Treatment of PA's

They pulled the license of a friend of mine for "non-payment of fees" despite the fact that he had the canceled check that they had already cashed and lost record of. he had to take a day off work to bring in the original canceled check. they wouldn't accept a fax and even when they were obviously proven wrong they didn't apologize. they said" well I guess you can go back to work then".

WA is much friendlier and is definitely a top 5 pa state.

I've heard a pretty mixed bag (I'm just a student myself though). The PA's I've met in specialty and Family Med seem pretty happy, they seem fairly well compensated, though I think we might rank a bit lower than WA on the scale.

Like EMED says, it's a pretty NP-dominated world in some areas (Willamette Valley, Oregon Coast come to mind). Certain health groups like Legacy seem to be more friendly than say, Providence. OHSU has a quite a few specialty and outpatient PAs, but none in the ED or on hospitalist service. I think it really depends on the hospital admins, from what I'm told.

Myself, I'm hoping to find work up in WA. Better pay, better PA society and PA laws.

Edited by VictoriaO
grammatical

I've heard a pretty mixed bag (I'm just a student myself though). The PA's I've met in specialty and Family Med seem pretty happy, they seem fairly well compensated, though I think we might rank a bit lower than WA on the scale.

Like EMED says, it's a pretty NP-dominated world in some areas (Willamette Valley, Oregon Coast come to mind). Certain health groups like Legacy seem to be more friendly than say, Providence. OHSU has a quite a few specialty and outpatient PAs, but none in the ED or on hospitalist service. I think it really depends on the hospital admins, from what I'm told.

Myself, I'm hoping to find work up in WA. Better pay, better PA society and PA laws.

If you plan on working in WA, start networking now. I graduated in June, and have been back in WA 2 mos, licensed, certified etc. I have more CVs out than I can recall. to date I have had only 2 interviews. Times are very tough and equally frustrating for a new grad. On the positive side, I did receive my license in about 3 weeks.

• 8 years later...

As this post is nearly 10 years old, I wanted to see how PA's feel now about how they're treated in Oregon, and if anything has changed. From speaking to a variety of people in health care in Oregon, it seems like NPs are still favored. Do you find that to be true? Or are things shifting more the way of the PA now?

I'm taking science pre-requisites and am considering both the PA and NP route (I know... the age old discussion...). It seems like PA school would better equip me with the in depth medical knowledge I need to be a mid-level provider, but if I want to stay in Oregon would my job prospects ultimately be better as an NP?

really depends on specialty. If you want em or surgery, PA is a no brainer. If you want psych or women's health NP is a no brainer. Anything else is a mixed bag.

you will get a better education overall as a PA. You may have more employment opportunities as an NP.

Oregon has improved over the 20 years I have practiced here. My primary job is in WA, but I have had a great per diem job in OR for over 12 years. The Oreon medical board still sucks, and is still not pro-pa, but things have gotten a bit better. We can write schedule 2 now. We can work for a group of docs instead of a single doc. They still send all of our paperwork to our doc and CC us, which is infuriating.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on where you practice. NPs being able to practice independently is a step up for them, but in my current practice both PAs and NPs seem to be employed fairly evenly. Though, when I was looking for jobs in Oregon initially I was not looked at for a ER position because the docs did not want to deal with supervising a PA. 

• 1 year later...

Would someone comment on if there are women's health PA opportunities in Oregon?  A post above said "If you want psych or women's health NP is a no brainer".  I am already a women's health provider of many years experience in another profession.  I am interested in becoming a PA because its hard to find the opportunities that I would like with my existing profession.