if a moderator wants to PM me I can point you in the direction of the program director (who I have corresponded with regarding the program).

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody's interested, the Carolinas Healthcare System Center for Advanced Practice has put some information about their EM fellowship on their website. It looks like a good opportunity for anybody looking for an EM program near Charlotte. There's a critical care core, off-service rotations, and (it appears) a decent amount of procedure training.

http://www.carolinashealthcare.org/center-for-advanced-practice-emergency-medicine

• 3 months later...