Neonatal certification?

Hi, are there any post grad programs for PAs for neonatal certification? I may be interested in switching specialties. An area hospital has a large NICU but staffed with all docs and NPs. I know there are practicing PAs in NICUs, was it mostly on the job training? I can't imagine being competitive without a certification, let alone that it is a requirement for some if not all NICU positions. Also, I'm guessing that post certificate programs geared toward NPs aren't going to be terribly enthusiastic about allowing entry for a PA? Any thoughts or contact info about someone in the know/ field would be great.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

There is also a new program being started at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) which looks AMAZING!! I have been DYING for a program to come to the north east & my wish just came true!! They are having open houses now & I BELIEVE are interested in getting PAs in there for the program starting next year.

NRP is one day now, but yeah. And for those not already in the know, APLS and PALS are different courses, http://www.aplsonline.com/about/history.aspx

APLS by the way is far superior. have taken pals probably 12-13 times and took APLS once and was blown away by the quality. I was the only pa in a class full of er docs.

I took NRP once as a 2 day course in 1994(when it was called NALS) and wasn't impressed at all. didn't even bother to recert it. here is nals/nrp in a sentence "do pals algorithms but put them on a warmer and put down an OG tube during the code". important if you work in the nicu but I don't.

on a side note ALSO (adv. life support in obstetrics) is also a great course. more about mom than the babies though.

Archived