Michigan PA programs

Guest brightness

Guest brightness

I am currently going to Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant Michigan and getting a degree in Biomedical Sciences. I am probably going to try and stay in Michigan for my MS degree; I am wondering if there are opinions about the programs at Wayne State, Central Mich., Western Mich., and finally, Detroit Mercy. These would be the top choices for me so I can stay in Michigan; however, I am open to other suggestions for good programs. I'm not interested in big names but I want a quality education. Affordablilty is not a big issue for me; I am poor but before I was considering going to medical school so 2 1/2 years of debt is no biggie.

I'm a 1st year at Western and I'm happy. Would I change some things? You bet. Overall though, I a very satisfied with my education.

Dreamin and Bobby,

Quick question if I may. Did either of you choose the Problem Based Learning route or did you go traditional lecture format? If you did choose PBL, could you tell us all why and what advantages/dis in your opinions. I have a good friend that graduated from WMU within the last two years, did the PBL and loved it!..

Thanks for the info, should be helpful to prospective students!

GO CHIPS!!

Dreamin and Bobby,

Quick question if I may. Did either of you choose the Problem Based Learning route or did you go traditional lecture format? If you did choose PBL, could you tell us all why and what advantages/dis in your opinions. I have a good friend that graduated from WMU within the last two years, did the PBL and loved it!..

Thanks for the info, should be helpful to prospective students!

GO CHIPS!!

What is PBL?

Guest iris rose

PBL stands for problem based learning. From my understanding, you are presented with a case, and in a small group, you go out and do research to figure out what can cause those symptoms. However, I'm not entirely sure, so someone who has been taught through the PBL format could probably explain it better, and correct me if I'm mistaken.

To the OP: I'm at Central's program, and I love it. The faculty and staff are so wonderful and ready to help you out no matter what the problem. The class before us has been throwing numerous gatherings to help us get acquainted with our professors and our classmates. Everyone wants to help everyone. The professors really want you to pass and have an open door policy for office hours. Also, the entire building you have classes in is wireless and the technology is amazing. Since I've only been here for 5 days, I can't really comment on the quality of education that I received, but I can tell you that this place was/is a great fit for me. Go to where you feel is right for you.

Guest brightness

Thank you for the replies. In terms of going to medical school, I am still really thinking about it. I am not sure if academically I am cut out for it, or if I want to spend the time or money on medical school. Ultimatley, I think I would rather be a doctor than a PA, and most of my feelings that lead me towards NOT going to medical school on being afraid I can't do it or negative things I've heard from other people.

Ugh. I'm really indecisive and its very difficult for me to choose. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about both paths, and then make my decision.

• 1 year later...
Guest lackeyd

Does anyone have any comments about Detroit Mercy?? I am hoping to start in the fall of 08 and have only considered applying to Detroit Mercy. I was originally on a veterinarian pathway and just recently switched to PA. I live in Flint so I am trying to find the shortest commute. Well, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am at Wayne State and only know a little about UDM's program. Cost wise UDM is the most expensive program in the state (it is about 70K more than Wayne's). Also don't base your decision on what school to go on based on commute. UDM and WSU for instance are probably less than 10 mins apart, either one is a straight shot down I-75. Regardless you need to pick a program that best suits your needs all around. If you have your pre-req's done and exp. Wayne's application is due in Sept and you could be starting the program in May 08. If you have any specific questions about Wayne's program let me know.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest theresa1491
I am at Wayne State and only know a little about UDM's program. Cost wise UDM is the most expensive program in the state (it is about 70K more than Wayne's). Also don't base your decision on what school to go on based on commute. UDM and WSU for instance are probably less than 10 mins apart, either one is a straight shot down I-75. Regardless you need to pick a program that best suits your needs all around. If you have your pre-req's done and exp. Wayne's application is due in Sept and you could be starting the program in May 08. If you have any specific questions about Wayne's program let me know.

HopefulPA,

Hi :) My interview for Wayne State is next week. Any tips? I have a friend who went through Wayne's program and loved it. She works at Beaumont at the moment. She told me not to really worry about the interview because they just asked really basic questions. Did you have any questions you wished you would have asked (or didn't-ha)? What was the interview's tone? Thanks in advance!

Based on sharing our interviewing experiences among our current class, it seems that the interviews are geared to each applicant. We were all asked specific questions based on our own experiences and backgrounds. So not here are the 10 ? they ask everyone. The current students are involved in the interview process but not the actual interview. We do the tour, a presentation about the program, answer questions about the program and mainly keep the interviewees from committing suicide before the actual interview with the faculty!:rolleyes:

Be able to answer any questions about your weaknesses and why you want to be a PA.

BTW- Almost all of us felt we did bad :eek: after our interviews, all the wish I said this, wish I said that, etc... I think it is normal....

Good luck!

I am a recent grad of UDM's PA program and I really loved the school. Just like most PA schools, it is a lot of info to process in 2 years, and you have to be quite an independent learner and go the extra mile so that you can get the most out of the program. I think that the didactic year education was excellent, and the clinical year rotations provided a lot of experience. I felt very prepared for the PANCE, and I have heard the same comments from my classmates who graduated with me. I am now working in an Emergency Department and I feel the program prepared me well for my first job.

