"perfect job"-minimal acceptable salary

perfect job(hrs/benefits/etc...lowest salary you would take  

349 members have voted

1. 1. perfect job(hrs/benefits/etc...lowest salary you would take

• >90k

Man, I must have my priorities wrong. I mean, if I had a PA job . . . urgent care, 4 hours a day, in a quint village (Varenna) on Lake Como in Italy, housing paid (water view 500 year-old villa), food paid, expresso paid, wine paid, free health insurance, mo-ped, kayak, free RT trip to the states twice a year to see family thrown in . . . hey, I would work for almost nothing.

Mike

One can't live another man's dream, just encourage him to chase it! I say go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, I must have my priorities wrong. I mean, if I had a PA job . . . urgent care, 4 hours a day, in a quint village (Varenna) on Lake Como in Italy, housing paid (water view 500 year-old villa), food paid, expresso paid, wine paid, free health insurance, mo-ped, kayak, free RT trip to the states twice a year to see family thrown in . . . hey, I would work for almost nothing.

Mike

see that's the spirit of the thread....but it's a perfect job...you only have to work summers, spring break, and xmas so your family can go with you....:D

OR something like this...3 days/week, full time salary, even has on site day care....

PA - Emergency Medicine position available

Harlowton - Rural opportunity for PA with ED experience; FT position working Friday - Sunday.

Rural position for a PA with minimum two years Emergency Medicine experience. Candidate will work straight weekends with occasional coverage for other providers leave. Position will see patients in the clinic on Fridays and cover the ER on weekends until 8 a.m. Monday. Full-time pay (DOE) and excellent benefits package, including health, dental and disability insurance, retirement plan, 5 days for CME, PTO, relocation, etc. As an added benefit, an on-site daycare has also recently been opened. The hospital is the largest employer with agriculture, sheep and cattle and new manufacturing growth playing a part in the economy of Wheatland County and Harlowton. Montana's largest wind farm is also located in the area. Harlowton is located in central Montana amongst the Big Snowy, Little Belts, Castle and Crazy Mountains. The town population is just under 1,000 with nearly 2,000 in the 1400 square mile county. Outdoor recreation abounds in our area with big game and bird hunting, fishing in the Mussellshell River and mountain lakes, hiking, camping and biking. Harlowton is within easy driving distance to many of Montana's larger cities. Billings is 95 miles to the souteast, Bozeman 105 miles to the southwest and Great Falls is 120 miles to the northwest. Our community, while rural, has many amenities that make it a great place to live and raise a family. In addition to the wonderful people, we have an excellent Class C school system with very competitive sport teams and extracurricular offerings. A community swimming pool is a favorite hangout during the summer months and The Chill Zone, located in the library, is a popular indoor gathering place for youngsters with a pool table, games, TV, etc. If you visit once, you won't want to leave!

OR something like this...3 days/week, full time salary, even has on site day care....

PA - Emergency Medicine position available

Harlowton - Rural opportunity for PA with ED experience; FT position working Friday - Sunday.

Rural position for a PA with minimum two years Emergency Medicine experience. Candidate will work straight weekends with occasional coverage for other providers leave. Position will see patients in the clinic on Fridays and cover the ER on weekends until 8 a.m. Monday. Full-time pay (DOE) and excellent benefits package, including health, dental and disability insurance, retirement plan, 5 days for CME, PTO, relocation, etc. As an added benefit, an on-site daycare has also recently been opened. The hospital is the largest employer with agriculture, sheep and cattle and new manufacturing growth playing a part in the economy of Wheatland County and Harlowton. Montana's largest wind farm is also located in the area. Harlowton is located in central Montana amongst the Big Snowy, Little Belts, Castle and Crazy Mountains. The town population is just under 1,000 with nearly 2,000 in the 1400 square mile county. Outdoor recreation abounds in our area with big game and bird hunting, fishing in the Mussellshell River and mountain lakes, hiking, camping and biking. Harlowton is within easy driving distance to many of Montana's larger cities. Billings is 95 miles to the souteast, Bozeman 105 miles to the southwest and Great Falls is 120 miles to the northwest. Our community, while rural, has many amenities that make it a great place to live and raise a family. In addition to the wonderful people, we have an excellent Class C school system with very competitive sport teams and extracurricular offerings. A community swimming pool is a favorite hangout during the summer months and The Chill Zone, located in the library, is a popular indoor gathering place for youngsters with a pool table, games, TV, etc. If you visit once, you won't want to leave!

