529 replies to this topic

#521 Dono

Dono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

Where can you find a Rolex or other "high end" for about 300 bucks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

By that price range, I mean the Rolex price range. I personally love steinhart watches for 300-400 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IG: @ChristopherDono

#522 Joelseff

Joelseff

Primary Care PA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:26 AM

By that price range, I mean the Rolex price range. I personally love steinhart watches for 300-400 range.

Oh ok I hear ya. I thought you were asking GMOTM the question. Steinharts are nice but some frown on their derivative styling. Almost all their lines are homages. I personally like them. And for the price you get a solid watch and movement (Usually ETA). I like the ocean one bronzo.

MS, PA-C
Primary Care Medicine

#523 Dono

Dono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:35 AM

Oh ok I hear ya. Steinharts are nice but some frown on their derivative styling. Almost all their lines are homages. I personally like them. And for the price you get a solid watch and movement (Usually ETA). I like the ocean one bronzo

I agree with the same derivative styling but many companies share the same characteristics. Rolex was not the first diver watch.

IG: @ChristopherDono

#524 GetMeOuttaThisMess

GetMeOuttaThisMess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:39 AM

Where can you find a Rolex or other "high end" for about 300 bucks?

A real one that is...

Inside my trench coat hanging from a metal bar that extends when I open it to flash my wares.
  • Joelseff likes this

#525 Joelseff

Joelseff

Primary Care PA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:43 AM

I agree with the same derivative styling but many companies share the same characteristics. Rolex was not the first diver watch.

No they were not but the submariner is arguably THE quintessential dive watch. Hence all the homages. Rolex even homages it in their Tudor Black Bay line lol.

MS, PA-C
Primary Care Medicine

#526 Joelseff

Joelseff

Primary Care PA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:48 AM

There a bunch of sub homages for about 300-500 dollars. Grovana makes an excellent one. As well as Armida and Squale. There are also some kickstarter brands using excellent movements. What I like is that they aren't Branded "Rolex" which is a plus for me. I borrowed my dad's Rolex Gold Datejust for a day and some friends were like "Rolex? Is it real?" lol.

MS, PA-C
Primary Care Medicine

#527 Joelseff

Joelseff

Primary Care PA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

Inside my trench coat hanging from a metal bar that extends when I open it to flash my wares.

This reminds me of Lenny from Good Times!

"My name is Lenny, if I ain't got it, there ain't any... "

Hahaha! I just dated myself 😕1e98ea4770d90e6a8fddbe1ce74935a2.jpg

MS, PA-C
Primary Care Medicine

#528 GetMeOuttaThisMess

GetMeOuttaThisMess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:52 AM

I'm now forbidden from further posting in this thread. I broke down and bought a $19 Casio at Wallyworld that has large digits, mild luminescence, and no fear of scratching/losing it. I frankly got a crick in my neck from looking at my empty wrist. No class, but gets the job done.

Addendum:  Ugh, tried to see dial this morning in bed and couldn't see anything glowing.  My wife said she could see it during the night.  It might help if I had more than one eye to use due to recurring blepharitis.  I'm now dehydrated from opening my right eye and half my body volume running out onto the pillow.
Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

#529 Joelseff

Joelseff

Primary Care PA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

I'm now forbidden from further posting in this thread. I broke down and bought a $19 Casio at Wallyworld that has large digits, mild luminescence, and no fear of scratching/losing it. I frankly got a crick in my neck from looking at my empty wrist. No class, but gets the job done.

Addendum: Ugh, tried to see dial this morning in bed and couldn't see anything glowing. My wife said she could see it during the night. It might help if I had more than one eye to use due to recurring blepharitis. I'm now dehydrated from opening my right eye and half my body volume running out onto the pillow.
Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Hang in there. Can't beat it for 19 bucks!

MS, PA-C
Primary Care Medicine

#530 GetMeOuttaThisMess

GetMeOuttaThisMess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

If I put it directly under a flashlight beam last night it does luminesce.  Now, take that extra money and get me a leather outside waistband holster for concealed carry.

• Joelseff likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users