Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hello! Thank you so much for this forum. I have found it most useful when navigating the PA application process. I just have one question that I would like to contribute to the group: What is your thought on the application essay when reapplying through CASPA. I really liked my original essay. Do you think it is important to rewrite my essay and apply with a new personal statement? Or do you think it would be OK to keep my old premise with minor edits. I'm not sure the significance of our personal statements in the overall application process.

@ajohns734 Thank you for your patience as I was out on maternity leave and then the holiday. I would recommend seeking advice from the programs that did not offer an interview to see what improvements they would like to see. I usually focus first on the performance in the prerequisites and then recommend other ways one can enhance their application outside of the prerequisites. Sometimes graduate courses in a relevant topic (i.e. biology, genetics, physiology) are good things to consider. Typically, those type of courses are good preparatory classes. I hope this helps!

Hi, I had a question on what path I should take. I have a BA in Psychology and due to some unfortunate events, I came out with a cumulative GPA of 3.17. I know this isn't very competitive and I want to boost my application. If I am unsuccessful in being accepted into a program this year, I planned on taking some more classes. I thought of getting a BS in Biology since I am only 7 classes short, but then I wondered if taking graduate level courses (without working toward a degree) would have more weight. Do you have any opinion on which path I should take? Would a second undergraduate degree or a handful of graduate level courses be more competitive? Thanks for your input!

PS- My GRE scores are decent and I have a competitive amount of healthcare experience.

@heath33 Thank you for your patience as I was out on maternity leave and then the holiday. First on the prerequisite courses to see if you need to retake at least some of the biology and chemistry requirements. We usually break down biology and chemistry GPAs further to ensure the applicant has at least a 3.2 or higher in those requirements for our programs. When we look back at the performance in our prerequisites for some students, good predictors of success would be performance in A&P, Micro, Organics and Biochemistry (your upperlevel requirements). I hope this helps!

PA Admissions Director,

I am a first year applicant and I have received several rejection letters and no interviews at this point. I feel like my Science GPA is what is keeping me from being accepted. I am an undergraduate with a GPA of 3.5 and a science GPA of 3.0. I have around 2000 hours working as a phlebotomist. I have shadowed one PA for about 100 hours, a MD for about 50 and a Dentist for 50. I would really like to start preparing my application to be more competitive for next cycle, what suggestions do you have for me at this point?

Also what classes would you recommend taking to raise my Science GPA?

@eba22 Thank you for your patience as I was out on maternity leave and then the holiday. I think your masters will help your application quite a bit. You're over that "threshold" of an overall GPA of a 3.0 so you hopefully will make the cut off for programs that have a hard cutoff of 3.0. We assess the post bacc and graduate work, where it was completed, the number of hours and the level of difficulty. Your 36 hours of graduate work may weigh heavier than someone who did the same amount of work at a cc for example. However, that philosophy may vary from program to program. I always say make sure your prereq performance is also strong (at or exceeding the desired GPA). Hope this helps!

PA Admissions Director, 

Hello, my undergrad GPA isn't strong but I received my Masters in Biomedical Sciences, all science courses with a perfect GPA. Do you think my low (3.18 overall) GPA for undergrad will effect my chances of getting in? 

Thank you

@aekondek Thank you for your patience as I was out on maternity leave and then the holiday. I usually recommend that students with a small number of hours consider taking a "gap" or "glide" year off before applying. This time away from school allows for maturity, but also a better understanding of the real world, work expectations and extra time to better your communication skills as a healthcare worker. I think an application looks 10 times better with quality health care. It shows a much more well-rounded and "ready" applicant. Hope this helps!

This was very helpful. I am currently a junior at Virginia Tech hoping to apply this summer. I have spent so much time working to get good grades that my hours are not where they should be. I have a 3.86 GPA, I have about 70 hours of shadowing experience as well as many volunteer hours at a hospital from my hometown. However, I will only have about 400 ours HCE as a CNA by the time I apply. Do you think this is enough to get me into a program? I really would love to get in right out of undergrad because this has been my dream job for so long that I just want to get started. 

