Ask a PA Admissions Director

@tuckreal From the opinion of our faculty as long as the problem is not serious you should allow the physician to carry on his/her plan. More serious issues you could take the risk of being fired should you not follow through with the plan. Should you still disagree you can withdraw yourself from participating, but again you run the risk of termination. Almost like being stuck between a rock and a hard place, but hopefully these situations are minimal and you will have to rely on your training and judgement to make the right decision.

Thank you for taking our questions. I had one in regards to health care experience. I have between 3000-4000 hrs of volunteer work as a medical assistant for a primary care provider. I basically did everything that a paid medical assistant does except for the fact that I volunteered. I interacted with patients on a daily basis checking their weight, vitals, etc. I also have a recommendation letter from the doctor I worked with attesting to all my job responsibilities with patients. In addition, I have 400+ hours as a medical scribe and I am currently still working as a medical scribe in the ER. Would this health care experience be considered competitive despite the fact that most of my hours came from volunteer hours? How would these hours be weighed against someone who had the same experience but were paid as a medical assistant?

Hi, thank you so much for answering these questions as they have been incredibly helpful. It would be greatly appreciated if you can answer mine as well. I am currently a senior and will get my bachelor's next may. I am applying to PA school this summer but have not submitted my application yet because I am not sure I am competitive enough. My GPR is around a 3.2. As of now I do not have any HCE but I am shadowing a PA this summer. I have non-healthcare-related volunteer hours and have also been an officer in a couple of organizations that I am in. I will be Vice President for one of the organizations this coming year. My GRE score is over 300. Do you think I should apply this summer or wait a year to get more HCE and apply next year?

@risktaker For our program we would consider the medical assisting hours competitive especially since the physician verified your work. Make sure you're not combining any administrative duties in those hours because that is not what any program is looking for. However, I would recommend you contact the programs in which you plan to apply. Now that you're working as a scribe it will probably make your application more competitive as long as you're meeting the academic selection factors for each particular program. I wish you the best.

@hanh.dinh Thanks for your question. I would recommend you apply next cycle because you are lacking HCE. I think your academic record would be competitive, but if you were to apply to our program and we had another applicant with the same academic profile but more hours, the other person would be more competitive. Gaining these hours will help you understand the role of the PA better and demonstrate to most committees that you're taking the time to see what you're getting into....Remember, applying to and being prepared for PA school is a marathon not a sprint :)

I do commend your leadership roles as it will be beneficial in PA school and working within a team. Leadership is something many programs like to see!

Thank you for starting this thread and answering all of our questions! What a great resource!

My question is in regards to the CV/resume that I am updating. I was wondering if you think I should include my previous non-healthcare work experiences in addition to my current position as a CNA. I originally graduated with a business degree and worked in the marketing/advertising industry for 4 years post graduation. In a few of the positions, I functioned in a leadership role so I was thinking that they should stay.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I'm learning a lot so far.

I'm a NICU RD and am planning to apply to PA school. I'm a new RD and am planning on working for at least another year or so while I complete my prerequisites. I've actually taken most of the prerequisite courses, but many of the schools I'm planning on applying to require the courses be taken within 7 years and by the time I apply, it will have been a longer period of time. My question is this: I'm a full time RD so I was planning on taking the majority of my courses through distance education. The sciences with labs, I'll obviously take on campus, but courses like genetics, psychology, stats, microbiology (I haven't seen a lab required at the schools I've researched so far), etc, I'd like to take online. Do you think this will hurt my chances by not being a 'traditional' class?

Thank you again!

I had been accepted to a PA program, but had to decline due to unexpected financial concerns. This was 2 years ago. I plan to reapply in the next few weeks. Do you advise mentioning this in the narrative, and is so, any suggestions on where to start.

