Emergency Medicine Links/Residencies

Hope you don't mind me attaching this to your thread EMEDPA. If your interested in post grad program working with our nations vets...Sorry, not EM http://pap.med.ufl.edu/about-us-2/post-graduate-programs/

not a problem. looks like a nice program.

you might want to post this elsewhere on the forum as well in the residency section under its own thread.

On behalf of West Virginia University, we encourage PAs working in Emergency Medicine to check out our 2 great programs:

- The Emergency Medicine Certificate Program offers 10 online courses covering the core content of Emergency Medicine. Students may opt to pick and choose select courses or pursue a graduate certificate of completion with the full list. This is a 100% web-based program and we offer flexible options for payment of tuition and fees, as well as Category I CME.

-The Emergency Medicine Procedures Workshop is held annually on our Health Sciences Campus, with the next offering June 6-8, 2013. Join us for 3 days of hands on training in procedures integral to the practice of Emergency Medicine. Space is limited to no more than 20 participants and registration includes all workshop sessions, handouts/materials, and 3 meals per day.

For more information on either of our exciting programs, please visit www.emcpwvu.com or feel free to reply with any questions!

On behalf of West Virginia University, we encourage PAs working in Emergency Medicine to check out our 2 great programs:

- The Emergency Medicine Certificate Program offers 10 online courses covering the core content of Emergency Medicine. Students may opt to pick and choose select courses or pursue a graduate certificate of completion with the full list. This is a 100% web-based program and we offer flexible options for payment of tuition and fees, as well as Category I CME.

-The Emergency Medicine Procedures Workshop is held annually on our Health Sciences Campus, with the next offering June 6-8, 2013. Join us for 3 days of hands on training in procedures integral to the practice of Emergency Medicine. Space is limited to no more than 20 participants and registration includes all workshop sessions, handouts/materials, and 3 meals per day.

For more information on either of our exciting programs, please visit www.emcpwvu.com or feel free to reply with any questions!

• 6 months later...

Regarding the Team Health Fellowship in Oklahoma.... "The fellow will work 15 shifts monthly including five “flow shifts” per month in the fast-track at MMC treating less acute patients with higher patient volumes under the supervision of a BE/BC emergency physician.  Additional rotations will be provided in orthopedics, radiology, anesthesia, trauma,  as well as pre-hospital care with EMS service."  I'm hoping this means you work 15 shifts, only 5 of which are in fast track. That's a very reasonable workload.

• 4 months later...

EmCare had a posting for MLP EM "internship" in Dallas slated for later this summer at their website over the past couple of weeks (not there now).  Residency?  Don't think so. It on the surface sounded separate from just throwing a newbie to the wolves.  Thinking out loud, I wonder why more large groups don't actually offer "residencies" as another revenue source by using the title to pay a lower stipend than full-time pay, while at the same time training their MLP's (their title, not mine) in the manner that they wish?  As in this case, they have access to a level 1 trauma center as well as lesser levels of ED's.  They could most likely work out a deal to allow for these individuals to ride out with Dallas Fire-Rescue, or other local EMS providers.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I felt the same way. However, I'm not very familiar with how FEP uses their PA's and it could just be semantics.  If I was thinking of doing it, I would probably email the director and see exactly what they had the PA's do and how much they pay. FEP has a residency and a US program, so it could be a good deal.

• 1 month later...

Florida Emergency Physicians in central Florida started an allied health training program in 2013-perfect for new grads or PAs that want to transition to ER but lack the necessary experience. More info at www.floridaep.com

Did not know that they trained PT and OT and the like to be EM providers....

seriously - we are not Allied Health.....  Look it up in CMS

We are PA and/or NPs - 

Might help to atleast use the right names.....

Most prefer "advanced practice clinician"

• Upvote 1

Florida Emergency Physicians in central Florida started an allied health training program in 2013-perfect for new grads or PAs that want to transition to ER but lack the necessary experience. More info at www.floridaep.com

I looked at the site and was not overly impressed. sounds like they train you to work in fast track, not the main e.d.

no mention of icu training , airway training, central lines, etc.

looks like a good orientation to low acuity emergency medicine, but I would not call it a residency by any means.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the vocab lesson;)

EMEDPA: It's an awesome option for those of us (new grads) in Florida to get into the ER without experience. I haven't started yet (start in June) but I'm sure it will be great. I'll be at the main campus and will attend conferences/workshops with the physician EM residents weekly. It's in its first year, and I'm sure it will continue to expand:). I'll keep you posted;)

• 1 month later...

Anyone have thoughts regarding which residencies/fellowships are best in terms of overall training received and quality of practitioner produced?  The websites can be informative, but an insider perspective would be appreciated.

I apologize if this has been a previous thread in the past.  If so, I've had trouble finding it, and would appreciate a link.

Thanks!