I rode my motorcycle throught this town/area this summer on my way home from Glacier National Park.The area is a collection of stunning vistas. The locals seemed to be friendly too!

PrimeCare P.L.L.C. is proud to introduce themselves as the winner of "Access Health 2010"...

This President Obama... initiated program known as "Access Health 20
"
gave
$
,000,000 to the winner of this grant, PrimeCare PLLC... to build, stock and Staff 10 global/mobile primary care clinics.

As part of their proposal/submission, PrimeCare PLLC's board of directors
earmarked the $10
,000,000 (actually $12,000,000) as such:

$1,500,000
for 10 portable/mobile clinics (truck/ship portable clinic required. $150,000 allowed for each clinic)

$2,000,000
in "site prep" for 10 portable/mobile clinics... (multi-year $$$ account up to $200k each x 10 clinics to account for global clinical site moves, work and preparation)

$2,500,000
in clinical stock x 5 years for all 10 clinics

$5,000,000
as $100,000/yr salary for each NPP that staffs the 10 clinics.
(according to U.S.tax Law... $83k in personal salary is tax free if you stay Oconus x 330 days/year. YOU only pay as if YOU make $20,000/yr x 5 years if you practice OCONUS.)

~$12,000,000 in "Gov" grants to extend "Access to Healthcare" to those without....;)

Process...

NPP applys for job... and NPP chooses clinic site location
(Conus/Oconus)
after hired. The NPP can choose ANY site worldwide. For approval... The NPP must agree to a 5 year contract... but the "turn-key" mobile clinic, supplies, SP, traditional bennies, provided.

Dynamic, experienced, ex- militay, Medex trained PA-C with Nursing, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Orthopedic Medicine, General Surg, Surgical Oncology
knowledge preferred... ;)

CAdamsPAC...

Would YOU accept:

$100,000/yr salary... + CME (Family flight to U.S x 2/yr covered, etc), Housing + traditional Expat bennies... ($85,000/yr of this CAN be "tax FREE" if you practice medicine OCONUS)...

YOU... "Pick YOUR spot"...

Sign a contract...

They "install" a clinic pretty much\WHEREVER your "dart" landed on the map while blind-folded.

Bring the "S.O." and the grandkids...

No love...???:confused: :confused:

C

• 3 months later...
Guest hankpac

The money is for experience, and your expenditures should not be a factor. I am not going to take less just because I have less overhead. I would want to negotiate higher not lower.

With 20 years exp, half in a solo ER, I come at a premium.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Anyone care to give an approximation of how much of that goes to taxes?

depends how much you make. as you make more you pay a greater % taxes until you become enron then you pay none....

assume 20-30% goes to taxes in the range for most pa salaries.

Here's what I'm talking about. I met a Dental Hygienist in Whistler a couple of days ago. She had a great job in Vancouver, BC earning $25/ hour. She loved Whistler so much that five years ago, she came to Whistler on vacation and never went home. At first she worked waiting tables. Then she got a (rare) dental hygienist job for a few months but the dentist made life hell so she quit. Since then she's been working odd jobs in the tourism industry earning about $10/hour but loving every minute of it. She can kayak to work or mountain bike to work, and in the winter she skis to work.

