New grad thinking of moving to NC?

I've been researching places to move around the country and Raleigh came up as a great place for medicine and I keep hearing good things about it. Is NC new grad friendly? California is a tough market right now and I would save a boatload of money on rent :) What do new grads typically get for salary in NC? Thanks for any input!

I've been researching places to move around the country and Raleigh came up as a great place for medicine and I keep hearing good things about it. Is NC new grad friendly? California is a tough market right now and I would save a boatload of money on rent :) What do new grads typically get for salary in NC? Thanks for any input!

I'm not a PA yet, so I can't answer about salary and such, but I can tell you NC is very PA friendly and as far as I have seen in my searches, there are lots of new grad positions available. Also, Duke Hospital is only 30 minutes from Raleigh and they are really new grad friendly, though I imagine it is easier to get in if you are one of their students. I live near Raleigh (and have for 26 of my 34 years)- it is a great area and you are right- the COL is still fairly low. If you decide to give it a shot and have any questions about the area or good areas to live, let me know!

I'm not a PA yet, so I can't answer about salary and such, but I can tell you NC is very PA friendly and as far as I have seen in my searches, there are lots of new grad positions available. Also, Duke Hospital is only 30 minutes from Raleigh and they are really new grad friendly, though I imagine it is easier to get in if you are one of their students. I live near Raleigh (and have for 26 of my 34 years)- it is a great area and you are right- the COL is still fairly low. If you decide to give it a shot and have any questions about the area or good areas to live, let me know!

NC is a very PA friendly state.

Raleigh is booming right now as one of the fastest growing areas in the US. Lots of new grads flock to the area,and of course the Duke PA students rotate through this area so the competition for new grad jobs there is very

competitive. There have also been several new PA programs that recently opened in NC adding to the competition for new grads. Plenty of smaller communities that are easily accessible to larger cities ...and plenty of

underserved rural areas in the state that range from the coast to the mountain areas.

Starting salaries are mostly in the $70s here~ cost of living much,much lower than California and the Northeast.

NC is a very PA friendly state.

Raleigh is booming right now as one of the fastest growing areas in the US. Lots of new grads flock to the area,and of course the Duke PA students rotate through this area so the competition for new grad jobs there is very

competitive. There have also been several new PA programs that recently opened in NC adding to the competition for new grads. Plenty of smaller communities that are easily accessible to larger cities ...and plenty of

underserved rural areas in the state that range from the coast to the mountain areas.

Starting salaries are mostly in the $70s here~ cost of living much,much lower than California and the Northeast.

$78? Whew!! In California minimum for a new grad is more like $85k. We were hoping to save money, but starting in the 70s makes it about even. Still, it looks like a really great place to live. Thanks for the info! I'm still planning on applying, hope I get some interviews :)

There is a huge cost of living difference. Also, $10K difference in salary per year equates to only about a $4-5/hr difference in pay. Probably not much of a difference (if any) after comparing cost of living.

$78? Whew!! In California minimum for a new grad is more like $85k. We were hoping to save money, but starting in the 70s makes it about even. Still, it looks like a really great place to live. Thanks for the info! I'm still planning on applying, hope I get some interviews :)

There is a huge cost of living difference. Also, $10K difference in salary per year equates to only about a $4-5/hr difference in pay. Probably not much of a difference (if any) after comparing cost of living.

You’ve got to look at the fact that you gain about $5,000 in state income tax you would have paid in CA (at a > than 10% rate) and that 10% sales tax you all have, not to mention housing, long commutes, traffic, high insurance rates, enormous car registration costs, etc.

You’ve got to look at the fact that you gain about $5,000 in state income tax you would have paid in CA (at a > than 10% rate) and that 10% sales tax you all have, not to mention housing, long commutes, traffic, high insurance rates, enormous car registration costs, etc.

I am a few weeks away from being a new grad in NC. I have gotten a couple of offers, but have had to do a lot of applying to get them. If you are interested in ortho, pain management or surgery there seem to more new grad jobs in those areas right now. Good luck!

I am a few weeks away from being a new grad in NC. I have gotten a couple of offers, but have had to do a lot of applying to get them. If you are interested in ortho, pain management or surgery there seem to more new grad jobs in those areas right now. Good luck!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Since the Raleigh/Durham area is one of the nicest and most desirable locations in the state, it's likely a harder place for an out of state candidate without local ties to find a good job.  You could apply this as a general rule of thumb to any state and it's nicest, most well known locations.  

My advice is to apply to any jobs that interest you, wait to see how much interest you generate as a candidate, and then either start with interviews or re-calibrate your plan on where you want to be.  

Here are some options for physician assistants in North Carolina: http://www.hospitalrecruiting.com/jobs/Physician-Assistant-Jobs/North-Carolina/

• 2 years later...

Hello, I thought I would try to revive this thread because I have a similar question. I'm going to PA school in Texas but my significant other is from North Carolina and attending school there. I plan to move to the triangle area, though I'm open to some more rural locations, and apply to jobs in NC not in TX once I graduate. It's been a couple years since people commented on this thread, does anyone have any tips, advice, or experience to share?

Archived