Looking At Post Grad Programs

Hi Folks,

I am new to this site, but I will make this short...

I have been practicing in the capacity of an orthopedic PA for almost three years since my graduation from PA school. I found out that I really like ortho, who knew??? Anyway, I want to become better and learn more. My contract will be ending in another seven months. I am strongly interested in doing a residency program that will help my skills and knowledge about ortho, but may also give me somewhat of a peek at some other specialties to make sure ortho is really where I want to be. Some of the programs deadlines are coming up at the end of this year. I will continue reading all the post in this section, however any advice or any info at all about applying, what to look for, or how to break this news to my current attending would be most appreciated. In particular I am interested in the WakeMed residency in North Carolina. Thanks in advance.

Just be straightforward. Tell your SP that you're interested in a Ortho residency and ask him what he knows about them. He'll automatically know that you're probably not going to be renewing your contract and probably want to you to help train a new PA. That would be an excellent way for you to exit. I know Illinois also has an Ortho residency in Peoria. Good luck.

WakeMed has a fantastic program and very impressive facilities. I interviewed there this year but turned down the offer due to the fact that they added 3 months of ortho surgery (I was interested in the critical care and trauma part) but for you that would be great! It's broken down into 3 months critical care, 3 months trauma, 3 general surgery, and 3 ortho surgery. So you would definitely get a mix. All of the faculty members were extremely nice and very willing to teach. The current PA residents were very happy they chose that residency. I would highly recommend it from what I saw when interviewing.

Nice to hear great things about WakeMed's CCM/Trauma residency. This is the one I have my eye on to interview for next year. However, I do wish there were more focus on critical care medicine.

there are several (like umass) that are critical care only with minimal o.r. time.

Nice to hear great things about WakeMed's CCM/Trauma residency. This is the one I have my eye on to interview for next year. However, I do wish there were more focus on critical care medicine.

There are definitely other programs that focus more on critical care medicine. UMass is great, I interviewed there a few weeks ago. They have something like 7 ICUs and an eICU. You rotate through adult, peds, cardiac, and neuro ICUs. And St. Luke's program is a trauma and critical care residency. Also a great program.

Hi klb48. Thanks for the info. Do you know if the PA residents would be competing with the med residents for OR time???

I remember asking about competition for floor procedures (lines, etc) since that was more my interest and they said PA residents always did procedures on their own patients and often residents would be happy to let the PA residents do floor procedures as well. From what I remember I think their residents are all PGY2 and up. So they are more interested in OR time. That being said, when I interviewed the current PA resident was in the OR and couldn't meet with me until the end of the day. I would assume there is some competition but they have something like 29 ORs (I did my surgery rotation in school at a hospital with one OR, lol) so I imagine you will get plenty of OR time.

Archived