So, I gave up a good salary 92k and excellent benefits to come here and (during the first year-five years ago) earn 60K/year and few benefits. I've managed to improve things since a great deal. However, all my PA friends, at the time, thought I was nuts especially when I had an offer at a headache clinic (in another boring place) for $120k/year. But I wouldn't trade my quality of life here for 200k/year somewhere else. Money just doesn't buy happiness. People like this dental hygienist reminds me that I'm not 000201C7.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I only put 50K (please don't kill me!!) only because I only want PT work, with bennies. I have been offered PT work with bennies for low 40s, and it isn't enough because it is my ONLY job (don't have time for FT), and I have the same responsibilities (2 mortgages, a child, etc).

I think if a person makes a PT job their only job, and is there and completely available to do extra things and add on other tasks as appropriate, instead of cramming the PT job in between 1 or 2 other jobs, that they should be paid enough to allow them to keep that as their only job, and to be maximally available and flexible.

jmj11;149528. But I wouldn't trade my quality of life here for 200k/year somewhere else. Money just doesn't buy happiness.

Couldn't agree more! Being payed fairly for work done is always a good thing...but money is a very poor indicator of the quallity of life. It is also very nice to have time to enjoy life so we can remain balanced in all aspects of our personal & professional roles.

• 1 month later...

I was asked to fill in for a PA at a clinic for the past 2 weeks. It was a clinic located at a large factory and I just had to see their employees for "on the job" injuries and minor illnesses. It was a PIECE OF CAKE! I was paid $85/hr plus they paid for my hotel, gas, mileage, etc. Now I'm spoiled. I was wondering if I could possibly get some contracts set up with docs and fill in for them when they're on vacation. I would LOVE to get a deal like the one I just had. I was thinking about going to a big city like Houston (where I would have a place to stay for free) and get docs interested in something like this.

I just started a ER job and I'm going to work about 10 shifts per month (mainly on the weekends), so this leaves me open for PRN job opportunities during the week. My question is...how much should I charge for something like that? I can't imagine there are very many midlevels who are available to do PRN work like that, so I want to make sure I'm charging enough. What do you guys think?? Remember, I'm paying my own benefits, malpractice insurance, taxes, etc...

I was asked to fill in for a PA at a clinic for the past 2 weeks. It was a clinic located at a large factory and I just had to see their employees for "on the job" injuries and minor illnesses. It was a PIECE OF CAKE! I was paid $85/hr plus they paid for my hotel, gas, mileage, etc. Now I'm spoiled. I was wondering if I could possibly get some contracts set up with docs and fill in for them when they're on vacation. I would LOVE to get a deal like the one I just had. I was thinking about going to a big city like Houston (where I would have a place to stay for free) and get docs interested in something like this.

I just started a ER job and I'm going to work about 10 shifts per month (mainly on the weekends), so this leaves me open for PRN job opportunities during the week. My question is...how much should I charge for something like that? I can't imagine there are very many midlevels who are available to do PRN work like that, so I want to make sure I'm charging enough. What do you guys think?? Remember, I'm paying my own benefits, malpractice insurance, taxes, etc...

I've alway been told benefits are 1/3 of your total compensation. If these positions do not offer benefits, I would expect the cash in my pockets plus a bit more due to the nature and circumstance of your services. Just the view of an old guy.:D

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, a lot of it depends on where you live. SOmeone working in Mass may not expect less than 90-100k, but the same person in PA, WV or Ohio in a small town doing essentially the same job may think 65-70k is a good job.

You have to remember that reimbursement and cost of living are also huge factors. The reimbursement in Pittsburgh, PA isn't necessarily the same as Philly and so on.....obviously the same with COL.

Another factor would be job market competition. Living somehere with only 1 trauma center and a couple of small hospitals might make the ER job market tight if that is where you were set on living. Same thing is true if you are a new grad and live in an area with a lot of graduating PA students.

I think there are a number of other factors to take into consideration besides amount of experience.

Really?? I am gonna have to argue this point. My first job was in Souther Oregon in a city of 70,000. We were so close to CA that our cost of living was off the charts. They started me off in an Advanced Wound Center at 70K with not so great bennefits.