@123pa321 Thank you for your patience as I was out on maternity leave and then the holiday. There is no difference to be honest. It's just the way the universities name the degree. For example, completion of our PA program results in a Master's of Medical Science (MMS) in PA studies...it's similar to how universities name undergrad programs. Like one school may name their Kinesiology program "Applied Exercise Science." Same thing, just a different name. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Quick question!  Can someone please explain the difference between MPAS, MMSc and MHS? 

@Irene101 Thank you for your patience as I was out on maternity leave then the holiday. That's an unfortunate situation to be in because I know you don't want to keep bugging them and be perceived as nagging. I would call back and tell them you haven't received the decision yet. We have to be very careful about sharing admissions statuses over the phone due to FERPA violations so that's why they probably are telling you they can't tell you over the phone. I hope this helps.

Hi,
I have a question. October 14th I emailed my admission counselor at a school that I applied to asking about my application status. She mentioned that a decision was made and I should be hearing from the university within the next week... Here we are almost 3 weeks later and I still have not heard anything. Today I called the school and asked about my application. They had mentioned a decision was made however she could not tell me what it was. She then went on and mentioned if I don't hear back by next week to contact my admissions counselor again. I went on a limb and asked if I would be receiving my decision in the mail (a rejection) or an email (wait list/ interview) she then said most likely by email. Can all staff see the decision or are they just saying they can't just to say it?

@rosslyn Thank you for your patience as I was out on maternity leave then the holiday. A minor is not something that will make or break your application, however, I'm not going to discourage you from pursuing something that you're interested in. If you have a interest in mental health it will probably be a strong background going into PA school. You may be surprised what will come of it should you do it. Hope this helps!

Hello,

I just have a quick question (for now, anyway). I am currently halfway through earning my AA degree and am setting my sights on earning a pre-clinical health sciences BA. I am also considering minoring in cognitive science, but my husband and many people say that minoring is a waste of time because nobody looks at your minor. Is this true when applying to PA school? I'm interested in psychiatry PA and that is my motivation for the minor.

• Upvote 1

@longhornalum Thank you for your patience. Typically a strong GRE isn't always going to overshadow a weaker performance in prerequisites. If those Cs were in a lot of the Biology and Chemistry requirements you may want to consider retaking them. In particular, the upper level science requirements. If you've received Cs in courses that are not really relevant (i.e. basket weaving ;)) you may want to rethink retaking them. Hope this helps!

@mambosauce. Thank you for your patience. The answer to that will vary so much from program to program. Some programs, like ours, interviews a small number of people for our 40 seats. However, the exact opposite of that may be that a program invites 100 people in at a time and interviews them...a bigger selection people. We have a fairly high rate percentage (probably around 70%) of accepting people after interviews but we also interview a smaller number of applicants. 

@EMT8194 Thank you for your patience. I would hope they would consider the post bacc work that you will have completed. That would be beneficial to your application for sure. If you do well in the post bacc program, I think it would be worth a shot applying. You have quality hours and if the GRE is good I think you would be a fit for one program. Hope this helps.

@rtaylor Thank you for your question and patience. I would move on to taking higher classes. Our program requires Chem II, Org I and II and Biochemistry..so we would require you to take higher classes. I see a lot of programs requiring more than just one chemistry course. I always recommend that the upper level classes like Org 1 and 2 and Biochem be taken at a 4 year institution if possible. I think it's better preparation. Hope this helps.

@lovepink896 Thank you for your questions and patience. I would make sure to briefly mention the reason for the withdrawal in your personal statement. You do not need to make your whole statement about that one semester, but as an admissions committee if you don't mention the small hiccup it can lead to assumptions. Again, make the mention a brief one and then move on to how you've prepared yourself for PA school. Hope this helps.

Hello Paadmissions!

Thank you so much for this thread, it is very helpful. I plan on applying to PA school very soon and I have a couple questions. The program I am interested seems to lean towards a higher gpa rather than HCE experience (even though HCE experience is recommended/preferred). Anyways.The school that I am applying to does not require a bachelors degree, so you can apply as long as you have the pre reqs finished with 90 semester hours. I am a junior and planning on applying for the 2016 cycle. My overall GPA so far is a 3.68, Science GPA is 3.55, non-science GPA 4.00. I would say my GRE score is average or slightly above average. I have a couple hundred hours of HCE, shadowing, and volunteer each. 