Thanks

@dcmatobe I'm happy you asked this question. I always recommend taking as many prerequisites in the classroom. We feel its better preparation for PA school and nothing really can replace an actual classroom experience. While there are quality online courses out there, it's one thing to get into PA school, but another thing to be prepared to do well in PA school, graduate, pass the PANCE and be a quality provider. I think most programs would echo this thought so I would encourage you to take as many courses in the classroom as possible!

@neesy Thank you for your question. Remember life gets in the way sometimes, most programs understand that, and I don't think it will hurt your application to mention these reasons. That being said, keep your explanation brief and don't make your personal statement all about why you didn't accept the offer. It's important to reflect on the circumstance, and in my opinion it's good to see someone delay PA school because they're not ready (due to different reasons) than take the seat of someone else who is qualified and ready to enter. There's nothing wrong with your decision, but be sure your focus is more towards your desire and understanding of the role of the PA. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for answering my question. I have just one more question if you don't mind. I am pretty set on what area of medicine I'd like to work in. I've always loved the NICU and have every intention of doing everything possible (if/when I get into PA school and graduate) of getting a job as a NICU PA and acquiring experiences in the NICU as a student and possibly doing a post grad residency. If I mention something along these lines in my personal statement, do you think that will reflect poorly on me? Do adcoms generally like to see applicants that are more open minded? It's not that I don't like other areas, because having spent a pretty decent amount of time on various floors in hospitals, I know that I like other areas, I just enjoy the NICU more. Thanks again!

Hi paasmissions, you're amazing and thank you for creating this thread and for your time.

I have a few questions of my own as I'm kind of in a bind and debating if I should even bother applying this year. I performed poorly in my undergrad 10+ years ago (poor work ethic & mixed priorities) but now that I've matured and grown over the past 10 years I've been a stellar student and employee. I'm not a traditional applicant and worked as an cost savings consultant and business executive for nearly 8 years prior to pursuing my PA pathway.

My academic history is as follows:

- 2.33 undergrad (CASPA)

- 3.69 MBA

- 4.0 post bach (39 units all science pre-reqs).

- last 60 units GPA is a 3.96

- 3.56 science GPA (BCP 3.83)

- Cum GPA 2.93.

I left my job as an executive and I'm currently working as an ER Tech, working 50+ hours a week and I'm almost at 500+ hours. I just applied to a couple schools but I feel like I'm wasting my time because of their competative stats. I've been trying to get into more classes to raise my GPA by taking classes like nutrition and retaking classes from 10 years ago (need 15 more units with a 4.0 to raise my CASPA GPA to a 3.0) but I'm on the waitlist to be on the waitlist at 3 different schools and I'm out of funds to pay for private institutions.

How would you view an applicant in my position? What advice do you recommend for me as for applying this cycle?

Some other info is:

Certs - EMT-B, Phlebotomy, 12 Lead EKG Tech, ACLS, PALS, NRP, CPR Instructor

Shadowing - 120 hrs ER/Trauma, 230 hrs ER/Fast Track, 120 hrs ER/Ortho, 60 hrs Family Practice (PA/DO students @ a PA school's clinic)

Community Service - 800 total hours over 14 years.

Awards - Got some from my undergrad and from every company I worked at except my most recent as I just started there.

3 LORs - 1 from a DO I shadowed, 1 from a professor, 1 from the director of the ER who is a RN (my boss)

Thanks in advance for your help!

@dcmpatobe From our standpoint, I don't think it would ever hurt your application for you to mention that your passion lies within the NICU. I would recommend embracing the idea that you'll be trained to treat your patients from a primary care stand point (many programs are primary care driven) and talk about how that may improve your ability to treat and educate the families of the infants you're treating.

@timon I commend your work thus far to improve your status as an applicant. Based on what you've provided for your GPAs you're a solid candidate in my opinion. As I mentioned in my initial post, I think you've proven your ability to succeed academically by taking a recent 39 hours of science courses and having a strong performance in those classes. You've also demonstrated that you can be successful in a graduate program, which can sometimes, not always, put you in a different category than some applicants. 4 questions (and you can answer these in a private message if you'd like):

- Did you take your science courses at the community college level?

