Does north carolina require current NCCPA certification to practice

Anyone know if north carolina requires current NCCPA certification to practice, this has become a big issue with the changes in the NCCPA 10 year certification plan. I have heard that some states require NCCPA certification and others do not. Anyone know that North carolinas stance is?

WA state also only requires it for initial licensure.

Then you can drop the "c"

Problem though is that once you drop the "c"... you officially go from having a physician "sponsor" to a physician "supervisor."

Difference... (basically language in the practice act requiring mandatory chart review for PAs without the "C")

The Physician "Supervisor" must sign all documentation generated by PA within 48-72hrs.

Whereas

The Physician "Sponsor" and the PA-C must merely ensure adequate supervision occurs and is entirely up to them to decide what that looks like.

So in my private practice... my medical director and I (and our wives) meet in Seattle or Vancouver BC every 3 months for dinner and a show. Otherwise, I might talk to him via text or cellphone or just walk into his office on the other side of town... maybe once per month if I need something.

In AZ, the C is required for initial license as well, but can be dropped after. BUT, if you ever leave any of the said states after the you drop your -C, then you have to sit for the PANCE again. For me, taking the PANRE every 6 (soon 10) years is much less hassle than trying to regain my -C again...

In AZ, the C is required for initial license as well, but can be dropped after. .

I'm wondering how the PA-C versus PA play out in salaries for the states that don't require certification? Seems to me there should be some sort of incentive related to maintaining certification.

Is there any basic CME requirement for the states that don't require NCCPA certification?

I'm wondering how the PA-C versus PA play out in salaries for the states that don't require certification? Seems to me there should be some sort of incentive related to maintaining certification.

Is there any basic CME requirement for the states that don't require NCCPA certification?

No pay difference in AZ either and state CME requirements are the same.

I think the big incentive (at least for me) is having the freedom and mobility to travel anywhere and get any job I want. I have seen many postings requiring NCCPA certification as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Kitty-Kat...:kiss:

Not here... Pays the same and the required CME is the same regardless of whether or not you keep the "C"...

Hi Contrarian :smile:

IMO practicing medicine without certification is a big liability issue for employers when they chose to hire those who don't meet the national standards of competencies for the job role. Can't imagine many employers would opt to hire a non certified PA when they can get a PA-C at the same salary. I would also think that the Washington Pas would want to have certification requirements that maintain profession standards among the medical community.

Perhaps this certification requirements by some states is done to be consistent for all midlevels? (Once NPs take their initial entry exam, recertification is maintained by continuing education and not by exam)

• 4 years later...

Archived