However, during my the first semester of my sophomore year I was going through a hard time with my motivation, I had no idea what I wanted to do and I was completely burnt out. I ended up withdrawing from the whole semester. I always knew that I wanted to do something medical... but I ended up going the research route and I very much disliked it. I took that time to research what I really wanted to do. I researched each medical profession and realized that a physician assistant is something that sounds perfect and after I shadowed a few PAs I realized that it is perfect for me. Anyways , my main question is, does a withdrawal from the semester look bad? I mean it was in my early years of undergrad and I had no idea what I wanted to do. Once I figured it out I got my act together and made straight A's for three semesters after. I know that this semester withdrawal won't look good but hopefully it wont kill my chances right? As long as I explain to them that being a PA is my dream career and that I fit into the program, then that'll help me get in right? Anyways sorry for the long response. Thank you for spending time with this thread!

@mambosauce I've never really heard our committee make a comment about an applicant saying either or. However, I think it would be more appropriate to answer along the lines of "Physician Assistants see many stressors such as..."  I would probably avoid putting any type of "we" or "they" in there. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Going onto a physician assistant interview would it be okay to say "we" versus "they" when we would be asked about PA associated topics. For example, what kind of stressors do you see as a physician assistant? As a physician assistant we (not they to embody the role) see many stressors such as.....

I just kind of like to have a personal touch on many different factors.

Thanks you

@sy0121 Thanks for your questions. I hate to say that some programs may see your dismissal as a red flag. Some programs, like ours, do not allow students who have been dismissed from another PA program to be admitted. I would check policies carefully before applying to further programs. Hope this helps and best wishes. 

Hello,

I was dismissed academically from a program, but only missed the mark by a small amount. I want nothing more than to be a pa. I have reapplied to different schools (there is no probation period or deceleration) and have had two interviews. One interview led to a rejection and I am still waiting on the other. In your opinion, is this going to be something that admissions will see and automatically dismiss my application? I do not want to give up, but I feel like there is a "black flag" on my application. My undergraduate stats are good (I was previously accepted into 2 programs) and in the program I was in I had all A's & B's with one C+ . I'm not sure if I should keep applying or if I should give up on my dream. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated from you! 

Thank you! 

@asha09 Thank you for your questions. 

1. Since we don't have a supplemental application I'm taking a stab at this question. Typically, supp. apps are more specific towards the program. I imagine that some statements are difficult to not regurgitate but make sure you research the school and program so that you show why you would be a good fit for that program and possibly that region of the country.

2. I suggest rewriting the personal statement to reflect how you've improved your application from last year to this year. I don't see anything wrong with keeping the bulk of the statement along the same lines.

3. As an admissions director, I prefer email communication with applicants regarding how to make improvements to the application. Don't be offended if they don't offer feedback. I've heard of a few programs that do not provide this information. Instead, these programs may hold information sessions to talk about ways to improve applications.

4.  I would assume that most committees would look above and beyond their requirements to see how applicants performed in courses like Biochemistry, etc. I think our committee would prefer to see better performance in the organics and biochemistry courses. However, we require these classes, so keep in mind if chem 1 is required you'll want to do well in it. 

5. Regarding cc vs. 4-year schools for prereqs..I don't want to speak on behalf of other programs so I'm not sure how true it is that they care where you take your courses. I would probably take their word for it. 

Good question about the academic LOR. What we look for in an academic LOR is a testament from preferably a chemistry or biology professor or advisor who knows your academic capability in these courses. If the program you're applying to wants an academic reference, simply ask them if the clinical academic reference would be acceptable. I think our program would be ok with it, but if you're taking any classes in the classroom, I would recommend getting to know someone well enough that they can write you a letter (if possible).

Hope this helps!

First and foremost, Thank you @paadmissions for starting this thread and replying to the many posts; they have ALL been very helpful.