UDM is more costly than Wayne, and that is certainly something to factor in. I chose UDM because when I went to their question/answer session for prospective students, I felt like the environment and school fit well with my needs. I think each program has their pros/cons and those are what you need to look into when deciding where to apply.

UDM is more expensive but I think you may find it easier to get in, follows right? I would advise applying to those schools that you like and Follow Up is very important. I also agree withHopeful PA about distance to commute. I wish you well

I hope you are not implying that students who were accepted into UDM's program "bought" their way into PA school. As a recent UDM graduate, I will tell you from experience that UDM's program is quite rigorous and in my first semester we had 8 students who had to leave the program because they could not keep the B+ average required.

I didn't take it as though she was saying people bought their way in. I took it as though sometimes the whole easier to get into/more expensive thing goes hand in hand. Like, someone who perhaps did not get into another school would be more willing to pay the money because they were so driven to attend PA school this year. Even if that doesn't make sense, I'd take it with a grain of salt. I'm in no way qualified to say who gets in and who doesn't.

Despite all that, congrats on graduating from UDM. Honestly, every PA I've ever encountered from there has been highly regarded by their SP. My own FP raves about his PA & UDM's education every chance he gets. Excellent, excellent program in my opinion :)

• 3 months later...

Personally, I just got accepted to WMU's Program for Fall '08. I chose WMU because I like the Kalamazoo area (I am finishing up my undergrad there), also because WMU was the first program to be started in Michigan (with UDM following only I think a few weeks later) so they have been around awhile, also I have always heard good things about their program. I shadowed a PA who graduated from Western and she really enjoyed it as well. Plus I have a couple of friends (one of which I live with) who are in the 1st year of the program right now. Also, the staff are some of the top in their field (Like Dr. Fenn who has been a PA since the beginning of time and is like third in charge of the AAPA, and is overlooking the process of getting the PA name and career in Briton. Also, their pass rate for the PANCE exam is near 100% or has been 100% in the last 6 years, it is accredited also, which is important to look at.

There are some other reasons as well. But really looking at what program you think you could see yourself in is one of the most important things to consider. Also, whether you think you can be comfortable living in the area the school is in. The last thing you want to be dealing with is not liking where you are living while trying to deal with school lol.

Some things about Western's Program (stats if you will) for this past interview session:

# of applicants = 720+

# of interviews given = 140

# of spots offered = 36

PA school is extremely competitive, but I feel I may be preaching to the choir.

I have to say something that has not been said yet, and I think most others who are in PA school or have been would agree with me on this:

If you dont think you are academically cut out for Medical school, you probably are not for PA school either. I am not saying you can't do it. I am just saying that if that is a concern of yours, dont think PA school is a good choice because it is "easier". It is like an accelerated Medical school. Do you learn everything they learn? No. But you have to know most or at least a lot of it. And you only have 1 year of Didactic instead of 2 like in med school. All that is to say is be careful with why you choose one over the other. And I was in your spot 1 year and a half ago.

I decided PA for a number of reasons by to sum it up: it fit what I wanted as a lifestyle, it is still really good pay, it allows me to get out of school and do what I want to do earlier than med school and still be a competent provider, a lot less money going out, and I dont always have to have to answer LOL!! j/k somewhat on that one.

Good luck with your decision, and for me what kept from going PA for awhile I realized was PRIDE. After I realized that for myself it was easy to see that I really did want to be a PA, but I had so much pride built up in going to med school that it was hard for me to let go. Just some wisdom from the not so wise lol.

-Shawn, PA-S

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Michigan has a state law mandating the acceptance of a certain percentage on in-state residents?

I am a Washington resident, but was born in Michigan and all of my family still lives there. I love the state and want to move back!!! I think I could make a good case for consideration to the admissions committee in this regard, but was just curious as to what the state school's policies are regarding resident/non-resident admission.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I am applying to all programs in Michigan.

I have been stearing clear of UDM's program because of cost, however, do many find it easier since they may get less applicants?

Also, does anyone know off top of head whether or not UDM requires GRE? I know that WMU doesn't require it but they do not accept human physiology or pathophysiology from CMU as transfer credit (pretty weird of them) so I probably wont be able to apply to Western Michigan's program. That leaves Eastern, GVSU, Univ of Toledo, and CMU.

Anyone have any insight on Nutrition majors? I am a current Registered Dietitian. I was wondering whether or not to include all of my nutrition major courses under the "other science" tab in CASPA?

I am applying to all programs in Michigan.

I have been stearing clear of UDM's program because of cost, however, do many find it easier since they may get less applicants?

Also, does anyone know off top of head whether or not UDM requires GRE? I know that WMU doesn't require it but they do not accept human physiology or pathophysiology from CMU as transfer credit (pretty weird of them) so I probably wont be able to apply to Western Michigan's program. That leaves Eastern, GVSU, Univ of Toledo, and CMU.

Anyone have any insight on Nutrition majors? I am a current Registered Dietitian. I was wondering whether or not to include all of my nutrition major courses under the "other science" tab in CASPA?

Archived