I am from Iowa and needed to get back home to help take care of my mother with MS and I couldn't afford to buy a house out there on 70K so, back I came.

I was hired in a town of 2,500. Family med. 4.5 days a week. One night a week in the ER and one weekend a month in the ER. (we didn't have to be there, we could be at our home as long as we could respond in 20 minutes) I brought home 110K. 401K was 10% no matter what we put in. Too bad they treated me LIKE CRAP. (Not the docs, but the nurses and admin) So, I started searching elsewhere. I was nervous that I would never find a job with that pay and bennefits.

To my surprise a tiny little town of 3500 in rural Nebraska was seeking 3 new PA's to run the ER/Hospital. We would work ten 24 hour shifts a month. We were allowed to sleep any time we wanted as long as there were no patients to be seen. Health coverage was only an HFA. They did put 1K in it to start you off. Retirement....ready for this...15% no matter what we put in!! Wooow!! Starting salary....ready 95K with a 10K sign on bonus. 10K/year raise. I picked up several extra shifts this year and should bring home about 130K for about 11 days per month. The docs are great and actually encourage us to call them with ANY questions at all hours!!! They actually get a little upset if we don't call but, still allows us a lot of autonomy.

But, for my ideal job working in low-cost area....I would take 70K (You can buy a house on a lake here for 250K. LOL...you can buy a small house not on a lake for 50K if you want to.

• 3 weeks later...

there are jobs like the one posted above...a former student of mine got 1 in oklahoma right out of school...guy did a trauma thoracotomy in his first yr in practice.....wow, just wow.....

4.5 yrs later...kids a bit older...would still take the perfect job for <100k if it really was perfect;

7 24 hr shifts/mo, max autonomy, full benefits, walk to work in small rural community, etc

• 3 years later...

currently seriously thinking about this position for when I am done with school:

http://www.lalmba.com/volunteer.html

I know I want to do international work but unfortunately most jobs either involve taking care of americans(only) overseas at places like embassies while ignoring the native population or involve meaningful work with at risk populations at low to no pay. if I can afford to do so I will go for the meaningful work over the "travel" option

• 6 months later...

seriously considering leaving my urban em job or at least cutting down to the bare min for something with a lot more autonomy and better scope of practice..I have a few feelers out....one place said they might fly me to their site and pay food/ housing...just need to see if the salary is doable or not....

• 3 months later...
seriously considering leaving my urban em job or at least cutting down to the bare min for something with a lot more autonomy and better scope of practice..I have a few feelers out.....

well, 4 months later and just landed another rural per diem job. if they can give me regular shifts I will likely cut down to the bare min at my primary job just to keep benefits/retirement. dropped my other urban inner city per diem job as it really wasn't what I was looking for.

• 1 year later...

well, 4 months later and just landed another rural per diem job. if they can give me regular shifts I will likely cut down to the bare min at my primary job just to keep benefits/retirement. dropped my other urban inner city per diem job as it really wasn't what I was looking for.

20 months later: Cutting back at primary urban job to 9 solo twelve hr nights/mo. Have negotiated 4 twelves/mo at coastal rural per diem job (and just purchased a tiny studio condo there) and trying to do as many as possible at full scope rural job. In the next few years hope to be full time at one of the two rural jobs and either drop primary job entirely or go to 1-2 shifts/mo to keep up social contacts there. primary job may soon lose hospital contract to group which staffs coastal per diem job. if that happens I could likely create a full time job out of the 2 sites with a single employer.

As to the spirit of the original topic, for 6-7 24s/mo with every benefit imaginable and working in a full scope solo environment I would seriously consider 100-120k like this job: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/15490-dream-em-pa-job-in-maine/

This is a great thread, really.  I wonder how many of us will actually use this "exercise" as a motivator to take concrete steps toward the realization of their dream job.  Frankly, I would love to work in some form of SAR / tactical medicine / adventure medicine.  But with two kids in college... it's back to the ED I go!

Archived