I, myself, have a few questions:

1) How much stock is put into the supplemental application? What does the supplemental represent to the admissions committee? What is the best way to tackle this without regurgitating what is in your personal statement or sounding as if you are repeating what is on the program's website about "Why our insert school here...?"

2) If/when reapplying, would you suggest writing an entirely new personal statement (even if it has been professionally proofed and received positive feedback)?

3) When and what is the most appropriate way to follow-up with a program/admissions committee regarding application status and reasons for being waitlisted or denied?

4) As a cumulative GPA is difficult to improve without grade replacement, what would you recommend to show strong academic performance or improvement? Also, a sort of follow-up to a question asked by Soal2006...Will adcomms look at grades for science courses beyond the prerequisite courses? Some programs only require Gen Chem whereas another will require BioChem. Say an applicant received a C in Gen Chem, but an A in BioChem or vice versa......

5) Online courses and community college courses: Many programs state they don't weigh where the courses were completed or the format as long as they are equivalent/meet the prerequisite requirements (say online lecture on-campus lab), but how true is this? Additionally, if an applicant takes mostly online courses and does not necessarily interact with faculty, what would you recommend in acquiring an academic reference? They may be able to say that the applicant received good grades, but not necessarily comment on performance, punctuality, etc. What is the admissions committee looking for in an academic reference (what should the instructor speak to)? Would a "clinical educator" be acceptable as an academic reference? For example, my ambulance service does a lot of critical care education; both classroom and lab. However, it is not at a school or by a "school educator," but by professionals (i.e. flight paramedics, clinical directors, MDs, etc.).  There are no tests or grades per se, but there is a way to gauge academic performance through simulations and participation.Though, I read your particular institution requires an academic reference, for those that don't, would you still recommend acquiring one?

It is hard to put this in a personal statement. I would say this quality is evaluated more in the interview than on paper. Sometimes a personal statement can come across as very arrogant (very rare), but it happens. Maybe talking briefly about any teaching moments you may have experienced in your work place and how you reacted or took that feedback. Hopefully, if ever in this type of situation it improved you as a professional.

@paadmissions- "be willing to take direction and advice from faculty and preceptors, and be someone who has demonstrated they will be a compassionate provider. If you are this type of person and can demonstrate this through the interview process you will be in a good spot."   

How can one demonstrate this prior to the interview? Any keywords to put into the personal statement (which is so limiting as it is, is it really important to sneak this in-I thought we were trying to demonstrate that we have a certain level of knowledge and skills)?

@beniimo Thanks for your question. I recommend submitting a different statement, but I think it's ok keeping the bulk of the statement along the same lines. I like to see applicants make mention how they think they've improved themselves and application from one cycle to the next. I would be sure to slide that in somewhere. Hope this helps. 

I just have a question a out what you think my chances are... I have a 3.5 overall, but only a 3.3 science GPA. I'm a junior English major, planning on applying this summer before my senior year. Due to screwed up registration, I still have to take A&P I and II my senior year. I have 1000 hours volunteering with hospice, and around 100 volunteering in the athletic training room with injured athletes, and 200 ish working as a resident care assistant, which is ongoing. I also have 800 hours volunteering with a crisis hotline, and have done volunteer work elsewhere, as well. I also have pretty solid GRE scores. How do you think my chances are, with such a low GPA?

Hello, paadmissions,

I just have a couple quick questions:

1. Would experience as a dialysis technician likely be viewed favorably? I would like to get hospital experience as a PCT, but those positions are pretty competitive in my area. I currently work as an EMT for a convalescent care company and I can't imagine that this experience would be considered very helpful to my development or to my applicant profile.

2. Do I need to attend a Special Masters program to have a realistic chance of acceptance at a PA school? 

My total UG GPA, including a couple community college courses and the averages of repeated courses, is 3.17.  The GPA of my prereq courses is about 3.35. The small liberal arts school I went to is quite rigorous, but not well known outside the state.

I'm not picky where I end up--pride went out the window in undergrad--I just want to be able to provide care at the PA level.

