Problem with schedule II in MI?

As in the title. I have had problems with two pharmacists in the past two days questioning the legality of my outpatient schedule II prescriptions. I am aware of the issue with D.O.s, but I am using an M.D. as my SP, so not an issue with me. I am going to contact MAPA to see if they can brief the pharmacist organizations on the new law. I work at a pain clinic and have been writing prescriptions like this for the past four months without issue. I am interested if anyone else is having issues. Thanks

why wait for MAPA

get the appropriate laws and regs - print them out - send them to the pharm - call them to follow up on the scripts - refuse to have anyone rewrite your scripts - force the issue with lots of please, thank yous, and killing them with kindness but be firm and stand on a strong platform of beig positive you are right!

Use it as teaching moment to bring them up to speed - make a friend in the pharmacy staff....... show that as well as being right you can be classy and patient

Guest Paula

I agree with ventana. Do the work yourself, copy your license and DEA to them, and give them a call. I work in MI and had a problem with one pharmacy who would not fill my schedule II prescription. I attempted to call the pharmacy (they are a small-town pharmacist owned operation, with a bad reputation of the pharmacist who refuses to fill scripts for people on UPHP or for certain meds that he thinks people should not get). They would not answer their phone and had no fax line to fax the info to. I gave up, but thanks for reminding me, I still have my packet I was going to fax to them. Hmmmm....another thing to do tomorrow.

• 7 months later...

"A physician’s assistant may prescribe drugs as a delegated act of a supervising physician in accordance with procedures and protocol for the prescription established by rule of the appropriate board. A physician’s assistant may prescribe a drug, including a controlled substance that is included in schedules 2 to 5 of part 72, as a delegated act of the supervising physician. When delegated prescription occurs, both the physician’s assistant’s name and the supervising physician’s name shall be used, recorded, or otherwise indicated in connection with each individual prescription so that the individual who dispenses or administers the prescription knows under whose delegated authority the physician’s assistant is prescribing. When delegated prescription of drugs that are included in schedules 2 to 5 occurs, both the physician’s assistant’s and the supervising physician’s DEA registration numbers shall be used, recorded, or otherwise indicated in connection with each individual prescription."

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/publicact/htm/2012-PA-0618.htm

Ventan's advice is sound.. Go there, see them face to face.

If no meeting of the minds occur, send them a courtesy copy of your written synopsis of the meeting, expressing your understanding as to why they refuse to honor your scripts ( which ARE administratively correct in every particular, right? ), the original of which has been sent to the state board of pharmacy, inquiring as to why one of their licensed pharmacists insists on not performing his duties...

An interesting question , as an aside, is.. Can a pharmacist be COMPELLED to honor a prescription???

An interesting question , as an aside, is.. Can a pharmacist be COMPELLED to honor a prescription???

They must honor their code of ethics (http://www.pharmacist.com/code-ethics) to continue practicing in which the following might apply:

VI. A pharmacist respects the values and abilities of colleagues and other health professionals.

In continuation, the abilities of PAs were clearly spelled out in a recent MI law (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/publicact/htm/2012-PA-0618.htm):

"A physician’s assistant may prescribe drugs as a delegated act of a supervising physician in accordance with procedures and protocol for the prescription established by rule of the appropriate board. A physician’s assistant may prescribe a drug, including a controlled substance that is included in schedules 2 to 5 of part 72, as a delegated act of the supervising physician. When delegated prescription occurs, both the physician’s assistant’s name and the supervising physician’s name shall be used, recorded, or otherwise indicated in connection with each individual prescription so that the individual who dispenses or administers the prescription knows under whose delegated authority the physician’s assistant is prescribing. When delegated prescription of drugs that are included in schedules 2 to 5 occurs, both the physician’s assistant’s and the supervising physician’s DEA registration numbers shall be used, recorded, or otherwise indicated in connection with each individual prescription."

I would carefully remind them of these 2 documents and then move up the chain of command or contact the MAPA if the issue cannot be resolved.

Archived