- Are the schools you're applying to requiring the GRE? If they put a lot of emphasis on the GRE and you're below their recommendations/requirements that could be a factor.

-Also, have you interviewed with the schools that you're wait listed on? Sometimes, no matter how good you look on paper, an interview can speak a lot about whether a student is a good fit for the program, how their interview stacked up versus the other applicants who interviewed that day, etc.

- Did you apply early? I would also recommend you get your application in early. At least from our standpoint, applicants are selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you applied early, you can disregard this advice.

Finally, I hate to say it, but sometimes good, solid applicants are turned away based on the sheer number of people applying to programs each year. It's nearly impossible for every program to have a perfect selection process in place and programs miss out on good students. Unfortunately, there's not a formula that can help us pick the right class everytime. I don't think a program would have a problem with you asking how you can improve your status as an applicant.

PS- Speaking from a private school perspective...search for scholarships to make private programs an option..we're just as good ;)

Hi!I am a 3rd yr. P.A. student from Mountain State University. I am currently on my second rotation of 9 clinical rotations, 4 weeks each. I have completed 2 years of didactic phase. I went into the program without a bachelor's degree, and the program itself is a Master's program. Our main campus lost its accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission, however, our P.A. program remains accredited by the ARC-PA until 2017. Our director has informed us of a possible "teach-out," yet other sources have stated that the HLC is unlikely to grant it. If a teach-out isn't granted, any ideas on what I should do? I know that most programs, if not all, do not except transfer students. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!!Britt Addair

@brittaddair...My first response is one of sympathy that this has happened to you and your classmates. I feel for you guys...I with have to be honest and admit I don't know what advice to give you. Our program, and probably the majority of programs, would require you to complete all the curricular components of their program should you seek out another program to finish. You're correct in saying that transfer credit is not accepted at most programs. The best and probably only advice I can give you is to speak with your program director about the direction of the program. Hopefully, he or she has probably been in contact with the ARC-PA to see what the next steps need to be. I'm sure your PD and principal faculty as just as concerned with your next steps as they are with their future. Again, very sorry to hear of this unfortunate circumstance and wish you all the best.

Dear Paadmissions,

Thank you very much for all of your posts, reading them has been very helpful. I am entering senior year at New York University and have a gpa of 3.94 and a science gpa is a 3.97. I only have 130 hours of volunteer HCE and 20 hours of PA shadowing. I am going to Belize for a month to work full time in a clinic and will gain at least 150 more HCE hours before the end of the summer. I will be submitting my CASPA application in a day or two (mid July) and I will also continue volunteering at a hospital starting in the fall. Do you think I would be considered for admission despite my small amount of HCE experience? Thank you!

@tmscto Thank you for your question. I'm hesitant to say that you'll be competitive for programs that require hours. For example, for our program you can still be in the process of completing your hours while you're making application to our program. We have accepted students who are deficient in hours as long as they have a plan in place to complete them by July 15th of the year they're planning to enter. That being said, it all depends on the quality of the hours you've already completed. Academically you're an awesome student, but it's important to demonstrate to admissions committees that you've taken the time to seek out valuable/quality HCE. I'm not one to give false hope to applicants, so I can't say with 100% certainty that you'll be more competitive with someone else who has the same academic profile and more hours. Something to think about...ps- It never hurts to delay a year if you need the hours :) Best wishes.

@paasmissions

Thank you for answering my questions. Your advices were great. There're couple more questions :).

1st. I'm still a bit confused about HCE (health care experiences) and Direct Patient Care. In my case, I work in health care as a medical technologist (lab personel) but I don't have direct contact with patients. Do I need to worry about that?? Can you clarify please?? I can go emt/blood drawer route if the schools require (which take a lot of times)

2nd. You asked someobody if they took their classes at community college or 4 year university. Does that matter??? I'm taking classes at community college atm because it's close to home. I can take those classes at university. My hospital pay for my tuition so money is not an issue here.