Thanks

Dear PA Admissions Director,

I am currently in the process of interviewing for Cycle 2015-2016. I have interviewed at several programs and have one more approaching!

At a couple interview sessions I have attended, interviewers have asked me about which schools I applied to and whether I have heard back from them yet. I would love to get your take on how to field this question. More specifically: 1) should we list out every single school we applied to? This can be difficult if it's more than 12 and you don't want to make you answer seem endless. 2) Are we obligated to say exactly what has transpired with each positive feedback (e.g. I interviewed at X's program and was accepted or wait-listed or rejected)? 3) Do those details greatly impact the Admission's decision? And if you could elaborate on how it would impact their decision that would be much appreciated! For instance, does the name of the schools that the interviewee mentions or how many acceptances or wait lists (or rejections) the interviewee has affect the interviewer's perception of the interviewee? It seems like it would at least affect some of the judgement and I would be very grateful for advice to interviewees about it!

Thank you in advanced for your response! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PA Admissions Director!

I am reapplying to PA school for a third time. 

My stats:

Undergrad School: UCSB undergrad

Post-Baccalaureate School: CSUN

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.35

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.12

Cumulative Post-Bacc GPA: 3.64

Science Post-Bacc GPA:  3.57

1st GRE: V150, Q152, W4.0

Direct Patient Care: 

Ophthalmic Tech = 4,500 hours

Ophthalmic Assistant = 2,000 hours

Medical Assistant (Cardiology)= 420 hours

Surgical Coordinator= 500 hours 

+ 20 hours shadowing PA in Family Med/Urgent Care

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

Clinical Research Coordinator= 200 hours

Cancer Undergrad Research = 60 hours

Children's Camp Counselor (for chronic illnesses) = 320

Foodbanks, bone marrow drives, etc... 10 hours

Founded a Pre-Health club, served as VP for 2 years 

Interview Invites: 4 this year, only wait listed at one, rejected from others

I realize part of my issue may be the interview, so I am getting a coach for next year. I am also taking on a new volunteer role at a free clinic in health education (4 hours/week), shadowing another PA for about 20 hours, and taking courses in Spanish.

I am writing to ask these two questions:

1. Should I retake the GRE? 

2. Would an international medical mission improve my chances significantly? I would opt for mexico or honduras, as they would be more affordable for me. 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

Hi PA Admissions Director!

Hello! My junior year of college I was placed on disciplinary probation for one year due to a physical altercation with an ex-boyfriend. Even though he was arrested and I had to go to the hospital, I was still in trouble with the university for fighting. This is NOT included on my official academic transcript. CASPA did not ask about disciplinary actions from undergrad, but I am applying to a school that does ask in a supplemental application. Do I still need to disclose this since it is not on my official academic transcript? Any thoughts or personal experiences are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Hi paadmisions, 

I have a few questions that I would be immensely appreciative if you could help out with!

1. I recently graduated as a History major and took many of my prerequisites during my undergrad. I had a few hiccups in my prerequisite courses. I received a C and C+ in two quarters of general chemistry, a C in molecular biology, C- in Calculus, and a C+ in Psychology 1 (I had a load close to 26 units that quarter). Since then I have gotten all A's and B's since my last C junior year. I have been finishing up my pre reqs at a local Community College since it is more economical, and have received A's in Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Sociology, Medical Terminology. Will this upward trend help offset my earlier struggles? I look back and know that I could have done much better, but was not mature academically. My overall gpa is 3.5 and SGPA is 3.2. 

2. Would it be worth while to retake chemistry at my CC? And would getting A's at a CC be looked at less competitively, especially since my I got C's during my undergrad? And would admission committees care if you did your undergrad at a highly ranked university?

3. Finally, I have been working as a Medical Scribe for my HCE and think it has been a great experience and have learned a lot about a variety disciplines of medicine since my boss is a Family Practitioner who sees just about everything. He also allows me to interview patients by myself before he gets into rooms to start filling in the EMR. Do you think this would be an acceptable form of health care experience? 

Thank you so much for your time in answering mine and everyone else's questions, this thread has been incredibly helpful!