Your answer will save me a lot of valuable times. Thanks again for doing this.

I am an undergraduate student, a junior specifically. I have been deciding/battling with the big question: What is it that I want to do with my life? After going on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua, and studying abroad in Honduras this past summer, I have no doubt in my mind that I want a job where I can change the world, particularly in medicine. I've always wanted a job where traveling was a component in the career along with humanitarian efforts. I have been debating between Physician Assistant school as well as becoming a doctor, but the answer isn't clear to me yet.

I met one girl who will be attending medical school this upcoming Fall, and she told me how there was a residency called Preventive Medicine. I was immediately interested. She mentioned it briefly, but I began to do further research on my own and had some unanswered questions.

Being a student who is debating between two professions, I want to try and make the right choice. What are the job opportunities like for Preventive Medicine physicians? Is there such a thing as preventive medicine physician assistants? I would love to teach in academia, research, help organize NGOs/support NGOs, and volunteer for extended periods of time outside of the country. Would this be possible as a physician assistant? If I did a combined dual degree program with a Masters in Public Health along with a Physician Assistant degree, would I be able to do the same type of work? The reason I ask is because if there is an alternate, shorter route than going to medical school to do what I love, but faster, I would take that shorter route!

@kth5195 I hope this can help clarify. From our program's standpoint we would count the med tech hours. Lab medicine is a component of our curriculum and we feel that type of experience is helpful. However, if you are able to get certified as a phlebotomist it would help your chances to be more competitive, give you a better chance to work alongside PAs and feel more comfortable working with patients prior to PA school. It all depends on what program you're considering as to whether or not they will accept your med tech hours.

In regards to your cc question, in our opinion it does matter where applicants complete their prerequisites. Maybe not so much in courses like algebra, stats, medical terminology, or psychology. These classes are typically within a college transfer program, meaning they transfer into a 4 year institution at the same level. We strongly encourage all biology and chemistry requirements be taken at a 4 year institution because you're usually going to find that the course number is higher, which means the curriculum tends to be a little more challenging. The more challenged you are prior to PA school the better prepared we think you'll be to handle the rigorous coursework once enrolled. Getting into PA school is one thing, but being prepared to be successful is another. I hope this helps clarify things. Please respond if you have further questions :)

@perplexed Thank you for your question and please don't feel like you're alone. There are many students trying to figure out the same thing and I hope my feedback in regards to medical school vs. PA school can be helpful.

- The first and foremost thing is to take your time to make this decision. I've seen students in both instances rush into making a decision to enter, when their heart really isn't set on being a PA or MD. It not only can make life difficult, but it takes the place of others who may have had a different mindset.

-Take time to shadow PAs and physicians in the area of medicine that interest you. Preventive medicine encompasses many different fields depending on how you look at it, and it's best to seek out ways to see all aspects of the field.

- From our program's standpoint, we don't have many graduates who have gone into a residency program, but the opportunities are there once out of PA school. The beauty of being a PA is that you're trained to effectively work and treat patients in all areas of medicine. Believe or not, no matter how passionate you are about being in one particular field, you may find yourself wanting to practice in other fields later on. As a PA you have the flexibility to do that. As a physician, you would be specialized and if you wanted to change fields a residency is required.

I do think your idea of considering a dual MPH and PA program would be fitting for someone like you. You would definitely make yourself more marketable if you wanted to teach (one of the first courses in PA school I can think of that would be right your alley is Health Promotion/Disease Prevention [HPDP]), do research or have the ability to make an impact at a local level with a public health background. I do think your passion for prevention is consistent with the primary care focus of many PA programs..so PA school may be the route to go.

Like I said, shadowing is the best route for you to consider so you can see the differences in how physicians and PAs interact within a clinical setting. You may find other reasons, other than PA school just being a shorter route to be a provider, that the PA profession is a better fit for you..just take your time making that decision. I hope this helps and respond if you have any further questions.